The more time passes, the more worthless I feel...

HellFrost666

I guess I got fired today. It doesn't really feel like it though since I only worked one night. It's not a huge shock.

I got this job a week ago. I worked on Saturday, then I was supposed to work Sunday. I got called literally while I was walking out the door and told not to come in because they over scheduled that day. But my boss told me he wanted me to work Tuesday and he would call me and let me know what time.

He never called me on Tuesday. I tried to call him once on Wednesday and once again on Thursday. Both times he dodged my call.

Today I went to pick up my huge whopping paycheck and was told I've been dismissed. He told me I am not cut out for it.

Ok... the whole time I was there Saturday he kept telling me what a good job I was doing. He is Greek, so not only was he complimenting me, he was complimenting me in a loud, booming, dramatic way, telling all the other employees what a good decision it was to hire me and everything else.

So I am not cut out to chop vegetable and heat up soup in the microwave and make salads? I did everything I was asked to do, and I did it fast. And I really didn't get much training, so I was able to jump right in and work with little supervision.

Idk... I thought I did fine.

It's not like this is my dream job or anything. But since I've been unemployed this kind of thing has been happening to me a lot. I get hired and then let go a few days later. It's annoying and it's stressful.

I really do feel worthless right now. This was about the easiest job... Anyone with common sense could have done it. I just wish I could get hired somewhere and last more then a day or two.

I guess I am just venting... but any comments are appreciated.

Sorry to hear that.

That has happened to me, and to people I know. I know one guy who got promoted, and then two months later was fired suddenly. I have been fired without any explanation before.

Actually last time I got fired the same sort of thing happened as in your story. I worked two days, then the guy said he didn't have time to train me.

There is reason to feel useless unless it was your fault, but there is no serious evidence for that.

Also, some bosses are just crazy and say very contradictory things.

I have to say some people ( like your ex boss ) are SO full of it and lack any spine whatsoever. I am sorry for your run of what seems to be endless bad luck lately. I guess take a look at it this way....Spring is here and then Summer and with that comes so many opportunities and baring that there is always outside in the sun.

Sorry to hear that.

That has happened to me, and to people I know. I know one guy who got promoted, and then two months later was fired suddenly. I have been fired without any explanation before.

Actually last time I got fired the same sort of thing happened as in your story. I worked two days, then the guy said he didn't have time to train me.

There is reason to feel useless unless it was your fault, but there is no serious evidence for that.

Also, some bosses are just crazy and say very contradictory things.

I lost my job in November and since then I've only been able to find temporary work here and there...

A month ago I interviewed for a job that I thought was really going to be the one. The interview went well. They told me they would call me in two weeks. Then two weeks go by and I see the job in the paper. So, despite how bad it seems, I emailed the head of human resources to let them know I was still interested. (I used to work at this place a long time ago, and I left on good terms, so I kind of know him.) He told me they wanted to get a certain number of people to apply before making their decision, but I was still one of their lead people.

Then I got word from him that after being so long without anyone in that position, they realized they don't really need anyone to do that job, so they've eliminated the position and decided not to hire anyone.

I know this kind of stuff happens all the time. But it's frustrating when it just keeps happening to me again and again.

The job I lost in November was for a really dumb reason. My ex boss got drunk at the bar where my girlfriend works and told her they fired me because I didn't attend enough company social events basically.

Idk... after so long of being unemployed and getting nowhere I am really getting tired of this.

I have to say some people ( like your ex boss ) are SO full of it and lack any spine whatsoever. I am sorry for your run of what seems to be endless bad luck lately. I guess take a look at it this way....Spring is here and then Summer and with that comes so many opportunities and baring that there is always outside in the sun.

I am starting to wonder if it's ever going to end... I wonder how soon I can put up with all this crap before I crack again to be honest.

HF, sorry about that.

I hope things pick up for you.

I'm not sure what to say that could help you feel better but I think you rock.

I hope that good break you need is just around the corner. Life can change real fast; that's what I try to remember when things seem all upside down and it helps me.

