Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

The BellaDonna, Get off Your Ass Journal

BellaDonna

Bikram yoga is the "hot" yoga, done in a room heated to 105 degrees. People who do it seem to love it, but personally I can't imagine subjecting myself to that - I hate saunas and steam rooms, so it sounds like torture to me.

Ha, that explains SO much... I was looking for jobs on craigslist the other day, and there was a posting asking for a "hot yoga instructor." I just thought it was a really unprofessional ad that could possibly get the posters in trouble for job discrimination.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha, that explains SO much... I was looking for jobs on craigslist the other day, and there was a posting asking for a "hot yoga instructor." I just thought it was a really unprofessional ad that could possibly get the posters in trouble for job discrimination.

HA HA HA! Maybe they were hoping to kill two birds with one stone, a hot hot yoga instructor. That's funny.

i like hot yoga. i've done it before. it makes you feel really really good. i've actually heard people moan in the class, lol. it does kind of have an orgasmic feeling to it, lol.

Oh my god - I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if people around me were moaning. Touch awkward. Yeah, everyone I know who's tried it has said good things about it, but I always wonder if they're just most resistant to heat than I am. Maybe I'll give it a go. Definitely the thing to do if you're trying to squeeze into a dress at the last minute: it's super dehydrating. I know athletes who want to do it because they love the flexibility it gives them, but they just have too much trouble re-hydrating after the session. You lose a ton of fluids.

Bikram yoga is the "hot" yoga, done in a room heated to 105 degrees. People who do it seem to love it, but personally I can't imagine subjecting myself to that - I hate saunas and steam rooms, so it sounds like torture to me.

LOL Oh I didn't realize it was the hot and sweaty yoga. I could not do that. I already have issues about everyone's feet at the gym. I feel that gyms smell like feet and sweat. I don't think I'd last in a room of bare sweating feet. I have too many issues. lol

Went to the gym this morning with my son. I only got 5 mintues in on the elliptical machine because he freaked out at the kids activity center.

This sucks!

I am going to keep trying to warm him up to it but this was a really bad start. So dicouraging! I am going try to return there without him later, so I can at least get a workout in today.

crap ](*,)

Oh no! Is he not used to being in a daycare type situation with other children? I think you said that family usually takes care of him, so maybe it'll just take him a little while to get used to it. Do you think it would help if you went there once just to take him to the activities center and stuck around while he played?

On the bright side, 5 minutes on the elliptical is better than nothing!

He is only cared for by my family so he is not used to that setting, but he does have friends he plays with regularly. When I first got there I stayed with him for about 15 minutes per the suggestion of the worker, then I handed him over to her and explained that I would be going to exercise and would be back soon. He cried a little as I left- nothing alarming.

But then she came out in to the gym area and got me (while holding him) after 5 minutes because he totally flipped out and cried so hard he was choking.

I am not going to give up but this is going to be an uphill battle for a while, I'm sure.

He's a very sensitive kid.

I'm going to try to take him into the pool next time- he'll probably like that. I think i will leave him again and see how it goes, but this time be equipped with our bathing suits because if he doesn't last in the center at least I can still take him into the pool with me and create some kind of workout WITH him. He's almost 40lbs so I can try to use him as a water weight. lol Maybe if he associates staying in the child center with a fun reward like swimming afterwards, it will work out.

It's going to be Hell though, to start.

Since today sucked so much I decided to schedule a massage tomorrow. My neck has been locking up on me due to my work posture and also because it is where I carry my stress.

Neuromuscular deep tissue bliss can't wait!

Actually it tends to hurt more than feel relaxing - but afterwards I feel re-born and can turn my head better

The last time I went was about a year ago and the therpist told me she had never felt a neck so bad in all of her career. She kepts popping lactic acid pockets in my neck and using suction cups. I ended up bruised. I felt so much better afterwards though.

I had a better gym experience today with my son, than I did the first time.

He was in a rotton mood before we got there because he tantrumed about not wanting to put his shoes on to leave. Then when we got there he cried in the Kids' center. I stayed with him for 15 minutes and then I left for 5 minutes to put our stuff in a locker and stretch. He HAS to keep getting used to this, even if it is for 5 minutes at a time.

When I came back to get him he was really choked up crying for me. I took him in to the locker room to change into our bathing suits and he has just about the WORST public tantrum ever. However once we got to the pool he was like a new child. He LOVED it. We stayed in for an hour and a half and I tried to make it a workout for me too- doing running laps while bouncing and holding him, etc. When he had enough of the water, he asked to come out and was very well behaved for getting changed back into regular clothes, going home, eating lunch, and crashing for his nap because he was so tired.

