Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

The BellaDonna, Get off Your Ass Journal

BellaDonna

Wow Bella I wish I was that flexible (and really, didn't think it was physically possible for the elbows to touch I can touch my finger tips lol. The reason why I struggle with basic pilates and yoga at times.

Keep up the great work!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's gym workout

Cardio 35 minutes on ellipitical crosstrainer- 30 min HIIT, 5 min cooldown

Calf raises (off edge of step) 3 sets of 15

Lower body stretches 5 minutes

Upper Body weights 10 minutes. Biceps, Triceps, Pecs, shoulders 3 sets of 12 using 10lb weights

Abs- 10 minutes: Captain's chair 3 sets of 15 forward, right, left- Ab machine 15 reps @30lbs

Ugh. I am so tired today. I forced myself to go to the gym this evening after dinner. I'm glad I did.

Today's workout

Cardio- 35 minutes on the ellipitical crosstrainer (30 minutes HIIT, 5 min cooldown)

My legs were SO SORE from yesterday, especially my calves. So I set the machine on the highest incline so my glutes and hamstrings would be worked harder and my calves spared.

Lower body stretches - 5 minutes

Upper Body Weight Training- 10 minutes - I used machines today instead of freeweights. I focused on shoulders and lats only- 3 sets of 12

Abs- 5 minutes- Captains Chair 3 sets of 15, Ab machines 3 sets of 12

I thought I'd post my day of eating today in case anyone reading is wondering what I eat in a course of a day.

Breakfast: 1 whole wheat mini bagel with 1tbsp natural peanut butter.

Coffee with ff cream and 2 splenda

MidMorning Snack: South Beach Diet high protein cereal bar-chocolate flavor

Lunch 1 whole wheat hambuger roll with 3 slices turkey breast, 1 slice of 2% cheese, and lettuce

Midafternoon snack- 1/2 cup of fruit- berries, oranges

Dinner- 2 veggie burger patties (no bread) dipped in 1tbsp sugar free ketchup with steamed green beans with olive oil and sea salt

Post-workout night snack 1 chocolate whey protein shake mixed with skim milk and 1 small banana

Supplements: Daily vitamin for women, Omega 3 fish oil, Vitamin b-12 complex, calcium and vitamin D tablet

Beverages- 96oz of water.....1 sangria (that is where the "fruit" in my midafternoon snack came from lol) don't normally drink alcohol at all. When I do I opt for Bacardi and Diet Coke. the Sangria was a treat today.

Thanks lunar. I only seriously started trying to lose the weight once he was about 18 months old. Before then I just didn't have the energy and wasn't ready to make it a priority.

With me it's either all or nothing. I knew once I set out to lose the weight it would mean MAJOR lifestyle changes. I had to wait until it was a more manageable time in my life to do it.

Thanks lunar. I only seriously started trying to lose the weight once he was about 18 months old. Before then I just didn't have the energy and wasn't ready to make it a priority.

With me it's either all or nothing. I knew once I set out to lose the weight it would mean MAJOR lifestyle changes. I had to wait until it was a more manageable time in my life to do it.

I agree, I just want to make sure I am back on the healthy track after the baby is born. I have been leading a pretty active lifestyle for about 2 years now and I find I am happy where I am at, and I want to make sure I come back to that.

-Went to a college graduation last night. There was a reception afterwards with tons of delicious-looking pastries. I had my eye on some brownies that looked particularly yummy with a caramel icing.

I didn't end up eating any though. It was past 8pm and I knew I'd totally regret it. I also wasnt' able to hit the gym yesterday at all so I could not even counter it with exercise. I opted for some strawberries and grapes, and 2 little cubes of cheese instead.

I'm glad I didn't eat the brownie. I kept repeating a mantra in my head "Swimsuit season is fast approaching-- If you eat that brownie it will stick right to your ass, and you'll pay the consequences all summer."

-Went to a college graduation last night. There was a reception afterwards with tons of delicious-looking pastries. I had my eye on some brownies that looked particularly yummy with a caramel icing.

I didn't end up eating any though. It was past 8pm and I knew I'd totally regret it. I also wasnt' able to hit the gym yesterday at all so I could not even counter it with exercise. I opted for some strawberries and grapes, and 2 little cubes of cheese instead.

I'm glad I didn't eat the brownie. I kept repeating a mantra in my head "Swimsuit season is fast approaching-- If you eat that brownie it will stick right to your ass, and you'll pay the consequences all summer."

I am going to have to make that my mantra.

I have not been to the gym since Monday night. (3 days!) I feel tired and sluggish. My schedule this week was atypical and I had to change things around for a graduation, a seminar at work, and babysitting dilemmas.

I HAVE to get there tomorrow.

I can totally feel a negative difference in my energy and overall mood because I have not gotten my exercise in.

I have not been to the gym since Monday night. (3 days!) I feel tired and sluggish. My schedule this week was atypical and I had to change things around for a graduation, a seminar at work, and babysitting dilemmas.

I HAVE to get there tomorrow.

I can totally feel a negative difference in my energy and overall mood because I have not gotten my exercise in.

