Death of Morgan Spurlock from Cancer...

Hey guys, I just read this morning that Morgan Spurlock known for his "Super Size Me" documentary - a project that helped raise awareness of poor nutrition  - died yesterday. He was only 53 years old.  😞

Super Size Me chronicled his life for 30 days during which he ate literally nothing but McDonalds (burgers, fries, etc). He did become quite physically ill from doing this, the film was nominated for best documentary by the Academy that year.

I don't know what type of cancer he had not that it matters but I cannot help wondering if his 30-day excursion into eating nothing but junk food from McDonald's played a part in his acquiring the illness.

We know smoking impacts the lungs and can cause Cancer, I personally believe the food we eat negatively impacts our body and can also cause Cancer and other illnesses. 

Even if only for a short while, in his case 30 days straight after which he had to be hospitalized (I think, I'm going to re-watch the film tonight).

This is so sad.  His goal was raising awareness along with other media projects, doing good which may have possibly caused his own death. 

Wondering what your thoughts are about it, the correlation between what we eat and illness, serious illness?

I'm a sort of healthnut and have been for awhile.  However the other day I thought I'd try Burger King's plant-based whopper.  I hate half and vomited an hour later and felt like crap the rest of the day. 

Anyway RIP Morgan.

It's pretty fascinating the food industry....

I highly recommend watching "Food Inc." about the huge food corporations and the food we eat. It's an eye opener. Albeit, I became a vegetarian following watching it for several years, until I became severely anemic.

It takes I think a few cents for the food industry to make a cheeseburger and then they pump it with addictive additives, etc. That's why it tastes sooooooooo good 😆😬

I recently joined an environmental group for climate change and it's a real eye opener, I know my carbon footprint isn't the best but continually learning and fixing things, it's a process. 

But again, every industry has to start being environmentally aware and being proactive if we actually want a planet for our kids or future generations.

I think his death is a testament to the impact our food choices have on our health. While I can't say for sure that his 30-day McDonald's diet was the direct cause of his cancer, it certainly couldn't have helped. 

There have been numerous studies linking a diet high in processed foods, sugar, and red meat to an increased risk of cancer and other chronic diseases. I am not sure his death has been officially confirmed, but correlation does not always equal causation.

Eating junk food for 30 days may have weakened his immune system, making him more susceptible to illnesses, but I am not sure it is the sole cause of his death. 

Obese people are at a higher risk for a variety of illnesses, including cancer, so I don't doubt that his experiment could have resulted in negative health consequences. But I also know that countless people have eaten junk food for decades without developing serious illnesses.

• Thanks 1

You do know that “Super Size Me” is a pseudoscience? And that there is no scientific proof in anything he presented there? Many, and I mean, many real scientists tried to replicate his results. None of them managed. Because they are simply not real. If you are an alcoholic, ofcourse your liver would be bad. No matter if you eat McDonalds(I dunno why anyone eats there at all but tgat is a different matter) or not. Ofcourse eating at McDonalds is not healthy. But far from what is presented there.

Also food does impacts your health, that is not the issue here. Lots of cancerogenic things there in certain food. But he probably didnt got cancer from 30 day McDonalds. He was an alcie even then. That fact maybe has more to do with cancer part.

Also, will include link of debunkong his lies when I get home since I cant seem to copy it from my mobile from some reason lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

You do know that “Super Size Me” is a pseudoscience?

No I had not read that.

20 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

Also, will include link of debunkong his lies when I get home..

Please do.  I will research myself as well.  I'm open to hearing both the positives and negatives and will decide what to believe afterwards.

It wouldn't surprise me though.  There have been a few instances where it's come out that someone completely lied or fabricated a story for money and publicity. 

I recall reading about a man, James Frey, who wrote "A Million Little Pieces."

Apparently the book was all the rage at the time, Oprah Winfrey gave it high praise and had him on her show.  He made tons of money from it.

Turned out it was all lies. 

That doesn't negate the correlation between food and illness though IMO. 

Especially fast food.  I mean I didn't throw up after eating Burger King (fast food chain in the US like McDonald's) for no reason. 

But thanks for enlightening me, again I had not read about any of that. 

