Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

The BellaDonna, Get off Your Ass Journal

BellaDonna

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the cold weather. It's so hard for me not to eat things like mashed potatoes or warm apple pie when it is so freezing and grey outside. That combined with boredom is a bad mix. I have a lack of energy this time of year too. This daylight savings time hibernation nonsense is annoying.

I have been staying on track and have not gained anything, but I noticed that my food cravings increase with thiis kind of weather, especially for sugar and empty carbs. I am not going to give in to them- but I can't wait until Spring!!!!

I'm still exercising indoors whenever I can but nothing beats the fresh air and sun and a nice brisk walk or jog. I miss that.

Oh well January is almost over and February is a shorter month so hopefully they will fly by, March I can deal with a litte more, and I am going to start a targeted weight training regimen then so I will be ready for a swimsuit in June.

June will mark the one year anniversary of my serious efforts to lose that 30lbs, which I had started in June 09. Cool. I'm glad I have not gained any back.

I'm still on track. No weight gain.

I am getting cabin fever though. I can't wait to be outdoors. I need sun and fresh air.

Even boating burns calories (There is a selection for it on link removed under activities) - I am always in better shape in the summer because of all the swimming that we do off the boat and even stuff like pulling in an anchor takes some arm power. I can't wait to get back out on the water. It's going to be a looooong wait until June!

Over the weekend we had horribly cold windchills. How ridiculous would I look if I bought a ski mask in order walk outside? Knowing my luck, someone will call the police on me.

I found out today that a rather certifiable coworker, "M", has been "hatin' on me" so to speak.

My friend told me that M and another woman were talking about weight loss and the other woman mentioned how much weight I had lost, etc. Well "M" told the woman that I did a "liquid diet in order to prove how much weight I could lose"

That is totally ridiculous and false.

First of all, no Italian person like me, could ever survive a liquid diet. lol There is too much good food in the world and my family would force feed me. Second of all, when I was having food shipped to me it consisted of oatmeal, bars, shakes, pudding, soups, and I had my own "lean and green" meal each day with fresh foods. I did that plan for a month to jumpstart my weight loss. Then I moved on to all whole foods. Even when on that meal plan I ate 6 times a day with only one of those 6 meals being a shake. -Liquid diet?

The fact that she'd say something so asinine like that makes me want to smack her.

Anyways, vent over. She's being a hater because she's been on weight watchers and yet she gained weight since starting. :silly:

Have you ever thought about moving out of the wicked, cruel, winter weather zone? I live near Los Angeles and we go outside and play year round! Last week everybody came to work in shorts and flip-flops. Gotta love Cali in the winter! I've lived in many places and we have the fittest people here because outdoor activities are almost an everyday event. I bet you would love it here!

Have you ever thought about moving out of the wicked, cruel, winter weather zone? I live near Los Angeles and we go outside and play year round! Last week everybody came to work in shorts and flip-flops. Gotta love Cali in the winter! I've lived in many places and we have the fittest people here because outdoor activities are almost an everyday event. I bet you would love it here!

I don't think I could ever move. All of my family and friends are here, I have a really good job, and I love my house. I'd have a hard time leaving my roots.

My ideal would be to one day be a snow bird and travel to a warmer climate for winters once my husband and I retire.

• 2 weeks later...

So true to the title of this journal I decided to get off my ass this morning. I woke up an hour earlier and did a 45 minute kickboxing DVD which incorporated free weights.

I felt really good afterwards and I plan to do at least 30 minutes of some kind of exercise every day.

These are my affirmations for today about why it is worth waking up an hour earlier in the morning instead of sleeping

*Swimsuit season is not too far away (4 months)and it will be worth all of the pain when I can put on my old bikini that I used to wear before I ever had a child.

*I will be able to have friends come on the boat with my husband and I and not feel self-conscious or like I need to cover up.

*I will be able to sit and not worry about sucking in my stomach.

*I will be able to wear one of my favorite dresses that I have not worn since 2005.

tomorrow's exercise plan: 1.) Upper body workout using free weights and stability ball. 2.) Ab boot camp routine.

