Do you like tattoos on the opposite sex?

turnthepage

So it's really not superficial, especially since most people tend to act how they really are, their personality coming out.

It's facile to say you can really get to know someone from meeting them once. I'm not saying the "we knew we were meant to be together the first time we met" thing never happens, but I believe it's extremely rare outside of the movies. What you're more likely to experience is a certain "side" to their personality, depending on their mood, how their day has gone, what environment they're in etc. This is what you're assessing. If they seem overtly rude, you're going to be left with a bad impression.

What I'm trying to say is, it's very easy to judge a book by its cover. People do it without even realising it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a curious question. I am thinking of getting one and don't particularly care what a guy would think, but I am curious.

What do females think? Lately I really like edgier guys with a tattoo or three.

I am thinking of getting a quote somewhere.. or if I am feeling super ambitious maybe a food web or a cladogram.. but that's the science geek in me.

Would it ever put you off someone?

A very personal tattoo that tells a story and done by an artist can be beautiful.

Tramp stamps and quotes are for sheeple, not people.

Tramp stamps and quotes are for sheeple, not people.

but this is a stereotype also, maybe that "tramp stamp" doesn't indicate "trampyness" but actually means something to the person who has it, just happens to also be on her lower back. Same with quotes, that quote may be something meaningful, words to live by. One of my friends has a quote, if you saw her you would think she was a sheeple i geuss, but if you actually talked to her, you would realize the quote was advice her grandfather said to her on his death bed.

I have another friend who has one word on her shoulder that summarizes a meaningful period of time in her life.

I don't think it fair to assume that the style of the tattoo means it isn't meaningful simply because it may be a popular style at the time

I like tattoos if they are small and subtle, but what I really don't get are the young starlets that have what looks like a recipe for Kraft Dinner on their back.

...Still I would take tats over facial piercing any day. Absolutely hate facial piercing. ( I keep thinking of metal fish-hooks stuck in your lips or eyebrows, or metal warts on your nose ) Ugh!

Would it ever put you off someone?

You will this kind of thing is somehow always split 50/50. Some people love them and others find them off-putting. It is a very personal thing and it YOU like them, and want one, then get one. Some of your friends will think it's awesome and the others may think, "yuck", lol.

For myself, I feel the same way sara=pezzini does, lol.

Personally, I think they are trashy. In the old days they were commonly associated with thugs, criminals and bikies. Nowadays people want to be independent, so what do they do? Get a tattoo of course.

I tend to stay away from people who have them - I think it shows a lack of respect for the body. Think about how your "cool" tattoo will look in 50 years when you sag!

I generally like tattoos on men, but do not really have a preference. Most guys I've dated seriously do not have tattoos.

I have three that are not always hidden and one is rather large (although that one can be easily covered). If a man doesn't like them, I just assume we aren't going to bother dating one another. But mine are dorky enough that it usually attracts the kind of guys I like.

I think the best one is.. if someone will judge me for having a well thought out, unconventional tattoo then they are probably not worth knowing.

So what if it's a potential employer that wants to hire you? I seriously know people in high end careers who won't hire people with tattoos (even though it's illegal... they don't have to tell you that reason for not getting the job and could make something else up to avoid lawsuit).

Tattoos have both positive and negative connotations depending on someone's culture. For example, if you go to Japan they link removed people with tattoos to enter bath houses because tattoos resemble the Yakuza. Google link removed and you'll see what I mean. Even if you never planning to go there... my point is you open yourself up to cultural discrimination.

I disagree that tattoos make a person look like individual since a lot of people get the same Chinese pictogram (that could mean "Soup" instead of "Courage" if you get the Big Bang Theory reference) or T-stamp heart tattoo. Your personality should be the only thing that sets you apart.

When people ask why I don't have a tattoo, I tend to smile and say "Would you put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari?" But that's just being my snarky self.

It's your body... do what your want, but just be prepared to handle criticism and judgement for choosing to have one.

There's no delicate way of saying this, so I'm just going to come out with it

Not that I disagree with the general consensus about tattoos here, but what difference does it make what they look like when you get older when, at some point, we all go to look like crap anyway? You might as well ask what the point of staying healthy is when death is eventually going to outwit you.