You also know he was an alcoholic during the making of that film, which completely affected all his numbers and he chose not to disclose that until a reporter found it years later. That, as a long-term condition likely had a greater affect on his health. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I occasionally eat fast food like Mcdonalds when we travel. (and I eat at higher end casual places like starbucks breakfast sandwiches and Subway sandwiches, pizza -I have my own combo with lots of veggies( Typically at McD I'll eat a chicken breast sandwich with tomato, open face -half the bread.  And a yummy hot fudge sundae.  I eat reasonably healthy.  I am slim and fit and 57.  I just had a coronary artery calcium screen where a score of zero -zero blockage/zero calcium deposits - is somewhat unusual.  And that's what I got.  I'm not a health nut but I'm reasonable and do portion control and quit smoking in 1982 and don't drink (used to have a half glass of wine once a month or so years ago).  No illegal drugs and I quit diet soda basically some years ago.  But yes I have a sweet tooth, yes I eat some fast food and processed food, and that scan was reassuring! I have genetically high cholestorol but a good ratio.  I saw that movie - it was kind of gross especially the amount he ate.  RIP I am sorry he passed away so young!

8 minutes ago, arjumand said:

You also know he was an alcoholic during the making of that film, which completely affected all his numbers and he chose not to disclose that until a reporter found it years later. That, as a long-term condition likely had a greater affect on his health. 

Yes.

He also admitted to being accused of rape during his college years and resolving a sexual harassment case with a female assistant (he had a history of sexual misconduct). The Associated Press stated that he felt compelled to share this information in order to contribute to finding a solution.

The validity of his claim that eating exclusively McDonald's food for 30 days caused his liver dysfunction has also been called into question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I occasionally eat fast food like Mcdonalds when we travel. (and I eat at higher end casual places like starbucks breakfast sandwiches and Subway sandwiches, pizza -I have my own combo with lots of veggies( Typically at McD I'll eat a chicken breast sandwich with tomato, open face -half the bread.  And a yummy hot fudge sundae.  I eat reasonably healthy.  I am slim and fit and 57.  I just had a coronary artery calcium screen where a score of zero -zero blockage/zero calcium deposits - is somewhat unusual.  And that's what I got.  I'm not a health nut but I'm reasonable and do portion control and quit smoking in 1982 and don't drink (used to have a half glass of wine once a month or so years ago).  No illegal drugs and I quit diet soda basically some years ago.  But yes I have a sweet tooth, yes I eat some fast food and processed food, and that scan was reassuring! I have genetically high cholestorol but a good ratio.

Genetics play such a significant role in our health and it sounds like your body is doing a great job managing your genetic cholesterol issue. My aunt, started smoking ciggs at age 16, she's going to be 90 soon and still smokes, but my mother's side seems to live to a grand old age despite less savory habits.

I think, in the case of Super Size Me, the author just wanted to eat at McDonalds for a month while grabbing the data along with it. I don't think he was promoting the notion that eating McD food every day for a month would be a healthy choice. I suspect he was at best somewhat anti-McDon's - likely more neutral - but maybe predisposed to see an evil side to it.

Perhaps his history with sexual misconduct and substance abuse were the more likely danger signs in relation to his death. Correlation does not always equal causation. Just because someone engaged in a particular behavior before experiencing a health issue, does not necessarily mean that behavior caused the issue.

Additionally, our understanding of nutrition and dietary choices has evolved since the release of Super Size Me in 2004. While we know that eating a diet high in fast food and processed foods is not ideal for overall health, it's just one piece of the puzzle. Other factors, such as genetics, lifestyle choices, and environment, all play a role in our health and well-being.

It's tragic that Morgan Spurlock passed away at such a young age, and our thoughts go out to his family and loved ones. But it's important to approach his death with caution and not jump to conclusions about the cause. 

1 hour ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Please do.  I will research myself as well.  I'm open to hearing both the positives and negatives and will decide what to believe afterwards.

For example, Swedish University tried to replicate his results. Not only its dubious that you can even take 5000 calories at McDonalds in 3 meals like he did(where one BigMac with large fries and one large coke lands you 1000) but they didnt get nothing anywhere his results. 6000 calories of fast food in their case ended up with 5-15% extra weight(which is not surprising, you are overeating after all) and that is about it. No mood swings, no liver damage and other stuff. Which suggests that Morgan results are because of something else. For example, excessive drinking. As he literally lied in a documentary how he doesnt drink. While admitting when he was pressed about sexual harassment that he hasnt been sober for a week for 30 years(since he was 13 year old).

