Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Congratulations to your son!

So sad. Someone I knew from church committed suicide this week. She used to sit near me in church, and I wish I had talked with her more. I just cannot imagine how hopeless and defeated she must have felt.

One of my cousins committed suicide about four years ago. He was only 19, a star athlete, and an eagle scout. It was so abrupt. I was left thinking along the same lines as you. I had no idea that he was going through such a difficult time. I wish there was something I could have helped with, but I just didn't know.

My friend's son and daughter in law and grandson just moved back into town. They don't have jobs yet, and are expecting a new baby in the fall. So my friend offered them a chance to live in her rental house. Right now they are staying with my friend while they paint and get the house ready, but they are starting to move some things in.

My friend went over to make sure the yard was ready for them to move in, and to her surprise there were 3 pot plants newly planted in the back yard! Apparently her son decided he wanted them, and it is legal here.

Well, my friend wouldn't have any of that at her property, and told her son to get rid of the plants by Monday.

I just laughed and laughed. I think it is funny. She is not amused.

If it were a real tenant, I don't know if you can dictate what people plant in their back yard (legally) but I do know she can say it is a no smoking house. But, it is her son, so she is calling the shots.

Oh, they ate talking about making it legal here but don't know if that will ever happen. Yes, funny situation!

It is weird having it legal now. Well, the medical is legal and that is great, but recreational is another story. It is strange to come across someone with the bloodshot eyes and general spacey-ness and you just know they are high.

Like yesterday, I was in the grocery last evening. There was a guy that went in about the same time I did - about 35 or 40 years old. His eyes were quite bloodshot. Anyhow, I was looking at greeting cards that happened to be in the same aisle as candy. He was just standing there staring at all the candy for the longest time.

I got what I needed and went off to another part of the store, and I saw him in different aisles. Later, when I went to check out, I went down the candy aisle to get to the cash register. He was back there, staring at the candy again. Lol. I'm sure he was high, and had the munchies.

No smoking pot until they have jobs!!

She is not going to look for a job because her baby is due in a few months.

He is looking, and already had a series of interviews with one place. It seems like it went well, but he has not heard back from them for a week.

Some places will do drug testing before employment. My son went through a series of interviews with a scientific research place and they called him to say that the next step would be drug testing. He told them that would be fine but would likely test positive for pot because he had a medical card for his migraines. He never heard back from them - even though it is legal here. But in the end he got a great job elsewhere anyway.

I got what I needed and went off to another part of the store, and I saw him in different aisles. Later, when I went to check out, I went down the candy aisle to get to the cash register. He was back there, staring at the candy again. Lol. I'm sure he was high, and had the munchies.

One of the last times I smoked pot, my friend made us a delicious steak dinner. I don't know where he learned to cook, but his cooking is phenomenal. Afterwards, we had apple pie with ice cream. That apple pie was the most amazing thing I ever tasted in my life! The problem with pot (and any drug, really) is that if you do it too much, it becomes less effective.

He told them that would be fine but would likely test positive for pot because he had a medical card for his migraines. He never heard back from them - even though it is legal here. But in the end he got a great job elsewhere anyway.

Something like that happened to me, once. It was while I was in college, home for summer break. My friend had arranged to get me an interview with a nearby warehouse. The interview went really well, but at the very end, the guy said, "You'll need to pass a drug test."

I knew I'd need a miracle to pass. I don't remember if I told that to the guy, but I remember him saying to me, "Don't take the drug test if you think you're not going to pass, because you'll never be able to get a job with this company in the future, if you fail." Still, I contemplated the various drug-test thwarting tricks that I'd heard of.

I called my mom after the interview and told her how it went down. She said, "You can pass the drug test, right?" When I hesitated, She said "YOU CAN PASS THE DRUG TEST, RIGHT????" Hahaha.

I ended up not taking the test.

• Like 1

So here is the latest on my friend's house and her son's pot plants.

First off, she and her husband have been remodeling this house for 5 months in anticipation of her son and daughter in law and grandson would move back into the country. And of course they would need a place to stay. And since they have a toddler that us her first grandson, they wanted to entice them to move to the area. Hence the house.

Well, the pot plants are still there. Her son came over to have a talk with his mom, and said that he wants to move into a place where he can be himself and make the place his own. And I get that. (I had told my friend that since pot is legal here, I was not sure if she could say what a tenant could grow in his yard. But I do know she can stipulate no smoking in the house.)

She told him how she felt about having the plants in her yard. He listened but did not back down. He said they would go look at different places to live if needed.

Of course that may be difficult because he just got back into the country and does not yet have a job. And they were not going to charge much rent - maybe $700 a month for the house, and no rent until he gets a job. But the plants are still there.

She feels very hurt because of all of the expense and hard work they have put into the place.

It is not like they can compromise - (like, lol, only one plant instead of two).

In the long run I suspect she will win on this - unless he gets a great job.

I'll keep you posted.

She feels very hurt because of all of the expense and hard work they have put into the place.

It sucks when things turn out like that. Hopefully both parties will reach an amicable agreement. It's really nice of his parents to fix up the house and let them use it.

If it's just one plant, he is not likely smoking much. I'm no expert though. I smoked it here and there as a teen, but only had it less than a handful of times as an adult. When I go into the regional centres, I always see people in the street who look like ice or heroin addicts. They ate pretty scary to me. Marijuana though is not even really as harmful. As having a few drinks. It doesn't seem worth it though with the problems a conviction has on employment.

Well, it is 3 plants actually. It is legal for each household to have up to 4 plants, I understand.

My friend told me that she thought about it and decided that if he is going to smoke it, then he might as well use his own plants because then he will know what is in it.

I think she is resigned that he is an adult and she can't dictate his life any more. Plus, she really wants to be able to spend time with her grandson, so she wants to keep a good relationship with her son for that.