I had an appointment with my doctor last week. She was very happy with my weight loss but reccomended that I take a calcium supplement. The 1 glass of skim milk I have each day to mix with my protein shake is not enough calcium. She wants me to take an additional supplement:

link removed

So my total supplements each day are:

1 Centrum for women vitamin

1 Vitamin B-12 tablet

1 Omega 3 fish oil tablet, twice per day

1 Caltrate tablet, twice per day

This morning I got an chiropractic adjustment to fix everything that I screwed up with my back and neck over the past week. I also got my hair done. Feelin' good

Go Bella! Those are all great reasons, and 1/2 hour a day is very manageable. Sometimes, if I can't face exercising, I just go on a long walk. It's so easy, but it's still good exercise.

I look forward to seeing your progress! And ... swimsuit pics? I ordered some suits over the week-end for my vacation in March, and am both looking forward to and dreading trying them on, depending on how they end up looking on me!

I look forward to seeing your progress! And ... swimsuit pics?

LOL- ick another thing I have to work on is how damn white I am right now. Soon it will be time to start using

image removed

I also do get a little bit of sun. I always use sunblock but I end up tanning from hours out on the water. I'm Sicilian so I can handle it. (I know it is against recommendations of dermatologists but I persist) It does not seem to damage my skin because I never let myself burn- and I use waterproof spf 9000 on my face.lol

Wow, talk about fantastic, to take fitness by the horns! Go...BellaDonna...Go!

Thanks absinthe!

Today's exercise:

15 minutes: abs 3 sets of 15 for each muscle (upper, lower, obliques-each side)

15 minutes: upper body- free weights- 3 sets of 15 for each muscle (I'm such a total wimp- I remember back to when I could use 15lb dumbells for bicep curls but now I am tired with 5lbs)

I need to build up some strength and resistance!!

Grrr...I didn't get much exercise in today. I did have good intentions. I woke up an hour earlier in order to go a 30 mintue workout, got into my workout clothes, but then I heard my little guy wake up early too and say "Where's mommy? I want milk". So that pretty much ended that attempt.

If it were not winter and not freezing, I could have turned that situation into a nice early morning walk and he could have eaten his breakfast while riding in his stroller. But it is cold, snowy, and icey.

After he was squared away, fed, and dressed, it was time for me to finally get ready for work. That was also rushed. I'm lucky I had matching socks on by the time it was all said and done before I left.

Then when I got home from work, the dreaded dinner hour took place (preparing food in a rush while exhausted) Then family time.

Then hubby and the little one went to bed and I have about 2 hours to myself to relax (and write in my ENA journal) before doing it all again tomorrow. At this point I am near-dead and ready to wind down, and not wind up- I'm definitely not up for exercise at that time.

Anyways, the only exercise I got today was taking the stairs instead of the elevator and walking to my car (parked further away on purpose) at work.

During the winter, on a work day, if the exercise does not happen in the morning, the prospects are very grim. If it is not the first thing I do in a day then it is very hard to fit in.

I did eat very well today but the ab flab needs exercise to disappear. Dieting does not tone.](*,)

I should add:

I hate exercising. There, I said it.

It sucks. It's drudgery. It's in the same category as cleaning toilets.

It's so much easier in the warmer weather when it can be something fun & natural like walking or jogging outdoors, or swimming- and it just fits into the day without much effort.

I hate & skeeve gyms and even though I prefer to work out at home I feel like hamster on a wheel when I am working out at home. For instance, laying on the floor like a chump doing crunches or bellydancing like a silly lunatic in front of the TV to my DVD. I'm sure to close the shades for that one. My neighbors don't need to see me in my time of pain & suffering.

Waking up early to have to do it is the WORST.

Baaaa....

Thanks so much RW. One of the main things that helps me resist sweets/sugar & refined carbs is that I do get instant results as soon as I cut them out. It's rewarding when you have resisted for the week and then see change on the scale. It makes it worth it.