They key to this ever working is that I will have to keep bribing him with the pool. He needs to associate going to the kid's center with going to the pool afterwards. Each time I will try to leave him for longer and longer before I come back and take him for a swim.

Some day (or YEAR) if I keep with up with this, I should be able to get a damn workout in first, before going to the pool with him. He may be a stubborn child but he will never be more stubborn than his mother. I'm not bending on this one. He has to go to the kid center. It is good for him to be there with other children and get used to a setting like that.

When we got back from the gym I also took him for a brisk walk for 45 minutes to get some more exercise in.

tomorrow night I am going to the gym, WITHOUT him, alone. Yay. I actually view it as a refuge. I never thought I'd see exercise that way. lol

We're making progress, slowly but surely.

Ok- I've had a stable weight for a year now and have not gained anything.

I've been going to the gym and eating perfectly well all this week and suddenly I am 2 pounds heavier this morning????????? I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, in my b-day suit- and I have not gotten a period since January, due to Mirena- so I know there were not any confounding variables that would explain it.

I know it could be muscle increase but if so, why didn't my bodyfat % decrease along with the 2lb increase? (my scale measures lbs, bodyfat%, and hydration)

I'll have to wait a week and weigh myself again. I'm not particularly happy about this at all. :silly: I'm hoping it's a fluke.

I hit the gym this morning alone before work.

My workout was:

Ellipitical Machine 40 mintutes (it said I burned 300+ calories, I don't know if I believe it)

Lower body stretches 5 minutes

Weight training, upper body

Biceps

Triceps

Shoulders

Pecs

3 sets of 12 reps for each muscle group using 8lb free weights.

I'll "attempt" the childcare center at the gym tomorrow again with my son. Hopefully he will not wear his horns there this time.

Somdeday I might be able to work out for a whole 30 mintues while he stays there and plays. I have a feeling he'll last 5 minutes tomorrow and then they'll come and get me off a machine again and we'll be going straight to the pool, jumping around with "noodles". :silly: I guess it is better than ZERO workout grrrr...

My son lasted 15 minutes in the child activity center at the gym today. That is much better than his 5 minute stays.

I was able to get in 15 minutes of HIIT on the elliplical machine before they paged me. They would have waited longer to page me if his diaper hadn't leaked. They said this time he was less hysterical when I left.

When I went to get him he said "go in the pool" so he realizes the pool come AFTER he goes to the child center- which is good because I can bribe him with it.

We stayed in the pool for a hour and I did some water aerobics while holding him. He was very good in the pool and an angel in the locker room. So there's hope yet!

I am going to do some upper body freeweights at home when he goes to bed tonight.I will probably also take a walk after dinner because it's gorgeous outside.

You're doing so well with the working out, Bella! You and Metrogirl are making me feel like a real slacker.

I have to say this battle of wills you have going on with your son is cracking me up. At least you know where he's getting his stubbornness from The pool is great exercise, even if you're just splashing around in there. It's great that he loves it so much. This must bode well for your time on the boat with him this summer!

Thanks, sophie! Even though he drives me crazy most of the time, I too laugh at our battle of wills (when he is asleep).... All I know is that the kid better put me in the most ritzy nursing home out there when I am an old bag of bones. He owes me one.

He's really socking it to me during the toddler stage.

I have a feeling "the boat" will be an interesting experience. He loved it the past 2 summers, but now he likes the throw things so we will have to be careful not to leave anything of value withim reach, otherwise it will end up OVERBOARD. I can see my cell phone disappearing into oblivion in 40ft. of water otherwise.

He's definitely a little skunk.

On the fitness front I guess chasing him helps to keep me in shape.

Thanks, sophie! Even though he drives me crazy most of the time, I too laugh at our battle of wills (when he is asleep).... All I know is that the kid better put me in the most ritzy nursing home out there when I am an old bag of bones. He owes me one.

He's really socking it to me during the toddler stage.

I have a feeling "the boat" will be an interesting experience. He loved it the past 2 summers, but now he likes the throw things so we will have to be careful not to leave anything of value withim reach, otherwise it will end up OVERBOARD. I can see my cell phone disappearing into oblivion in 40ft. of water otherwise.

He's definitely a little skunk.

On the fitness front I guess chasing him helps to keep me in shape.

Nursing home? No way. Insist on moving into the in-law suite and making him wait hand and foot on you!

Throwing does seem to be a big thing in the toddler age. Some of our friends came to visit and brought along their three year old, and as we were sitting at the table together at breakfast with me minding my own business he started throwing strawberries at me. Just replace whatever you have on the deck on your boat with heavy-duty velcro and strap everything down!

Archived