Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Annie's Journal of Dating and Body Hair Removal

annie24

Honestly I cant say I disagree with Blue Spiral... As long as somone works and has a work ethic, ambition shouldnt matter. Its someones life and you do what you want as long as you make a living honestly. Indeed having free time is good too... Depending if you are single, depending on your age maybe. Some folks dont/cant work (mentally or physically disabled) and Im all for help/welfare for them. And yes Annie someone can have a pretty decent profession and achievied long studies and not make much money. Where I live a teacher with a PhD make around $25.000 a year in the beggining. Not much for someone teaching kids education and life.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a lot of hard-working artist friends - they often have to have several jobs just to be able to support their passion - they may be teaching classes, doing freelance work, or even have a whole job in addition to their art shows, etc... But i don't even see how working at fast food you can support yourself (apartment, car, gas, insurance, groceries, etc.) Unless you are living with your family, that just doesn't work.

Honestly I cant say I disagree with Blue Spiral... As long as somone works and has a work ethic, ambition shouldnt matter. Its someones life and you do what you want as long as you make a living honestly. Indeed having free time is good too... Depending if you are single, depending on your age maybe. Some folks dont/cant work (mentally or physically disabled) and Im all for help/welfare for them. And yes Annie someone can have a pretty decent profession and achievied long studies and not make much money. Where I live a teacher with a PhD make around $25.000 a year in the beggining. Not much for someone teaching kids education and life.

It's not about the money, as you point out - as you can be educated and hard working and make barely any money. I think it has more to do with compatibility and similarities in life views/goals/lifestyles. It's like a couch potato being married to a gym rat. Mr. Burger King is just not where Charlene is (PhD, university professor, teaching classes, writing a book, being interviewed by the national media on her topic of expertise). She's a high achiever, comes from a family of high achievers, and I think this guy just isn't very inspiring. Apart from hot sex, he doesn't have much to offer her or motivate her to be better. know what i mean? I think she would absolutely date the teacher you described.

I don't know... We all have ambitions and "requirements". I've always wanted to date guys that my dad would admire. It just happens that I admire them too. Since I was a very little girl I would say that I would marry "a blue eyed ivy league guy with a lot of ambition". It was kind of a joke with my friends. I had such a fixation with that that it was a joke between my friends that I would end up falling in love with a guy who rode a motorcyle with tattoos and piercing. Or a guy who worked at McDonalds. Instead, all of my LT boyfriends have been... well educated, clean cut, good guys. I'm currently dating a blue eyed guy from Harvard with a lot of ambition (more than I could imagine, started a 1.5 b dollar company). I met him on tinder and honestly had ZERO idea, other than the pretty face. We've been dating for over 1 year and just moved in together. My sister always jokes that her maid of honor speech will be: "Well, my older sister always said she was going to marry an X Y Z guy... and she did". I've never deviated from my taste and honestly find it almost impossible for me to fall in love with an artist full of tattoos and piercings. I'm 28, could still happen. But, I just don't see it. It's not about the money as my family comes from TONS of money. I would also never fall in love with a billionaire playboy who didn't go to college. It's not my type either. I admire hard working, ambitious, 1% type guys. I've been lucky to meet them.

Of course... If he is great in bed because he has a big willy but his ambition is to loaf around at home all day and cook some burgers for 6 hours... Yes he isnt very interesting. As you said hes a summer fling. Will remain a good memory for your friend but he is in no way her future husband.

speaking of which, Carol said a guy on match recently stopped talking to her once she said what she did for a living (cancer researcher). He was some sort of mechanic. Carol felt really bad for herself, saying she should have answered something more sexy (gourmet chef?) I just think he was intimidated and decided to move on...

I think you are the only person to meet a quality date on Tinder. lol.

We both took it as a joke and it worked. I was not using the app seriously. Lol. Also his younger brother went to grad school with me so we had friends in common. Never in a million years would I thought tinder worked even though 1 year ago or so it had better quality than it does today.

On a sort of related (?) note, I really hate office politics sometimes. I'm on a project with Fiona which my boss asked me to do while he is on vacation. Fiona is out of town too (she is eloping in the Caribbean). I am actually out of a reagent that I need for Fiona's project, so I asked her coworker, Tatiana, if I could borrow a little bit from her so I didn't have to buy it from a company and wait for 3 days for shipping for like 1 drop of liquid. Tatiana informed me that her and Fiona do not have a good relationship and do not talk, and she wasn't even aware she was getting married this weekend?? (they sit right next to each other!!) Tatiana said she would normally let me borrow what I need but she feels awkward giving it to me because it's for Fiona. Therefore, she asked if I would get it from someone else. So I did. Not a problem, I found someone else 5 minutes later who had what I needed. It's just weird. I never see men in the office like this. And I'm positive that if my boss asked Tatiana, she would have given him the reagent. i really really don't understand what goes on with women sometimes.