I disagree with the outlook of "do it now, worry about consequences later." and no, not everyone just goes to crap when they are older. Everyone loses their beauty over time but most still care how they look to some extent. I really don't even care much about my looks. I think it's very reasonable to not want an ink blob on my arm or whatever. It's just ugly.

I also don't like tattoos because I find them expensive. For what they are, they don't seem worth the money.

On a lesser point, I can see why people get them for self expression. I personally wouldn't do that but that is me. I am not one to show off who I am to everyone around me. I don't like to make a statement like that. I don't see tattoos as art, just ways to make statements. And if someone like me doesn't want to do that, then tattoos make no sense.

I forgot to add, be careful with employers. It's not always about them being judgemental. My job does not allow open tattoos. That means if it's on my back they don't care but arms? No way. I'm around patients and have to project a certain image. I come to work showered, with a clean face, no make up, and my hair pulled back, ready to do whatever. Tattoos could put off someone that I'm caring for and the hospital doesn't want that.

if you get a tattoo, make sure you can hide it. It's not worth tossing away good jobs for the sake of self expression. You may think it is now, but you will think differently if you were unemployed.

Personally, I think they are trashy. In the old days they were commonly associated with thugs, criminals and bikies. Nowadays people want to be independent, so what do they do? Get a tattoo of course.

I tend to stay away from people who have them - I think it shows a lack of respect for the body. Think about how your "cool" tattoo will look in 50 years when you sag!

It's a completely personal decision whether or not you find them attractive - but don't assume you know people's reasons or motivations for getting a tattoo. My good friends lost their teenage son in a car accident three years ago. Both of them as well as their now 18 year old daughter went out and got a tattoo with his favourite image and his name below it to commemorate their son (and her brother). Did they do it because they wanted to be "cool" or "independent"? No. Are they trashy criminals? No, they are a middle class couple from England who live around the corner from me in a very nice neighbourhood. They didn't care how "cool" it was going to look in 20 years when they are in their 60s.

And to THEM it was not a matter of disrespecting their body, but finding a way to honour their son. It might not be how you would do it, but lets try not to make value judgements on people simply because they have chosen to get a tattoo.

Say you don't find them attractive or that they are a turn off - that's fine. But don't assume you know who a person is, why they got the tattoo, or whether that is 'disrespectful' to their body. Only they can decide what is disrespectful to their body.

I have two tattoos. You can see one of them in my photo there. I plan to get another. I know that when I am older, it will blur or sag and won't look wonderful. Guess what? Neither will the rest of my body and that is fine...because both of my tattoos remind me of a period of my life that was very pivotal for me, and therefore permanently etched in my heart - why not my skin? My grandfather had a tattoo he got while he was in the Korean war. It was part of him. Yes it looked blurry when he was older, but it meant something very deep and profound to him and I knew he did not regret it.

Fudgie raised a point and I think it's the same for my fiance who works in a hospital. The OP with a Biology degree... it could limit her working in the health field (which a lot of Biology majors go). Not something you want to do.

Fudgie raised a point and I think it's the same for my fiance who works in a hospital. The OP with a Biology degree... it could limit her working in the health field (which a lot of Biology majors go). Not something you want to do.

I am a teacher. As long as you hide it (or can hide it) then it is generally not a problem. Unless she is planning to get the tattoo on her face or somewhere you can't conceal then it's a moot point. I think most of us with professions know better than to get a tattoo we can't hide.

Many people get them on their arms, which is a no no for the health field. My scrubs are short sleeved and you need something short sleeved in several jobs when you're doing heavy duty things. Don't always think you can count on long sleeved shirts. It may be too hot or not feasible.

Many people get them on their arms, which is a no no for the health field. My scrubs are short sleeved and you need something short sleeved in several jobs when you're doing heavy duty things. Don't always think you can count on long sleeved shirts. It may be too hot or not feasible.

It is a no no for the teaching profession as well - as you can see I have one on my upper arm. I made sure when I got it that I could cover it with short sleeves if I needed to wear them. I am sure the OP would be smart enough to do the same.

