Do you like tattoos on the opposite sex?

turnthepage

Just a curious question. I am thinking of getting one and don't particularly care what a guy would think, but I am curious.

What do females think? Lately I really like edgier guys with a tattoo or three.

I am thinking of getting a quote somewhere.. or if I am feeling super ambitious maybe a food web or a cladogram.. but that's the science geek in me.

Would it ever put you off someone?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind if a guy has a tattoo, as I have them myself.

My bf doesn't really prefer them, but I've got them way before I met him so it's not something he can do, but accept them.

I know some people who loves them, and others not so much - to each their own.

Just a curious question. I am thinking of getting one and don't particularly care what a guy would think, but I am curious.

What do females think? Lately I really like edgier guys with a tattoo or three.

I am thinking of getting a quote somewhere.. or if I am feeling super ambitious maybe a food web or a cladogram.. but that's the science geek in me.

Would it ever put you off someone?

Yes, it would put me off. Tats are ugly, cheap and tacky. If you are thinking of getting one make sure you have enough saved it to have it removed.

to each their own, do what you want..

me personally i hate them, completely hate them and i am so glad my bf has none cause it would have turned me off, it might even be a deal breaker to me, as much as i love him....

Interesting! What is it about them that you hate so much? Obviously no offence will be taken. I am just curious why some people do really hate them! Is it something to do with connotations or is it just the physical appearance of them?

Interesting! What is it about them that you hate so much? Obviously no offence will be taken. I am just curious why some people do really hate them! Is it something to do with connotations or is it just the physical appearance of them?

I hate them because the art work is terrible. I mean you would not see any of them hanging up in an art gallery!

Yes, it would put me off. Tats are ugly, cheap and tacky. If you are thinking of getting one make sure you have enough saved it to have it removed.

I would prefer to believe I am 100% sure rather than planning a possible removal and it is not like I am having it on my face or anything. Thanks for the opinions though

I hate them because the art work is terrible. I mean you would not see any of them hanging up in an art gallery!

I guess art is interpreted in different ways though to different people.. much like tattoos.

I definitely would not have tribal/lions/tacky art, I kind of understand your point of view there. Bad colouring can also look terrible.

I would prefer to believe I am 100% sure rather than planning a possible removal and it is not like I am having it on my face or anything. Thanks for the opinions though

I have seen plenty of clothes that I like and look great on a storeroom dummy, but when I try them on...well they dont suit me. That is the trouble with a tat, how you going to know until it is too late!

I love tats on a guy.

They're like a must for me.

On girls, however, I find the majority of them trashy.

It's a double standard, yes, but unless a girl has a rocking body I think the tat just looks stupid on her flab.

Also, the majority of girls (I've noticed) who have tats are either punks or young moms who always get their kid's name behind their ears or on the neck.

The rest of the girls have tramp stamps.

I think girl's should only get a tattoo if she has a nice body... Idon't know why I juust find it so awakrd when a girl is like do you like my tat and th first thing I notice is her get or stretch marks... not the tat.

i hate them because i really don't like looking at them, i just find them awful, and it is on a body, forever, i hate the look of them, no other reason behind it, just really hate them, same goes for piercings, i don't like either and on both men and women, i never came accross one i did find beautiful, i have some friends who have a tattoo and they get all excited when showing them, i just cannot find it beautiful, but it would not affect my friendship with them, but it would affect my attraction on a guy, am never drawn to someone with tats...

I don't particularly care for them. Many of them are badly done, and they can look pretty bad as time wears on and they blur.

I dated a guy once i was crazy about and he had this mid-life crisis. He worked in Calif. where it's all a fad to have tats and he got one that was supposed to be barbed wire on his bicep and a large cow skull motorcycle gang type tattoo on his back. I thought it looked silly and one of them was really badly done and uneven. He was just a middle aged guy trying to look like a 'bad dude' when really he had a nice body and it was totally distracting to look at when it's bad art. Like graffitti ruining a nice building. They can be very distracting, when every time you look at someone you see an ugly tattoo that might have seemed like a good idea at the time but ends up looking silly or stupid on the person years later.

I think the body is quite beautiful as is, and defacing it with what is essentially a bunch of graffitti that draws attention away from the body itself just absolutely doesn't appeal to me at all and i frequently am sad when i see a nice looking person ruining their looks with a bad tattoo.

I know people that have them tend to get really defensive if you say anything negative about tattoos, but to be 100% honest stereotypes exist for a reason. I think tattoos are often associated with lower intelligence, lower class, and/or promiscuous people. Now of course, there are exceptions to everything in life, but I only say this because whether we like it or not people do tend to be judgmental. If someone sees you have one they may have a whole mental image of you based on this one thing, and it may be completely inaccurate but that's what you are making yourself subject to when you get one.

As for my personal opinion...I recently went on a date with a girl that has a few, and they aren't visible, plus she already had them before I knew her so it was kind of like "take it or leave it", but if I met someone who didn't have any and then got some I think I would be very turned off by it. As a general rule of thumb I find them really unattractive.