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2006/sep/07/healthandwellbeing.health

Again, that isnt to say how McDonalds is healthy. Preparing questionable meat quality under some light and serving that to people certainly isnt the definition of health. Just that Morgan simply wanted a sensationalist story to sell. And he did just that. Earned 11 million at box office for something that didnt cost him too much to make and even an Oscar nomination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years and years ago I saw his "30 days:minimum wage" and I was permanently put off by the man and his "work". It left such a bad taste in my mouth. Him and his partner could not have been more out of touch with the realities people who are not born to money live in. It was like a gross play at being poor for kicks, so detached! 

Bit of tangent there but it's all I can think of when he is mentioned ever since. 

• Like 2

He heavily tried to skew the results. When you eat 5000 calories a day and give up on all exercise, it's not really shocking if your weight shoots up and your health goes down the drain. I've also never heard anyone claim fast food is healthy for you. So why would you even think eating only fast food would be a good idea or that the results would be a huge surprise?

That's not to say the main point of the documentary wasn't valid and something to take to heart. Just that there have many other documentaries that have explored the same concept with a bit more honesty and sincerity.

As far as fast food itself goes, you can't even claim it's a cheaper option these days. A value meal runs you around $10. My friend was addicted to McDonalds since childhood. A few months ago she was out and needed to grab something. A Happy Meal came to $12. She said that's cured her of the addiction. For the cost, might as well go a local mom and pop and pay the same price for more food and probably higher quality. When you add in the health concerns, it's no wonder we've stopped going outside of a Whopper (with coupon) maybe every other month.

https://www.themarysue.com/super-size-me-controversy-explained/

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/fy8g3o/what_was_wrong_with_supesize_me/

8 hours ago, yogacat said:

I highly recommend watching "Food Inc." about the huge food corporations and the food we eat. It's an eye opener. Albeit, I became a vegetarian following watching it for several years, until I became severely anemic.

FYI, it's free on Youtube if anyone is interested. 

I'd also recommend That Sugar Film, a 2014 Australian documentary. Similar concept, a man switches from a diet of no refined sugars to one of the same caloric intake and low in fat but high in sugar. You really see the affect all the processed sugar added to food has on us.

Also goes into detail on the "bliss point." It's the peak level of sugar companies have figured out they can add to make a food more tasty and desirable so we become hooked on it. Interestingly, anything above that becomes too much and turns people off.

Here's the trailer. Full film is on youtube, but it's saying you need to login to an account to watch it.

9 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

For example, Swedish University tried to replicate his results. Not only its dubious that you can even take 5000 calories at McDonalds in 3 meals like he did(where one BigMac with large fries and one large coke lands you 1000) but they didnt get nothing anywhere his results. 6000 calories of fast food in their case ended up with 5-15% extra weight(which is not surprising, you are overeating after all) and that is about it. No mood swings, no liver damage and other stuff. Which suggests that Morgan results are because of something else. For example, excessive drinking. As he literally lied in a documentary how he doesnt drink. While admitting when he was pressed about sexual harassment that he hasnt been sober for a week for 30 years(since he was 13 year old).

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2006/sep/07/healthandwellbeing.health

Again, that isnt to say how McDonalds is healthy. Preparing questionable meat quality under some light and serving that to people certainly isnt the definition of health. Just that Morgan simply wanted a sensationalist story to sell. And he did just that. Earned 11 million at box office for something that didnt cost him too much to make and even an Oscar nomination. 

Interesting video, I just watched.  I'll be watching Super Size Me in a few, it's streaming on Peacock. 

What's funny is after watching the video, I'm craving a Big Mac!  Lol. I like the Filet O Fish at McDonald's too.  

I dunno though I don't feel like throwing up again like I did after eating Burger King.

I think why it affects me is because I eat mostly salads, veggies, beans and fruits.  I've gotten pretty creative so never get bored eating.  

The fast food was a major shock to my system! 

Everything in moderation I suppose.  

Food, Inc. is on Peacock too, that's next after Super Size.  Thanks for the recommendation @yogacat.

@ShySoulI can't open the links for some reason.  

Anyway I'm disappointed to learn what a scam artist Spurlock was, still sad about his death though.  So young. 

Stay healthy guys!  Life's too short! 

