Thank you, random homeless man

jengh

In no way is it his fault, I agree. Just lots of effort should be made never to find yourself alone thats for sure.

That is true. There are bad people everywhere, sick people who wait around for girls who are alone etc.

He sounds like an amazing guy.

He did everything he could! First, he called the flat...no answer (obviously), then he phoned the police and explained that I was missing. Apparently, the police were out looking for me but the cops I talked to sounded clueless about that fact.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I've been to England/London sooo many times and never knew this stuff happens.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

I also thought the police down there seemed more.. nicer? Not sure, but I always had alot of respect for the ones I'd seen so far and how seriously they take their job. Guess I was very very wrong.

Are you feeling ok now?

Sorry, I'm not very good with directions or roads. What part of England did it happen in?

I feel so fortunate that nothing horrible happened to me. The way he was grabbing at me, forcing me into dark alley, I knew he was going to rape me...or worse.

I'm fine, physically. Emotionally, ehhh...really shaken up.

It's not your fault Will. I know you feel responsible but Jenn is 100 % correct when she said these things happen anywhere and anytime.

Getting yourself hopped up on klonipins won't help her. Don't beat yourself up okay.

She's ok, thank god and if you both have learned anything, it is to be super cautious which is never a bad thing.

I agree about writing to the newspaper or doing anything you can to complain about the way the police handled the case.

Reminds me of this time I was a bit younger (16) and this guy was obviously about to get beat up. 2 Guys (a bit darker I think) had him shoved against a car and they seemed to be argueing. I looked on and actually wanted to see if we should do something, when my cousin (who lives there) grabbed me and yelled for looking.

From what I see most people there are too "afraid" (OR like BAG said they just can't be bothered to help) out of fear they'll get beat up. It seems it's something normal for them to just walk away.

Yeah we were on the steps. I don't mind saying. Clearly, I'm not at all anonymous on this forum : )

Nar I know, but ya might not want too many questions.

Its friggin mad that it happened there, there must of been afew people around thats absolutely awful. What a bunch of arses, not wanting to get involved in someone possibly even being murdered. I swear if I ever heard someone scream help i'd go straight for them..

That homeless guy was a godsend, I hope you find him. I am so happy you're alright and he saved you.

I'm so sorry this is the experience you had in our country, my city.

I'm sorry you went through this. I've lived in London. I'm not surprised by the indifference of strangers you experienced. It's consistent with what I've seen and friends have experienced whilst living there. I hope that apathy to strangers in trouble never becomes widespread here in the U.S.

we gave him all the momey we could find in both our wallets, amountng to about £40. I tried to get more information from him, but all he would stay is he stays in Newsham Park, then he was gone. We stopped some random portuguese guy for a light, he stopped and talked to us for a bit and even went looking for the assailant, but I think he was drunk... then I saw a police car and went and hammered on the window. Another police car was brought and they questioned Jenn while me and the Portuguese guy watched... but to no avail.

Then having no money, I called a cab, explained our situation and begged him to drive back to my flat free of charge... he agreed and when we got there Jenn realised there was some money in another part of her bag she had just got exchanged... so we gave the driver a full £20 even though it was only a £3 taxi ride he had said he would do for free... I don't know, I just felt so relieved to be home. I'll get Jenn the £20 back.

No, he couldn't hear me. We can't figure out why.

Yeah, he just came up and grabbed me, despite me saying NO multiple times. Not many people were around the library at that time, however, as we were on our "walk"/drag, there were a LOT of passerby.

Which makes me angry. If you saw a young woman being dragged against her will, wouldn't you stop to help and see if she was okay? It's not like it was a joking matter (when couples play-fight)... I was CRYING.

Yes. I would kick the guy in the balls and gouge his eye out. I can't believe no one helped you. Reminds me of the useless people in New York that stood there and watched that 90 year old man get beat up and no one helped him. I hate people.

Yes. I would kick the guy in the balls and gouge his eye out. I can't believe no one helped you. Reminds me of the useless people in New York that stood there and watched that 90 year old man get beat up and no one helped him. I hate people.

There was a similar case in my hometown (very small). An extremely mentally ill, mostly homeless guy was convinced to buy beer for a few minors. When he came out, they beat him nearly to death. This man, very well known around town as a kind soul, had NOTHING to his name. He wound up having to sell his car (his only possession) in order to survive). There were plenty of people around, but not one helped him.

He did everything he could! First, he called the flat...no answer (obviously), then he phoned the police and explained that I was missing. Apparently, the police were out looking for me but the cops I talked to sounded clueless about that fact.

I agree. I said 'In no way was it his fault' all Im saying is just dont get into that situation in the first place, which Im sure you know now!!! I just dont want to see you get hurt.

Carnatic, it really isnt your fault. you did what you could.

I cant imagine how you both must feel

Oh no!!! I literally started crying when I read this. You must have been so scared.

I am so so glad that man helped you. What an amazing thing. It's sickening because it should be a NO BRAINER that someone would step in and try to save you but unfortunately people are total pieces of garbage.

I am so thankful you are safe!

I cannot believe people. Reading the other comments just got me agreeing.

They would sure as hell want their loved ones to receive help in a crisis...

ARGH!!!! Selfish idiots.

i don't think it's directly carnatic's fault, but he shouldn't have left you sitting there in some strange city alone. ANYWHERE...no matter the circumstance.

sorry this happened ilmbc. unfortunately, stuff like this does happen everywhere. i'm sure it was terrifying. awesome homeless guy. props to him and glad you are safe now.

I agree. I said 'In no way was it his fault' all Im saying is just dont get into that situation in the first place, which Im sure you know now!!! I just dont want to see you get hurt.

Oh, I know!!! He's just feeling down, as if it was his fault.

I have to break silence for this one case. OH JEN! I am SO sorry this happened to you. It breaks my heart. It was NO ONE'S fault. People in this world make me SICK to the point I feel physically ill and give me little hope for the human race, truly. That homeless man was your angel. Try to be at peace sweetheart, just breath and take one day at a time. BIG hugs to you.

Oh dear! That's an awful experience for you to go through! I'm glad that you are okay and that homeless man was there in time to save you.

We live in a cruel world... but there's always a good samatarian to come by and help. Have to be very thankful about that.

Will, I agree with metro. Hopping yourself up on klonopin and weed won't do anything to help the situation. Stay sober to support your girlfriend. Blaming yourself won't help either. It could happen anywhere. In fact I'm surprised it hasn't happened to me yet, considering how often I walk in creepy neighborhoods at all times of the day, given the job I have in the town I live in.

It's not your fault! Stop smoking pot and drugging yourself up to "calm down". The only thing you can do now is be grateful nothing worse happened and be proactive about reporting the police for not caring and giving a description of this man to all that you can.

Even if you have to hire a sketch artist and go put fliers around the area of this man's face to warn others about him, then you should do it. Smoking pot won't do a thing.

Jenn, I'm glad you're ok. Of course write me if you need to talk privately about it. Thinking of you!

^^ OOhhhh Hers's idea about the flyers is a great one!

You know I'm willing to bet that you aren't the first girl this brut has done this too. I really hope you are able to convince the police to do a report and look into it.

Too many crimes turn into serial crimes because the police lack focus in finding these monsters.

Archived