Rots, Pitts, and other scary dogs, and girls who love them.

GoneCrazy

Okay so here is something that I have noticed when it comes to Pitbulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, dogs that society also myself consider deadly and scary. Now i'm sure lot of you have theses breed of dogs and i'm not here to talk negatively, that is just my opinion, nothing else. I've noticed that when it comes to women especially the ones in the early 20's have these breeds of dogs. One girl that I have been having a crush on told me she has to 2 pits and a rot, turned me right off.

But that has be wondering...What is it about these breeds that is so fascinating ? why do so many young people get them ? Is it cause they are scary and intimating ? The make safe guard dogs ? What is it ? Thanks.

*Shrugs* I always had larger dogs. I was very active in my 20's, and it wasn't uncommon for me to take my husky everywhere with me, including hiking, walking trails, fishing, etc.

When I got a bit older, I still had larger dogs with my kids. I did the temperament testing as puppies of course - but a German Shepherd can deal much more easily with a toddler learning "gently, gently" than, for example, a Pom!!! And we did agility training for fun.

All the ones I've had were friendly, never guard trained, and were socialized well - but I've always had an affinity for dogs that I could take pretty much anywhere and keep up and still be my teddy bears

I feel like this is a big generalization. I haven't found this to be true at all, most of the people I know (Or have known who had these breeds of dogs) were grown men. I've also known several couples who owned them. For some it could be the 'rough' factor. These dogs are thought to be 'mean, tough, scary' breeds of dogs (which I have found to be SO not true in all cases)- I've seen mostly men embrace this mentality and wanting to own these dogs because it makes them appear 'tough'- but in general I have found that not accurate. I have known many pits and rotties, and 'aggressive breeds' to be amazing animals. I know its a whole debate that grows heated (Much like politics and religion, something I definitely do not wish to argue) but I will say that 9 times out of 10 its the PEOPLE who raise these animals to be vicious. I have seen vicious versions of these animals, but because the people made them that way- and I've also seen vicious versions of other breeds that you wouldn't think of as a 'scary breed'. Much like how a child is brought up, the owner has a lot to do with how an animal turns out. My childhood dog growing up (A blue tick coon hound) was vicious and scary as anything when we got her! She was abused as a puppy and when we got her she was aggressive...but after a few years in a loving home she was a different animal.

Fear and intolerance for animals of a certain breed really frustrates me and I don't understand it to be honest, that's my two cents....

Must be where you live.

I have never noticed such a majority preference in my life.

Me neither.

I've generally stereotypically seen these types of dogs as having male owners. Most younger people I know with dogs have dogs that are active and they can get out and run around the park with etc.

German Shepards are great dogs. My family used to have one as a protective dog for the family back in South Africa and was a great family dog.

I am not a big fan of pitbulls..they scare me. German Shepards are wonderful dogs and Rottweilers too, as long as they are not trained to be aggressive.

My dog and I got chased out of the park and down the street by a Miniature Pinscher (the size of a chihuahua). This dog was extremely aggressive snapping at the hind quarters of my 90 pound dog. I was terrified that dog would take a chunk out of my dog's leg. The owner kept calling out to her dog but didn't really do anything, she didn't run over and grab the dog away. So there can be owners of small aggressive dogs who don't do what they need to do to keep their dog in check. The bite of a little dog can do plenty of damage and can result in hefty veterinarian bills.

It's far scarier to me that you stopped seeing as girl because of the breeds of her dogs.

Responsible owners own the breeds they do because they like them, for a variety of reasons. Many families own APBTs and other "scary" breeds because they are tolerant, loyal and good with children. Who would breed a security or police dog that was genetically unhinged and likely to "snap" at any second?

Very active people own "scary" breeds because they're more athletic, intelligent and demanding-both mentally and physically.

They are also favoured by assistance dog trainers due to their stable temperaments.

Unresponsible owners have their reasons for owning "scary" breeds, and none of them good ones.

I own giant breeds because my family have been Dane breeders for over 30 years. I like not having to bend down to pat my dogs, I like a crowded bed, I like the particular brand of love you get from them.

I recommend you contact someone to get help about your unreasonable fear of certain breeds. You're missing out on awesome dogs and their equally awesome owners just because of a silly fear, and your life is that much poorer for it.

Maybe you are a bit quick to judge.

I have had a german shepherd and they can be the most trustworthy and loyal dogs. There are some individuals that need to have a "job". We just periodically taught her something new and she also felt like she had a "job" to keep an eye on the teenagers of the house. Just to hang out with them and keep track of where we were at. There are also great shepherds who are Leader Dogs, etc., and many who are bona fide heros. A friend of mine had one - she was alone with her children often. The dog was a retired police dog and her husband was often working (he was a cop), and having that dog deterred people from bothering them. The dog was sweet and wouldn't attack anyone - he had been a drug sniffing dog and was very even tempered - but people who were automatically afraid of big dogs would stay far away.