• Like 1

So guys, I just watched and a few thoughts.  

1.  It wasn't where he ate per se (McDonalds) it was the amount of food he ate!   I mean was it necessary to eat an egg mcmuffin and a sausage biscuit and a 40 ounce coke for breakfast?  

For lunch a double quarter pounder with cheese, a pound of fries and another 40 ounce coke?  

For dinner three big macs, another super size fries and another 40 ounce coke?

It showed him vomiting after lunch but hello, any person might vomit after eating such a large amount of food even when dining in using organic ingredients to make the extremely large half-pound burger with cheese and baking a pound of potatoes in the oven versus frying.  

So that was ridiculous..

2.  I think it's fairly obvious to most people that his weight gain and feeling like crap and depressed was in large part due to the amount of sugar he ingested at every meal  - 43 teaspoons of sugar in a 40 ounce coke at every meal.

No one forced him to order that, it was HIS choice.

Okay, McDonald's bad for selling the super size but where does personal responsibility come into play?  

I got the feeling at least one of his doctors who overplayed his liver failure was a fraud.   In it for the $$$ and publicity to say whatever needed to be said for shock value and increase revenue.

The film wasn't boring I'll give him that.  But @Kwothe28and others you were right, he exaggerated much of it and again there was no reason he had to ingest 5000 calories per day.

One could actually lose weight eating at McDonald's if they ate reasonably.

One egg mcmuffin for breakfast with coffee and sugar substitute.

A salad for lunch with a quarter of the dressing in the packet which is enough and a diet coke. 

For dinner, a fish filet sandwich which is approximately 370-390 calories and water.  Could probably even have a dessert and eat half!  

If I were the executives at McDonald's, I'd be pissed and consider suing for slander. 

McDonald's and other fast food chains aren't the problem imo. It's that some people have no self-discipline and take no personal responsibility for their own choices. 

Let's just blame McDonald's, maybe even sue like two teenage girls did although the judge tossed out, good for him (or her).

No personal responsibility at all.

Am I wrong for feeling this way guys? Too judgmental?   I'm just a big proponent of personal responsibility, that's all.  

Granted there are a lot of preservatives and sodium in fast food but many frozen foods have same if not more!

Anyway glad I watched it again.  I had quite a bit of a different take than I did the first time years ago. 

Food, Inc. is next!  I'm really enjoying my night!  😀

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ShySoul said:

FYI, it's free on Youtube if anyone is interested. 

Thanks for sharing the link for RAR, Shysoul!

@rainbowsandroses -- forewarning, it's a very difficult film to watch. It really delves into the dark side of our food system and the inhumane treatment of animals and workers.

The film shook me to my core and led me to become a vegetarian for several years. While I would like to return to a plant-based diet, I have to be cautious because I became severely anemic and suffered from symptoms similar to Fibromyalgia. I was heavily supplemented with Vitamin D and Iron to manage the pain and discomfort in my body and return my energy levels back to normal. 

Not everyone will experience the same symptoms by being 100% vegetarian or vegan (and most don't), I think it was my fault for how I handled my own diet, however it taught me a valuable lesson in balance and how to listen to my own body's needs.

I believe in the power of a plant-based diet to heal and nourish, but for myself, I have had to incorporate small amounts of animal protein back into my meals to maintain a healthy balance and prevent deficiencies.

The film also covers genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in our food supply. Seeds are being genetically altered to resist pesticides and produce higher yields, so our food has become increasingly dependent on chemicals. 

Think about how that might start to alter your own genetic makeup from the inside out, if you continually consume these substances, that have not yet been fully tested for long term human consumption.

I highly recommend watching Food Inc. It may be difficult to stomach at times, but it is an eye-opening and thought-provoking look at the food industry and the corporations that control them. 

What's just as or even more concerning to me is the relentless pressure especially on women (I am a member of several mom FB groups with thousands of members) to buy special water, supplements (above and beyond typical vitamins or a vitamin D or magnesium supplement etc), special powders to drink their calories via smoothies, do intermittent fasting as a rule rather than an exception, and demonize anything with sugar, anything with a bad fat (meaning any amount is "bad" and you can do this you can give up all sugar and all saturated fat -where it's not essential to go cold turkey), allll the talk dismissing a love of food (meaning live to eat instead of eat to live) as unhealthy emotionally, an addiction, needing a dopamine fix whatever. 