I know what you mean. I missed working out today and will probably not work out tomorrow or the weekend because I am sick. I'm not happy with this and with the disruption in my routine.

I hope you make it to the gym tomorrow.

I think working out enhances my mood significantly. I feel like a cranky blob if too much time goes by without getting the the gym.

I never thought I would feel more tired from NOT physically exerting myself, but that seems to be the case.

I am also having food cravings for sugar and other junkfood- which usually goes hand-in-hand with the cranky mood. lol

I am feeling better today because I went to the gym.

I did 35 minutes on a standard ellipitical machine instead of the crosstrainer machine, in order to change things up. I feel like a traditional ellipitcal, in addition to working leg muscles, works the obliques more, if I pull in my core when running. It doesn't work my hamstrings as hard as the crosstrainer though.

After cardio I did ab machines for 15 minutes, then after that I did 10 minutes of upper body weight training and 5 minutes of stretching.

Today I noticed that my reps with 10lb weights for biceps and triceps felt too easy. I will have to increase to 12lb weights next time, to feel the burn. 10lbs was still enough for shoulders and pectorals to burn though.

I have more energy when I work out, so it really helps to keep me moving and on task. The hardest is part is trying to fit it in to an already-packed schedule but I just HAVE to make it a priority. It is one of the few things I can do for myself amongst the madness.

Today's workout (a little rushed because I had to get to work eariler than usual for boring meeting):

Cardio 30 minutes HIIT ellipitcal crosstrainer

Stretching: Lower body- 3 minutes

Abs- 3 sets of 15 on the captain's chair

Upper body weights: beiceps, triceps, pectorals, shoulders 2 sets of 12 using 12lb free-weights

I was done in 45 minutes instead of an hour which afforded me time to shower and get ready in the locker room, before I had to fly to work. -Arrived at the meeting with wet hair but other than that I made good time.

If I absolutely MUST have a cookie- I opt for one of these:

image removed

Serving size: 1 cookie

Calories: 130,

Calories from fat: 45

Total fat =6g

Saturated Fat= 1.5g

Trans Fat =0g

Cholesterol= 0mg

Sodium =65mg

Total Carbs= 20g

Fiber =4g

Sugars= 8g

Protein=2g

Full info at:

link removed

Hey Bella, been keeping up with your thread, and I give you lots of props for making an effort to keep up with your exercise with a toddler and a job..it must be tough.

Anyway, not sure what your situation is at home as far as space, but in your case I think a home gym would be the perfect solution. If you could even get a bench, an exercise ball and free weights, you could accomplish a WHOLE lot in your home...and if you don't have a treadmill, just walk the neighborhood for cardio with your son. About three years ago, I opted to take the money I was spending in fees at the gym and buy a good treadmill, weight bench and weights..it was by FAR the best decision I made. Now I roll out of bed, jump on my treadmill work out and am done...without ever having to worry about the weather, driving or traffic...it's GREAT!!!!

Just a suggestion, but either way, you go girl!!!!

Thanks H20. I used to have a home gym, before I had my son. Then the room I used for my home gym became a nursery. I sold my stationary bike and my universal Gym and bench.

I do still have a treadmill, some free-weights, a stability ball, and many DVDs- but for me I found that when I was home it was very difficult for me to make exercising a priority. I'd either get lazy and want to lay down on the sofa when I had free time, or I'd be doing chores. So "going to the gym" FORCES me to dedicate time to myself to exercise. When I am at the gym all I can do is work out- and I won't be tempted to stop short to go fold laundry.

I also don't mind paying the fees since it also gives me and my son access to a large heated swimming pool and free swim lessons for him. He also gets a chance to socialize with other kids in the child center while I work out. I am glad that he is getting used to a preschool-like setting because it will make the transition easier for him once he goes to real preschool.

So right now it is worth the money for the gym membership, but when he gets older (I'm thinking 5+) I might go back to working out at home. -Then I plan on taking the money I am using for the gym membership and investing in a maid instead- I can make a good case for it then. (I desperately miss my former cleaning lady )

Today's workout:

20 minutes on the ellipitical crosstrainer. -Then I got paged from the child center because my son would not stop crying. ](*,) The machine said I burned 200 calories. I guess that is better than nothing.

After that we went in the pool for 30 minutes.

They taste very good. They are soft and chewy with a good amount of chocolate in them- a real treat. Kashi makes other varieties of cookies, but I have not tried the others yet. I always go for the chocolate.

I must be hungry they look so good

We buy Kashi cereal a lot; but they look so delicious (not sure why the store we go to don't carry it).

They are really good- and also a good-sized cookie. That's important because the serving size is "1 cookie". They are not tiny.

I hate it when companies put ridiculous serving sizes on their packaging. One of my pet peeves is that the standard serving size for ice cream is "1/2 cup". What a joke! Who came up with that, an ANT? Who eats a half cup of ice cream. I eat a BOWL of it. Speaking of ice cream, one of my substitutes for it is "Only 8" frozen yogurt- which is the lesser evil link removed

Once or twice a year I will have real ice cream, and far more than a half cup of it. Yum.

Archived