I forgot to add, be careful with employers. It's not always about them being judgemental. My job does not allow open tattoos. That means if it's on my back they don't care but arms? No way. I'm around patients and have to project a certain image. I come to work showered, with a clean face, no make up, and my hair pulled back, ready to do whatever. Tattoos could put off someone that I'm caring for and the hospital doesn't want that.

if you get a tattoo, make sure you can hide it. It's not worth tossing away good jobs for the sake of self expression. You may think it is now, but you will think differently if you were unemployed.

Personally, if I was in need of medical attention I wouldn't give a damn if the doctor or nurse looked like link removed. What's more important is that they understand medicine.

Yes, I know, the world doesn't work that way unfortunately. But I wonder if people are ever going to get over this idea that if someone looks different, they're either untrustworthy or incapable of performing certain tasks.

I am a teacher. As long as you hide it (or can hide it) then it is generally not a problem. Unless she is planning to get the tattoo on her face or somewhere you can't conceal then it's a moot point. I think most of us with professions know better than to get a tattoo we can't hide.

I'm a teacher too and yes it depends on where you hide the tattoo. They don't like teachers showing it off in school to children.

But see... think of it this way... why pay hundreds of dollars for a tattoo you're going to have to hide most of the time? It's a waste of money then.

Personally, if I was in need of medical attention I wouldn't give a damn if the doctor or nurse looked like The Enigma. What's more important is that they understand medicine.

There have been many cases of people going to sketchy tattoo parlors and the ink needles aren't clean. Then there's the risk of contracting Hep or HIV from those places. So protecting yourself while handling patients... I can see the liability there and how some patients would not be comfortable.

But see... think of it this way... why pay hundreds of dollars for a tattoo you're going to have to hide most of the time? It's a waste of money then.

Because most of the time it was never meant for others to see, that's not the point, it is for you to see. my tattoos are mostly invisible unless I am wearing a bathing suit, but when they are visible, i sometimes find creative ways to hide them so that i don't get asked by random strangers and nosy people what my tattoo means. many people give you dirty looks when you tell them it is non of their business, i didn't get my tattoos for other random people to comment on

I'm a teacher too and yes it depends on where you hide the tattoo. They don't like teachers showing it off in school to children.

But see... think of it this way... why pay hundreds of dollars for a tattoo you're going to have to hide most of the time? It's a waste of money then..

Because whether others see it or not is not why I got it. I am only at work 8 hours of the day (unless I am doing something extra curricular). During my off hours and the summer, I can wear tank tops, short sleaves, etc. I can look at it all I want then if I want to and show it off if I want to. But showing it off is not why I got it. I got it for me. I am not defined by my job. I am my own person when I am not at work and I am not at work ALL the time. Those house I am off, I can express myself in whatever way I choose to and wear whatever I choose to. I am not going to avoid getting something done because of my job. As long as I can hide it during working hours, then that is all that matters to me.

My previous post was on whether or not I find tattoos attractive on the opposite sex. Now for the topic of judging:

I have no tattoos and don't want any myself, but it's not my place to tell others what they should or shouldn't do. I can complain and yell "tramp stamp" or "skank flank" all day (I'd have to REAAALLLY have nothing else to do), but in the end, it's none of my business. The other person does not even have any obligation to provide me with a good reason for their mark. If I think someone is trashy or unattractive for the picture on their chest, that's my problem, not theirs.

My previous post was on whether or not I find tattoos attractive on the opposite sex. Now for the topic of judging:

I have no tattoos and don't want any myself, but it's not my place to tell others what they should or shouldn't do. I can complain and yell "tramp stamp" or "skank flank" all day (I'd have to REAAALLLY have nothing else to do), but in the end, it's none of my business. The other person does not even have any obligation to provide me with a good reason for their mark. If I think someone is trashy or unattractive for the picture on their chest, that's my problem, not theirs.

Well it sorta would be their problem and not yours if they are actually trashy and can't get dates for themselves because of that.

I'm ok with modest and discreet, or one or two nicely done ones. I wouldn't say I find them attractive, but one or two are so common nowadays that I think nothing of it.

It's when it gets to be a lot, or huge, or taking up an entire body part that I start to find it unappealing. Whether it is nicely done or not. This is not a judgmental thing so much as an emotional reaction. The reaction if I like the person or find them attractive otherwise is a little bit of sadness, honestly.

There are certain tattoos though that I just don't like on anyone. It's personal preference. Anything that could be associated with gangs, for one.

Archived