It's crazy making especially from my perspective as someone who had an (undiagnosed but real!) eating disorder for years in my teens and early 20s and it took me years to go back to being in tune with my hunger and fullness cues, and enjoying food again.  I love food -and I am very reasonable with portion control and knowing my body and I've been thin all my life except for 6 months or so on a bad BC pill and when I was preggers. 

I see so much unhealthy yo yo dieting, so much $$$ spent on ready to eat meals from some diet program.  You know slicing and dicing fresh fruit and veggies for me and my son can be annoying, time consuming, painful when you peel your finger instead- but why should I spend $$$$ on a ready made fruit or veggie salad when a side dish of fresh fruit and reasonably low processed lower sugar yogurt is enjoyed by  him? I peel and slice up cucumber and add tomato and avocado to most of my meals -takes a bit of extra time, avocado can get pricey but then I'm eating something fresh and raw with a meal and if the meal isn't perfect it balances it out a bit. Why should I drink my calories unless I really love smoothies and don't like the texture of different foods? 

In my third trimester I had this weird intense craving for red meat and I went to a fast casual chain that doesn't exist any longer for burgers once or  twice a week.  Higher end and so yummy and felt -right (other craving was baked potato-don't ask).  As a result my numbers weren't great post pregnancy - cholesterol etc.  But the craving faded so ..... I then ate a lot less red meat and .. went back to pre-pregnancy numbers. 

No it's not good to overeat anything more than very rarely  and -- I chose to indulge, then acted reasonably after.  It doesn't have to be extremes with exceptions - exceptions meaning diabetes, similar health conditions but in my FB groups it's become the norm to push all this fancy, questionably studied $$$ stuff often through an MLM adn to me that's as bad as trying to convince people to eat more fast food because it's convenient and "fun" etc.

• Like 1
On 5/25/2024 at 8:04 AM, rainbowsandroses said:

Granted there are a lot of preservatives and sodium in fast food but many frozen foods have same if not more!

That is true. But usually people dont really think about what they eat. For example "wieners" or shall we say "hot dogs" are made from very dubious quality of meat. "Meat remains" if you would like to call them that. Something that you are left once you strip the chicken of real meat. And then just get painted and added artificial flavors. That and "grinded meat" from which you make burgers are some of the most questionable meats around. But people eat them because they are cheaper alternatives for real meat like the nice steak which could be expensive. Lots of people are simply not informed about it. In rural environments they do(or we can say they did before) lots of stuff by themselves so if you are from there you can see the process. But lots of stuff now is just "factory made". Somebody from the town probably didnt even see farm animal unless they visited farm. Let alone knows how the process of making the meat from those animals goes.

With eating and life, I imagine the age old corny phase of “balance!” surely is key here? 

Unless you are going to go hardcore, off grid, raise your own chickens and cows and grow your own vegetables, fish from the stream, triple filter the mountain water… western humans will mostly be coming across processed food, junk food - sugar. It’s undeniably bad. Like others have said, the problem is you can’t really get air tight research on how sugar and junk food affect us because it does depend on the individual and their genetic makeup! Some people can smoke cigars all their life to 95. Some people are marathon running health nuts and get cancer at 35. The majority of people live moderate lives doing moderate activity and “normal” eating habits that include junk food and plenty of sugar. It seems the average outcome for western life is 1 in 3 adults will get cancer at some point of their life.

You can do all you can to minimise this risk, like exercising daily, plenty of water, no alcohol, no smoking, no junk food - but is this a realistic way to live your whole life every single day? 

Most people enjoy a drink, enjoy a burger, enjoy chocolate… and will eat it, even though I think we all know it’s not great for us. We want to enjoy our lives and live in the moment for the most part. 

I found when you’re young, you can get away with quite a lot of abuse of your body. Drink a lot, eat badly and retain a wash board stomach for years. You can coast by on 4 hours of sleep for 3 years and display beautiful, bright skin! 

I feel like we’re biological machines - like some kind of living breathing car. We start out zippy and the light or heavy useage and mileage all adds up, depending on THE CAR and the driver! 

There is, I heard, I can’t remember the name of it, a test you can have done which isolates a gene code which kind of, predicts roughly the near years of your death, or how long you are likely to live. If anyone knows anything about this… I read it so long ago? Something about Epigenetic DNA testing? And your “true biological age?” 