Pit bulls were considered a trustworthy companion to children until starting in the early 80s when people started breeding them to death and fighting them. Prior to that - you see all sorts of photos from the late 1800s into the 1940s of a family and a pitbull. That dog would have the energy to tag along with the kids all day and be a big slobbery lovable lug of a dog to them, but wouldn't let anyone - an animal in the woods, a strange dog, harm "their" kids.

So maybe before you automatically make a snap judgment that you won't date a woman because you hate their dog - get to know them. Maybe they are an animal person with an awesome dog. And gals involved in animal rescue might have adopted a dog who is sweet but people misunderstand because no one wanted to adopt them because of their breed..

I think if OP doesn't want to date someone who has dogs of a certain breed that he doesn't like, then he's right to do so, if he's looking for a possible LTR, then he'd have to live with that dog. If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to. As long as he is polite about it and understands that it may limit the dating pool a bit, I think it's fine.

I own rabbits and plan on owning more in the future and frankly, I wouldn't date someone who was really into having pitts and rots either. I think they can be fine dogs but for me, I prefer large breeds which are known for the "soft mouth", like goldens. I wouldn't want to be with someone who wanted pits/rots because of the inherent risk to my rabbits. Nothing against the actual dog, because a lot of dogs may try to "roughhouse" with them, but in the event of that happening, my rabbits are less likely to get hurt with a golden than with a pitt, which could accidentally (or intentionally) crush the rabbit with its mouth.

My neighbor has pits and what do you know? He went to jail for two months.

I know, shouldn't stereotype people by dog breeds. It was a combination of that and his pants on the ground. He and all his friends are criminals and they ALL have pits. All his visitors bring their pits and they have pit parties.

I'm sending you a video in PM's of one of the friend's dog that visited our deck recently. You will enjoy it! My son came inside and told me there was a PINK pit bull in our yard. His ears, lips, eyes and all were really pink. What a horrible thing to find in your yard. I'd rather have seen a ghost.

I have to give the kid credit though. Since he got out of jail he has kept his own dog up. He doesn't want me calling the police again because he will be on probation for a very long time.

My bf has a pitbull who is the most sweetest and dorky dog. I can say he gets along w/ just about anyone. He doesn't have his ears cut and loves to cuddle. IMO it's how the dog is trained. If the dog isn't trained well enough then your looking at a bit more of aggressive dog. If the person is willing to take the time to train the dog, so that the dog knows who's in control. To me it's kinda sad that they get stereotyped for being these scary dogs. But, again it falls on to how they are trained by their owners. Which goes for any type of dog. Anyone agree or not but, that's my opinion.

I have friends w/ german shepherds and rottweilers and they have been really gental and friendly dogs.

I am not a big fan of pitbulls..they scare me. German Shepards are wonderful dogs and Rottweilers too, as long as they are not trained to be aggressive.

My dog and I got chased out of the park and down the street by a Miniature Pinscher (the size of a chihuahua). This dog was extremely aggressive snapping at the hind quarters of my 90 pound dog. I was terrified that dog would take a chunk out of my dog's leg. The owner kept calling out to her dog but didn't really do anything, she didn't run over and grab the dog away. So there can be owners of small aggressive dogs who don't do what they need to do to keep their dog in check. The bite of a little dog can do plenty of damage and can result in hefty veterinarian bills.

I swear people need a license to own a dog, also spca doesn't do eff all

It's far scarier to me that you stopped seeing as girl because of the breeds of her dogs.

Responsible owners own the breeds they do because they like them, for a variety of reasons. Many families own APBTs and other "scary" breeds because they are tolerant, loyal and good with children. Who would breed a security or police dog that was genetically unhinged and likely to "snap" at any second?

Very active people own "scary" breeds because they're more athletic, intelligent and demanding-both mentally and physically.

They are also favoured by assistance dog trainers due to their stable temperaments.

Unresponsible owners have their reasons for owning "scary" breeds, and none of them good ones.

I own giant breeds because my family have been Dane breeders for over 30 years. I like not having to bend down to pat my dogs, I like a crowded bed, I like the particular brand of love you get from them.

I recommend you contact someone to get help about your unreasonable fear of certain breeds. You're missing out on awesome dogs and their equally awesome owners just because of a silly fear, and your life is that much poorer for it.

