Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My sore brain.....migraine journal

Seraphim

I just read recently that putting your hands and feet in very warm water with a bag of frozen peas are your neck helps alleviate the pain. I hope this helps. chi

I will have to try that .

It has abated for now. It will abate for an hour and then slam me again for several hours then abate and repeat several times a day for days on end. This is just not a life sometimes.

I occasionally post in other forums but came accross this thread today. I have chronic migraines, too.

One suggestion--and this is not a fad or internet hoax--is to try a ketogenic diet. It's used mostly in pediatric epilepsy cases, but can work wonders in migraine as well. It's not easy (look up ketogenic and modified Atkins diets--both can work and the mod Atkins is easier), but you'll know within a week if it works. I went from migraines 2-4 times per week twice a month on the diet. Now, I can cheat every few weeks with carbs, but it's much better to deal with diet hassles than constant pain!

Unfortunately, you likely won't be able to fit it in with a normal diet--it's very high fat and very low carb. But, if you are miserable and preventative meds are not working (or don't want to try meds), it's worth a shot. Adults generally have a low compliance rate with it because it's strict and difficult to maintain, but it calms the brain down (thus, why it works in epilepsy) and if it's going to work, does so quickly and well.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I have been getting these new kind of headaches. It comes right up the back of the neck and over in the forehead almost like a set of two claws. And your head just spins and spins and spins. You feel like you're going to puke. As near as I can tell I think it's a tension headache.

Guest 2015betheyear

Hi,

First time poster.

I just wanted to add my sympathy.

I've suffered from headaches for like 30 years now, but thankfully mine, although frequent, are typically one-timers (last year i counted, 35 average or worse headaches, all sporadic through the year, mostly morning ones, seemed like a typical year).

I finally got myself to make an appointment with a neurologist, and the only good information i got out of it was confirmation that my brain wasn't too big.

but he did suggest removing this stuff out of my diet (no real effect on me over six months, but possible for you to consider?)

cheese, diet coke, chocolate, nuts, ice cream, nitrites(i think, basically sausage meat), fruit juices.

(sorry if repeated elsewhere, this thread is pretty long)

best wishes,

jo

I would like to empathise too. I have suffered with chronic migraine since age 11. I cannot take triptans due to other meds I'm on and I hate the weird sensation certain painkillers give me, like codeine, it makes me feel disorientated. I am back on beta blockers which helped at first but now the effect seems to have worn off. I don't want to increase the dose as they already make me feel light headed. I'd love to fine a non medical way to prevent my migraines. As I've got older the pain has gotten worse , I really can't describe the pain but it is practically unbearable , makes my whole body feel strange and shaky, severe nausea, you name it. They also last longer. I am considering Botox for them, have you thought about that? For now I just rely on a cool dark room, a cold cloth on my head and try to keep still for as long as possible. It's torture, especially when they last for longer than 24 hours. I also hate the 'migraine drone' you get afterwards- that awful hangover type feeling.

Thank you ladies I am sorry that you suffer from them too. I have pretty much narrowed down what most of my triggers are over the past couple decades. One of the big ones of mine is weather.

I haven't use migraine prescriptions in years because I found they don't work, at least for me. Being postmenopausal has unfortunately made mine worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always on the journals section and don't know how your title hasn't caught my eye.

I have a migraine now and have had them since I was a child. Actually, I think I would call mine more "headaches" than migraines. I've had episodes of migraines, I remember needing to be rushed back from school in middle school with the worst headache ever. I've been otherwise very, very healthy. No fevers basically my whole life, no stomach bugs, no puking. But the headaches persist. If I don't eat or sleep well, headache. If I hit my head a little, headache. If I get my period, headache. Luckily I don't think it's the migraine type and seems manageable.

My mom has had migraines since she was 3 years old. She was not diagnosed until her 20's though. Back when she was a kid it was thought children didn't get headaches. I had my first migraine at 23. My son was diagnosed with migraines at six. It is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. The pain is so severe you wish for death.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am terribly sorry for your pain.

I do hope you have a way of moderating the light on a computer screen, if indeed you are looking at one.

I have heard of meds working for some; I wish it were a more reliable aspect of science. I wish you well.

Victoria, I have just come accross this journal and haven't read all of it, so apologies if you've already mentioned this here, but have you ever sought treatment for your migraines? I have chronic migraines myself, and last summer I spent 5 weeks working at the Diamond Headache inpatient clinic in Chicago. They know a ton about headaches and migraines and could try some novel treatments you may not have been prescribed by a regular primary care physician.