It’s obviously not an exact science - but interesting, and terrifying! I suppose we have some control in our choices but not all, as we may have thought before! 

I also like @Batya33 had an eating disorder and was rail thin for many years, didn’t eat many carbs and never ate bread for a whole year. Was my ultra healthy diet healthy? My long runs and my fast walking everywhere? My steamed chicken and peas for dinner? I don’t know. I do know that mentally I was quite unhappy being “ultra healthy” and lived in a constant state of guilt and denial and temptation - it was torturous. I also too @Batya33 during my first pregnancy massively craved steak! How funny! Was probably deficient in iron?

Moderation is the realistic option I think. It would be interesting to have seen that same experiment on 10 different people. It might not have affected some as badly -  I think probably likely. 

There’s no doubt eating fast food makes you sluggish at the least. Or overeating. But caning it on a junk food bender for 30 days? My guess is for a normal person, it’s going to make you feel sluggish and ill and put on weight but definitely not be life threatening? 

Maybe I can sign onto the new experiment now as I think I could go 30 days drinking chocolate milkshake quite happily 🤣 

x

34 minutes ago, mylolita said:

With eating and life, I imagine the age old corny phase of “balance!” surely is key here? 

Unless you are going to go hardcore, off grid, raise your own chickens and cows and grow your own vegetables, fish from the stream, triple filter the mountain water… western humans will mostly be coming across processed food, junk food - sugar. It’s undeniably bad. Like others have said, the problem is you can’t really get air tight research on how sugar and junk food affect us because it does depend on the individual and their genetic makeup! Some people can smoke cigars all their life to 95. Some people are marathon running health nuts and get cancer at 35. The majority of people live moderate lives doing moderate activity and “normal” eating habits that include junk food and plenty of sugar. It seems the average outcome for western life is 1 in 3 adults will get cancer at some point of their life.

You can do all you can to minimise this risk, like exercising daily, plenty of water, no alcohol, no smoking, no junk food - but is this a realistic way to live your whole life every single day? 

Most people enjoy a drink, enjoy a burger, enjoy chocolate… and will eat it, even though I think we all know it’s not great for us. We want to enjoy our lives and live in the moment for the most part. 

I found when you’re young, you can get away with quite a lot of abuse of your body. Drink a lot, eat badly and retain a wash board stomach for years. You can coast by on 4 hours of sleep for 3 years and display beautiful, bright skin! 

I feel like we’re biological machines - like some kind of living breathing car. We start out zippy and the light or heavy useage and mileage all adds up, depending on THE CAR and the driver! 

There is, I heard, I can’t remember the name of it, a test you can have done which isolates a gene code which kind of, predicts roughly the near years of your death, or how long you are likely to live. If anyone knows anything about this… I read it so long ago? Something about Epigenetic DNA testing? And your “true biological age?” 

It’s obviously not an exact science - but interesting, and terrifying! I suppose we have some control in our choices but not all, as we may have thought before! 

I also like @Batya33 had an eating disorder and was rail thin for many years, didn’t eat many carbs and never ate bread for a whole year. Was my ultra healthy diet healthy? My long runs and my fast walking everywhere? My steamed chicken and peas for dinner? I don’t know. I do know that mentally I was quite unhappy being “ultra healthy” and lived in a constant state of guilt and denial and temptation - it was torturous. I also too @Batya33 during my first pregnancy massively craved steak! How funny! Was probably deficient in iron?

Moderation is the realistic option I think. It would be interesting to have seen that same experiment on 10 different people. It might not have affected some as badly -  I think probably likely. 

There’s no doubt eating fast food makes you sluggish at the least. Or overeating. But caning it on a junk food bender for 30 days? My guess is for a normal person, it’s going to make you feel sluggish and ill and put on weight but definitely not be life threatening? 

Maybe I can sign onto the new experiment now as I think I could go 30 days drinking chocolate milkshake quite happily 🤣 

x

Yup old fashioned balance works great for me too!! My mom used to go to her OB when she was pregnant to get weighed -1960s when women weren't supposed to gain too much.  Doc would chide her a bit (no she didn't gain a lot at all -but this was back then) -then she said she'd go down the block to the ice cream parlor -double thick chocolate milkshake oh and please add a raw egg lol, My mom has always been slim and thin and is 89 and -mostly doing -so so so well.  