Well i'm not seeing her nor have we even chilled just I see her time to time at her and we make small talk. And you're I do have a fear of dog, especially since my whole life i've had nothing but bad experiences. Also i'm not a fan of dogs or animals in general. My fear is if we were dating or living together I would come home and the dogs would attack me or just randomly sitting there they would jump and attack me, also i'm not big on the constant barking.

I think if OP doesn't want to date someone who has dogs of a certain breed that he doesn't like, then he's right to do so, if he's looking for a possible LTR, then he'd have to live with that dog. If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to. As long as he is polite about it and understands that it may limit the dating pool a bit, I think it's fine.

I own rabbits and plan on owning more in the future and frankly, I wouldn't date someone who was really into having pitts and rots either. I think they can be fine dogs but for me, I prefer large breeds which are known for the "soft mouth", like goldens. I wouldn't want to be with someone who wanted pits/rots because of the inherent risk to my rabbits. Nothing against the actual dog, because a lot of dogs may try to "roughhouse" with them, but in the event of that happening, my rabbits are less likely to get hurt with a golden than with a pitt, which could accidentally (or intentionally) crush the rabbit with its mouth.

You'r right on, I really don't wanna date someone who has a dog even worse 3 of them. I just see to many bad things happening, maybe they are great sweet dogs but with my experience I just wanna stay away from it. And if I wqas to ever get a dog it would be a golden retriever, but I would most likely go for a fish, better yet not have any pets.

My neighbor has pits and what do you know? He went to jail for two months.

I know, shouldn't stereotype people by dog breeds. It was a combination of that and his pants on the ground. He and all his friends are criminals and they ALL have pits. All his visitors bring their pits and they have pit parties.

I'm sending you a video in PM's of one of the friend's dog that visited our deck recently. You will enjoy it! My son came inside and told me there was a PINK pit bull in our yard. His ears, lips, eyes and all were really pink. What a horrible thing to find in your yard. I'd rather have seen a ghost.

I have to give the kid credit though. Since he got out of jail he has kept his own dog up. He doesn't want me calling the police again because he will be on probation for a very long time.

I would think they won't be allowed to have dogs...but this day and age go figure.

I have to agree. These breeds of dogs can be really loving, caring, etc. just as any other breed can be. These 3 types of breeds get a bad wrap because of the people who chose to make them aggressive and for fighting. The people that make their dogs fight or even aggressive shouldn't be the ones to own them. It's not the dogs fault that it was put into the 'scarey' dog situation. If you have people who take the time in training so the dog knows that the own is in charge and won't become aggressive. Big dogs regardless of the breed are amazing pets and definitely loyal to their owners.

It's not just these 3 breeds of dogs that can pontientally be aggressive....It can be any type of breed regardless of being big or small. Like I mentioned above it goes on how much time the owner works with the dog and more so on training.

Have you met the dogs of this girl that you've been seeing or speaking with yet? Are they well behaved / trained? But, why don't you give it a chance and see where it goes? It wouldn't hurt!

It sounds like your problem isn't that you have a fear of certain dog breeds, you just don't like animals at all haha. Honestly, i think it's going to be hard work to find someone who equally dislikes them. Its really a shame too, its been proven that people with pets live longer and lead more fulfilling lives

What, looking for someone who is allergic? I didn't suggest he say he's allergic - miscommunication maybe?

Maybe, lol.

I doubt you will have much problem finding a girl without a pit bull to date, GoneCrazy. Majority of women and girls I know do not own them. Actually, come to think of it I've never known anyone that does have one. Only about 60% of people own dogs at all, last I looked. So yeah, you should be able to find someone without pits or rottweilers.

I'd be careful before you judge. I've only owned little fluffy Malteses all my life (ha) but..

one of my good friends, J, is a girl, and she has both a pitbull and rotty. She was not attracted to their danger or safeguarding - actually the opposite. They were both abused dogs, about to be put to sleep, and she rescued them and now cares for them. They are two of the most gentle, sweetest, and easily-scared (due to abuse?) dogs I've ever met in my entire life. They are so timid that if a stranger walks in the room, they run the opposite way.

she was drawn to those two dogs because she wanted to give them a better life and show them love. And they definitely return it, they adore her.

I don't understand the bad reputation these dogs have - when they are raised to be aggressive and kill, they will - but plenty of them (like J's dogs) are little sweetie pies. Sure, you never hear of a Maltese mauling anyone, but if my Maltese weighed more than 10 pounds you can bet your butt she'd have probably ripped someone apart by now! That dog is mean.

Who said I need to see a counsellor I am, but it's not for dogs, but other reason anxiety and fear, guess that can be linked. As for the girl I doubt anything will ever happen, i'm just gonna give up on it. Thanks for the posts. Please do feel free to keep posting and commenting.