Wow. Definitely no offence taken of course but I find it shocking that so many are against them! I see them as a symbol of one's self. An artistic representation of who you are. As Capsko said there are exceptions to every rule and I could never see myself with a guy with football tattoos/chinese writing that means nothing to them.

However, as an intelligent woman graduating with a Biology degree soon I would love something on my body that represents this love of mine. Nowhere too flashy. Life is short and I love representing myself with my clothes. I know tattoos are permanent but I think they represent independence, knowing one's mind and they are sexy on men. Obviously this opinion is not the majority here!

Wow. Definitely no offence taken of course but I find it shocking that so many are against them! I see them as a symbol of one's self. An artistic representation of who you are. As Capsko said there are exceptions to every rule and I could never see myself with a guy with football tattoos/chinese writing that means nothing to them.

However, as an intelligent woman graduating with a Biology degree soon I would love something on my body that represents this love of mine. Nowhere too flashy. Life is short and I love representing myself with my clothes. I know tattoos are permanent but I think they represent independence, knowing one's mind and they are sexy on men. Obviously this opinion is not the majority here!

I got one on me, a loveheart with an exes name on it who promptly ended the relationship! So I am dead set against them. Out of interest, what design are you going to get that will respresent who you are?

For me they always were a turn-off. I'm surprised that the OP would assume that someone who had a tattoo was "edgier" than another person -there could be many reasons he has a tattoo -perhaps he was out with friends one day and just did it on a whim. Just like I wouldn't generalize about someone's personality because they had or didn't have pierced ears.

I don't like tattoos. I don't have any myself so I can say that I don't like them on guys. They always look badly when you get older. I take care of tons of old people and yes, many of the men have tattoos. You can't even tell what they are of. Just blobs. Looks awful..

Tattoos are a turn off for me. I don't believe skin should be a canvas.

Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: Within moderation I can accept them - e.g. Avril Lavigne's current assortment of ink is currently at that point where if she has any more done she's going to lose her appeal for me (much to her distress). But massive tattoos covering large parts of a woman's body looks horrible. Of course, it's her skin to do with as she wishes yadda yadda, I just don't personally care for it and I don't find it attractive.

I think tattoos that have meaning are great. You don't get one just to get one. You get a tattoo to commemorate something or to make a statement about something you want to make permanent in your life. I have yet to find a symbol that means that much to me, but when I do I will absolutely get it etched on my skin somewhere relatively discreet.

The men I've gotten into relationships with have all had at least one meaningful tattoo each and they've all either owned or at least known how to ride motorcycles. I like a guy with lots of facets to him. Maybe the men for you like women with lots of facets too.

I love them. On me and on guys. My boyfriend doesn't have anything right now though. I have only one right now and I take care of it well enough that it still looks brand new. Always sun block. I'm more determined to stay in shape because of them as well, but if they still look a tiny bit ehh, it's important to have a sense of humor. Which I do, I take life on with an easy outlook. I see them as stories, even if they may be a bit ehh, they're still stories. Much like an artwork that had been handled poorly. I also think anyone who is so quick to judge about a person's character is way too judgmental. I know I have intellect, well above average, came from upper middle class but also know the lower, working class, has higher education, and my personality have been complimented by people often. Saying that I'm open minded and warm-hearted, understanding and welcoming that they feel right around me. I've heard that pretty frequently. So I'm sure there's not anything wrong with me. It's just a matter of different taste, and that's alright. I do plan to get a few more, I have a note of ideas that I've been considering all those years, and some would still have to wait till I'm done being pregnant. And they're all very easily hidden.

and to me there is nothing worse or gross than to see an elderly lady, and then see her faded tattoo, that is just awful!! i think many people come to regret them once they are getting older...it looks so trashy if you are old(er) and have tattoos

They always look badly when you get older. I take care of tons of old people and yes, many of the men have tattoos. You can't even tell what they are of. Just blobs. Looks awful..

There's no delicate way of saying this, so I'm just going to come out with it

Not that I disagree with the general consensus about tattoos here, but what difference does it make what they look like when you get older when, at some point, we all go to look like crap anyway? You might as well ask what the point of staying healthy is when death is eventually going to outwit you.

However, as an intelligent woman graduating with a Biology degree soon I would love something on my body that represents this love of mine. Nowhere too flashy. Life is short and I love representing myself with my clothes. I know tattoos are permanent but I think they represent independence, knowing one's mind and they are sexy on men.

Girl get that tattoo and rock it!

No seriously, don't let other peoples possibl negative associations and stereotypes stop you, who the heck cares what some random guy thinks if you have one?

I have 4 small tattoos that are meaningfull to me and i have never had an issue with men. They are easy to hide and i don't flaunt the either. Well thought tattoos show to me that the person is thoughtfull, intelligent, sensitive, and deep.

they people i know who have well-thought out tattoos are really smart people. I am not reckless, stupid or low-class. i am university educated, well-read and prefer to stay in watch a ovie and fall asleep by 10pm, then go out and party be reckless.....

if some guy sees your tattoo and decides not to get to know you because you have a tattoo, then that tells you all you need to know about him, i think people who judge others on stuff like this are essentially shallow...its like saying, i don't like that you choose to dye your hair, or wear glasses instead of contacts, so i'm not going to date you

Archived