Yes to worse at sleep deprivation plus worse effects from eating crappy food than in my teens/20s/30s.  

Let's go for balance, for sure.

• Like 1
Just now, Batya33 said:

Yup old fashioned balance works great for me too!! My mom used to go to her OB when she was pregnant to get weighed -1960s when women weren't supposed to gain too much.  Doc would chide her a bit (no she didn't gain a lot at all -but this was back then) -then she said she'd go down the block to the ice cream parlor -double thick chocolate milkshake oh and please add a raw egg lol, My mom has always been slim and thin and is 89 and -mostly doing -so so so well.  

Yes to worse at sleep deprivation plus worse effects from eating crappy food than in my teens/20s/30s.  

Let's go for balance, for sure.

Great story Batya!!! 

My Mum was always painfully thin and she ate shortbread by the bucket load when pregnant with me and my sister! 

I’m slim but not ultra healthy. I need to drink less caffeine, cut out all the sugar, and the carbs… oh… carbs! *Sings in Italian!* 

I think, especially if you have been through phases of extreme dieting, or are susceptible to addictive dieting or restricting, or obsessive exercising; health news and health fads and health documentaries can be especially thought provoking. I still watch them, and I did see the Supersize Me when I came out - but for my own personal sanity, I try not to delve into things too deeply or I can get a little too intense.

I once started researching the chemicals and hormones in regular tap water and it terrified me! I started asking my husband if we should get these super duper filter systems. He was like, “Come on! Lighten up!” 

You can only do so much before you restrict and drive yourself quite nuts. 

I did notice whilst being on holiday how much my sister drinks. It shocked me a little because it seemed mood driven and like a regular thing. Others have mentioned the Supersize host was an alcoholic at the time? He does look unwell with a grey complexion. And this was to start off? 

I’ve added way more protein to my diet lately (organic chicken, steak, fish) and feel much better! I’m kind of allergic to eggs, they make me feel queasy but I still eat them once a week. 

People need to do what fits in with their lifestyle and what makes them feel good I think! McDonalds once every couple of weeks is not gonna harm I imagine. Things in moderation I guess? 

x

18 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I think, especially if you have been through phases of extreme dieting, or are susceptible to addictive dieting or restricting, or obsessive exercising; health news and health fads and health documentaries can be especially thought provoking. I still watch them, and I did see the Supersize Me when I came out - but for my own personal sanity, I try not to delve into things too deeply or I can get a little too intense.

Yes.  I have to be very careful as well and for the exact same reasons.  I also have to watch myself for too much portion control or focusing on what did I eat/how much etc. 

My mom was raised on heavy cream and butter -like in hot cereal or in ..... anything. It was thought to be very healthy especially for kids in the 1930s/40s.  

I am much older than you -I did -reduce caffeine/increase water/somewhat reduce simple carbs over the years. Not in any drastic way.  For the same reasons  you wrote above.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Yes.  I have to be very careful as well and for the exact same reasons.  I also have to watch myself for too much portion control or focusing on what did I eat/how much etc. 

My mom was raised on heavy cream and butter -like in hot cereal or in ..... anything. It was thought to be very healthy especially for kids in the 1930s/40s.  

I am much older than you -I did -reduce caffeine/increase water/somewhat reduce simple carbs over the years. Not in any drastic way.  For the same reasons  you wrote above.  

This is interesting Batya and reassuring to hear! 

In all the health crisis we can also become health obsessed and over focused on it at the other end also! 

I always think - better to eat full fat, full sugar, full anything, than to consume zero fat or zero sugar things that are simply compensated with chemicals like sweeteners and plastics, because if I were to have a guess, chemical sweeteners to me seem worse health wise than real sugar in moderation? 

I have to watch myself too although these days I have indulged and never stopped! I realise before it was trendy, I was doing without knowing a kind of intermittent fasting, and I would also drastically compensate for food eaten. Friends would say, “But you ate 4 doughnuts in front of us!” They didn’t see or realise that because of that, that’s pretty much all I ate all day. 

Anorexia is deceitful and secretive and I would often lie. Technically I did eat very well in front of people, but I chose to be alone a lot and for the most part hardly ate at all when alone. 

I have and always will probably have, a love hate relationship with all food - healthy or unhealthy! 🥴

x

• Like 1