Thanks to the three of you for your encouragement... It means a lot.

I know you are feeling down in the dumps H, and I don't want to sound trite, but I know things will get better.

It has to be frustrating. It's hard when you want something so badly, but it seems out of your grasp.

Keep trudging along, and just know that although you aren't getting paid, your work in the animal shelter is truly important and probably more fulfilling than any job you'll find.

I know you are feeling down in the dumps H, and I don't want to sound trite, but I know things will get better.

It has to be frustrating. It's hard when you want something so badly, but it seems out of your grasp.

Keep trudging along, and just know that although you aren't getting paid, your work in the animal shelter is truly important and probably more fulfilling than any job you'll find.

You are probably right...

Sorry to hear that... That's really sucky of him. I mean, if you weren't doing a good job (which, I doubt because I've worked in the food service industry since I was 14 and the people they hire for that position could be missing a few chromosomes and still accomplish it), he could have just TOLD you instead of basically getting your hopes up and crushing them down again.

The same thing actually happened to me in my last job. I couldn't find a regular cooking position, so I took the prep cook. No training, didn't show me where stuff was, just threw me into a busy Friday. I did fine. The next day I came in and my name was crossed off of the schedule. Nice. Thanks for the heads-up. I was told I was the worst employee he'd ever hired.

Hopefully you'll be able to find something better soon. I know it's hard, but try not to feel worthless. You're doing wonderful things volunteering at the shelter.

I know right... I hope no one reading this thinks I think people who do the job are stupid or anything... but being a prep cook is definitely not rocket science. Basically my job consisted of chopping vegetables (and cheese), making salads and microwaving stuff.

And like you I was thrown right into it on a busy night with no training. (It was a Saturday not a Friday, still though.)

No customer had to wait for their salad or for their hot soup. And the cooks never ran out of chopped vegetables or cheese. I don't know what the problem was.

It was kind of a relief to read this though. Idk... it sucks it happened to you. But it's comforting in some weird way that someone else experienced it.

And like I said before, it's not like this was my dream job, but it was a paycheck. It's upsetting that I have a college degree and can't even handle being a freaking prep cook.

I've been let go from office jobs... Over the last few months I've had two factories let me go after a few days (they were through temp agencies, but I was told these were long term jobs) and now a restaurant lets me go. I feel like I am running out of options.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. It is comforting in some way knowing you're not the only one who can't hold down the world's simplest job. Just know it's NOT you, it's the boss/company. Regardless of what the job is, it's a really crappy feeling getting let go. While it makes you wonder what you're doing wrong, it's probably nothing. With the way the market is right now, employers can afford to be as picky as they want. If you're not social enough or don't dress the right way or don't put the tomato at a 90* angle from the cucumber... just let you go because there are 50 other people who will fit their little cookie cutter. It's discouraging but eventually someone's gotta cut you a break.

I feel for you, the time I was unemployed for a year I honestly lost all sense of self worth. I have't been working for 6 weeks now and it is a pretty crap feeling, though I might go to my mum's shop next week.

Are you just looking for anything? Are you a musician..I somehow remember you play the bass?

ugh, i am so sorry. that really sucks. that guy is spineless that he wouldn't even tell you he's firing you! sheeeesh!

have you thought about going back to school? not necessarily college, but a technical program where you can learn something that is in demand? like a radiological technician? working in a hospital is good if you care about human health, and because there are hospitals everywhere, you can get a job. something else where you can get training fairly quickly (like a year or two) and get right to work? you are too smart to be heating up soup. you're a smart guy and working somewhere that stimulates you would be good in the long run.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. It is comforting in some way knowing you're not the only one who can't hold down the world's simplest job. Just know it's NOT you, it's the boss/company. Regardless of what the job is, it's a really crappy feeling getting let go. While it makes you wonder what you're doing wrong, it's probably nothing. With the way the market is right now, employers can afford to be as picky as they want. If you're not social enough or don't dress the right way or don't put the tomato at a 90* angle from the cucumber... just let you go because there are 50 other people who will fit their little cookie cutter. It's discouraging but eventually someone's gotta cut you a break.