What, looking for someone who is allergic? I didn't suggest he say he's allergic - miscommunication maybe?

I understand where you're coming from and you don't mean to be rude or mean lol. But I have a hard time as it is finding someone, and finding someone, plus that they are allergic or don't like dogs would be kinda like winning the lotto, very impossible, I don't have a problem with dogs, it's just animals and dogs aren't my thing and growing up i've had a number of bad experiences.

Maybe, lol.

I doubt you will have much problem finding a girl without a pit bull to date, GoneCrazy. Majority of women and girls I know do not own them. Actually, come to think of it I've never known anyone that does have one. Only about 60% of people own dogs at all, last I looked. So yeah, you should be able to find someone without pits or rottweilers.

Where I live it seems it's always the big dogs (that we've listed) very few girls over here have those small dogs, I guess it's cause I live in an outdoors, camping, hunting down, so people get the bigger dogs, the small dogs seem to be a city thing.

I'd be careful before you judge. I've only owned little fluffy Malteses all my life (ha) but..

one of my good friends, J, is a girl, and she has both a pitbull and rotty. She was not attracted to their danger or safeguarding - actually the opposite. They were both abused dogs, about to be put to sleep, and she rescued them and now cares for them. They are two of the most gentle, sweetest, and easily-scared (due to abuse?) dogs I've ever met in my entire life. They are so timid that if a stranger walks in the room, they run the opposite way.

she was drawn to those two dogs because she wanted to give them a better life and show them love. And they definitely return it, they adore her.

I don't understand the bad reputation these dogs have - when they are raised to be aggressive and kill, they will - but plenty of them (like J's dogs) are little sweetie pies. Sure, you never hear of a Maltese mauling anyone, but if my Maltese weighed more than 10 pounds you can bet your butt she'd have probably ripped someone apart by now! That dog is mean.

When someone tells me they own a dog specially the ones that we've listed and talked about, and that they are rescued cause they were abused, that freaks me out. 1. cause the dog is scared and confused, 2. it probably doesn't rust anyone but the owners, 3. mix my fear with it's fear and it's not gonna be good. I'm sure you're friend has done a great job taking care and raising those dogs, but from i've seen it hasn't worked out to well.

OP,

I freaking LOVE animals (have a whole bunch and always will) and I see nothing wrong with you not wanting to be around them, like cats/dogs/etc. They aren't for everyone.

There are many things out there that seem to be so universally appealing to everyone that some people forget that not everyone likes them. Some of these include common pets (dogs/cats), babies, children, kissing, chocolate, etc. However, I'm of the belief that you can not like certain things and still be happy in a relationship, once you find someone who is the same.

I think it would be a tall order to COMPLETELY eliminate people with dogs or cats. People usually like one or the other, unless they are allergic. Cats, on the other hand, are fairly independent and will usually stay out of your way providing that you feed/water them and change their litterbox. I can think of many women who do like cats but aren't into dogs, and I think this sort of woman would be more compatible with you.

I agree with you also I think culture wise it depends. I knew growing up before I moved to Canada we lived on a farm and we had dogs, and cats and they all stayed out side, so when we moved to canada it was totally different and of course more expecting. I won't mind someone who has a dog and not dogS. Like I said goldens are okay with me they are the one type of dog that I would like, and you would be right I would prefer someone who likes/owns cats.

I don't find your opinion judgmental, you have every right to date someone that doesn't own a dog or particular breed. I have never been a cat fan, I choke up and feel like I've got hair in my mouth when I'm around cats so under no circumstances would I date someone with cats. There are also certain breeds which I don't like and would not date a man with that dog. However, my fiance has a doberman, she is quite big (up to my hips almost and I'm 5"1) and I absolutely adore her, she is the sweetest most loving and cuddly dog I've ever encountered. Of course you would never ever think she is so sweet if you see her on the street, but she is the biggest cuddly bear.

I agree with you also I think culture wise it depends. I knew growing up before I moved to Canada we lived on a farm and we had dogs, and cats and they all stayed out side, so when we moved to canada it was totally different and of course more expecting. I won't mind someone who has a dog and not dogS. Like I said goldens are okay with me they are the one type of dog that I would like, and you would be right I would prefer someone who likes/owns cats.

I have 2 goldens at home. Sweetest dogs ever, love 'em. Perfect for families too. I'm sure if you told a girl "I'm really okay with only goldens" and she loved them, you wouldn't have an issue. Really, they are one of the most universally appealing dogs. I love mine to death. I could hug them all day.

Archived