Right now I am not trying to lose any more pounds though- I just want to tone and build more muscle, and reduce my bodyfat percentage. One of the hard things about exercise is that it takes much more time to see results from it and to see real change is happening. That's why I struggle with the exercise part. I'm so impatient and easily discouraged. If I wake up extra early to do a work out I will not physically see any results- it will be the cumulative effect of SEVERAL workouts over a period time that will show me that it is "worth it". It seems like so long to wait, and such a massive effort.

This morning I did wake up earlier and do my 38 minute bellydance core conditioning DVD. I pushed myself through it. I do feel good for the rest of the day when I start my day with exercising.

Even though I did my bellydance DVD yesterday morning I also took a walk with my son in the late afternoon. The sun was out, some of the ice had melted and it was not too deadly-cold outside. So I got another 30 minutes of exercise in, in the late afternoon before dark.

I was a little creeped-out though because I could hear coyotes howling when we were walking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bella,

I read the first and last page of this journal. I just wanted to ask, do you have any before and after pictures from when you started-today?

I am asking for rated G or PG pictures, nothing perverted. I just enjoy working out as well and I would like to see your progress. The main reason for this question is because you said on page 1 "I would like to lose about 20lbs" and now you are saying "Right now I am not trying to lose any more pounds though- I just want to tone and build more muscle, and reduce my bodyfat percentage"... GREAT JOB!

Here is a little piece of info that you can take and run with if you would like...

There is a forum out there that you can discuss your diet and wants with people. There are thousands of women on there and thousands that have the same goal. Do you care if I post the website on here or should I send it to your private inbox? I don't want to break any "advertising" rules on here.

This website helped me learn hundreds of training tips that I never knew... and I thought I knew it all after 8 years of vigorous training!

Let me know and congratu-freakin-lations! I bet you are looking great!

Oh, definitely post the link. It's not against the rules if it is for information and not spam.

The main reason for this question is because you said on page 1 "I would like to lose about 20lbs" and now you are saying "Right now I am not trying to lose any more pounds though- I just want to tone and build more muscle, and reduce my bodyfat percentage"... GREAT JOB!

After all was said and done my total weight loss has been 30lbs. I lost it from about June2009-present. But it was mostly based on diet.

In the past I have done the BFL challenge (2004) link removed and I would say that was the time that I was in the best "shape" ever. The program required a lot of weight training. I plan on increasing my weight training soon. My main problem is time contraints. It is no longer realistic for me to dedicate one hour per day to just upper body or just lower body, like the BFL plan prescribes.

For the BFL challenge they have you take official "before and after" pics. I did that in 2004, but I didn't do that this time around I bascially can just see the difference in regular pics from before I lost the weight and now. (fat vs. not fat lol)

I'm still plugging along. There's been a little bit of Spring weather in the air lately and I'm loving it. I've been taking walks and also doing some deep house cleaning.

I entered in my activities on link removed and apparently cleaning burns a lot of calories.

I have not been too good about using my free weights for resistance training. It's just sooooooo hard to fit in right now. I did give my son a laugh by holding him like a barbell and using him for "bicep curls". He's pretty heavy!!!! I also do squats with him (as many as he'll let me do before he runs away)

I actually have a few kickboxing DVD's and they do offer a great workout. It's time to shake the dust off them...

Today I took my son for a walk and also tried a new workout DVD

image removed

Oh Lord that was a total disappointment!!!! I thought it might be an intense cardio workout with some sexiness added in but it was so cheesy and most of the time you are given boring instructions in slow motion instead of dancing consistently at a vigorous pace.

It's good to have in a DVD library I suppose to mix things up a little but it did not meet my expectations. I should have read reviews BEFORE bought it. ](*,) My bellydance DVD's are so much better.

I didn't exercise today. I woke up feeling congested and sick. I almost made it through the winter without one cold. Crap!

I don't really have much of an apetite. I didn't get my six small meals into today like I usually do.

Hopefully it will pass soon, and I'm REALLY hoping that my son doesn't get sick too.

Archived