This was a good post. Employers are getting ridiculously picky with the market being like this. And the reason I was let go in November from my one job was exactly because I wasn't social enough and didn't dress the way they wanted me too. (I followed the dress code, but I guess that wasn't enough.)

Lol... there's this guy that works at the shelter who's not the best employee and he really hates his job. He's made comments to me about how much it sucks working there. And I've heard other people there talk about what a slacker he is, etc. I am secretly hoping they fire him because I might have a chance at getting his job.

At the same time it kind of pisses me off when he starts talking about how much he hates his job there. There's about 5 of us volunteers who would love to trade places with him any day.

^^^ and this is what i like about academia. i'm a science grad student, i have to say that there are a lot of 'odd' personalities (you can imagine some wacky scientists!) but as long as you are producing good work and not acting like a total ass, you're fine. there is still politics, of course, but nothing like what you are going through.

i know i would get fired if i tried to work at a restaurant or somewhere else. i would mess up. i'd cut the cucumber wrong and tell the customers to deal with it, lol.

I feel for you, the time I was unemployed for a year I honestly lost all sense of self worth. I have't been working for 6 weeks now and it is a pretty crap feeling, though I might go to my mum's shop next week.

Are you just looking for anything? Are you a musician..I somehow remember you play the bass?

When I first lost my job I was a little more picky.

Then I was denied unemployment... And as more time passed I just started getting less and less picky. At this point I would take pretty much anything...

And yes I am a musician. I do play bass. But there is no money in that around here.

ugh, i am so sorry. that really sucks. that guy is spineless that he wouldn't even tell you he's firing you! sheeeesh!

have you thought about going back to school? not necessarily college, but a technical program where you can learn something that is in demand? like a radiological technician? working in a hospital is good if you care about human health, and because there are hospitals everywhere, you can get a job. something else where you can get training fairly quickly (like a year or two) and get right to work? you are too smart to be heating up soup. you're a smart guy and working somewhere that stimulates you would be good in the long run.

Actually something like that is in the works. I am planning on going back to school this fall if all goes right. But in the mean time I still have to pay my bills.

Arrogant as it sounds, I know I am too smart to be heating up soup. But I am desperate...

Actually something like that is in the works. I am planning on going back to school this fall if all goes right. But in the mean time I still have to pay my bills.

Arrogant as it sounds, I know I am too smart to be heating up soup. But I am desperate...

excellent. yes, i hope that the school gives you training to find a more stable job. not arrogant at all, you're clearly very intelligent and i know you will do so much better once you are in an environment where you are mentally stimulated and getting paid for it well. that's why i suggested something like a hospital technician. but yeah, really any kind of additional training.

hang in there. i hope you find something better soon for the summer.

The problem with jobs that require no training, is that it is easy come/easy go with the employers... they know they can get anybody in to do it, and such a decision may be as simple as he heard some buddy of his had a girlfriend/daughter who wanted a job, so he dumped you and brought in someone else. Or someone was out on vacation for a while and he had no intention of hiring you permanently, but didn't tell you that.

I really do think the best advice is to focus on getting training to do something that is in demand that is not so capricious/mercurial in hiring as unskilled minimum wage jobs are... take out a school loan if need be to support yourself, but carefully choose something in a field that is very in demand and where you know you can easily get/keep a job when you get out.

In the meantime, don't let this get to you... that is just the nature of those low level/unskilled jobs, where they see you as a throwaway cog in the wheel, and the turnover is immense and ever changing. It's not about you, it's about the nature of the jobs you having been working in. Just expect that you may not last long because nobody lasts long in those jobs, meanwhile get yourself trained to do something that doesn't have this kind of temp quality, where your skills are valued and they don't hire/fire frequently.

in a field that is very in demand and where you know you can easily get/keep a job when you get out.

I already have a Bachelor's in a field like this. The problem is it's so high demand that a lot of people major in it. So every December and every May there are a lot of new graduates entering the work force.

Archived