Not at all judgemental sounding o.0

Of course! We all are. You demonstrated that you are by the way you answered my post. Allow me to reiterate: I don't get art or artists. Never have, never will. BUT, I like them quite a bit because they tend to think outside the box a bit and I am very comfortable in the box. I'm number smart, very smart. I love math and science. I'm blunt and logical. I can have sex without love and enjoy it. I orgasm easily, my mind doesn't wander during sex. I smile a lot and do math problems in my head for fun. I can't draw a straight line for the life of me. Astral physics was my favorite class in college. I love numbers. I'm very independent and try to rely on no one but myself. I tell the best dirty jokes of all my friends. I strongly believe in gay marriage. I love people of all races. I'm very pragmatic. I don't see races or colors, I just see people. I hated being married but I have a lot of close friends of both sexes, gay and straight. I love cats and kids. I enjoy working word problems. My favorite color is green. My favorite number is 6. I'm very tall, with blonde hair and grayish-blue eyes. I used to model briefly. I also used to gallop racehorses for a living. I have also taught math, history, and science. My son is autistic. My dad was an abusive alcoholic who died right in front of me when I was 12. I hated him. I didn't grieve. My mother died when I was 40. I loved her very much but I was happy her suffering was over (she had multi-infarct dementia). I lost my beloved fiance 4 years ago, but my pragmatic side has led me to continue on and make a good life for myself. He was an attorney who was also very pragmatic and blunt and we adored each other for almost 12 years. I still miss him, but I love my life. I love earth tones in everything! I love wood burning traditional fireplaces, paneling, and mahogany furniture.

There, I've given you some insight into who I really am. NOW you can judge me and I won't take offense .

Who would expect a binary thinking math teacher to have appreciation for the arts? Not everyone can live a repetitious life of being a teacher and teaching the same thing over and over again. Some people couldn't live a life like that. Just sayin'.

Who would expect a binary thinking math teacher to have appreciation for the arts? Not everyone can live a repetitious life of being a teacher and teaching the same thing over and over again. Some people couldn't live a life like that. Just sayin'.

I would say the same about people whose thinking is so rigid that they cannot imagine a math teacher being an artist or patron of the arts. Sounds like a boring way to live, making those kinds of assumptions.

I would say the same about people whose thinking is so rigid that they cannot imagine a math teacher being an artist or patron of the arts. Sounds like a boring way to live, making those kinds of assumptions.

I guess I should of added a disclaimer. Not all math teachers are binary thinking and don't appreciate art...but in this case, it sounds we have one. I am just saying that as crazy as one life can sound to someone so can another way of living come off as unfathomable.

My closest cousin is the starving artist. But he is following his passion and his dream, and I think he will eventually achieve something that is really fulfilling for him. It's not for me, but my brain doesn't work like his. To tell him I think that his way of living is wrong and I am appalled by his choices would be ludicrous. I actually admire him and appreciate our differences and the way we look at the world is different.

If we were all physicists, math teachers, and engineers...life would be boring.

I guess I should of added a disclaimer. Not all math teachers are binary thinking and don't appreciate art...but in this case, it sounds we have one. I am just saying that as crazy as one life can sound to someone so can another way of living come off as unfathomable.

My closest cousin is the starving artist. But he is following his passion and his dream, and I think he will eventually achieve something that is really fulfilling for him. It's not for me, but my brain doesn't work like his. To tell him I think that his way of living is wrong and I am appalled by his choices would be ludicrous. I actually admire him and appreciate our differences and the way we look at the world is different.

Sometimes I just adore you so much.

I completely agree and have/have had friends and acquaintances who pursue the arts. I would not have dated someone who chose that path because financial stability was essential to me but nor would I have had an iota of negative judgment for that type of path.

Not boring in my book, just logical and ordered. I know, I know, some people find that boring. That is why there are so many different things in this world to appreciate and love, something for everyone. Still, if I find art nonessential, that is my right. I like artists and the way they think sometimes, I just have no use for their products. I have stacks of unhung art sitting in my apartment that will never reach a wall. It just seems like clutter to me. The only art that ever interested me was the art of a man who made modern art using fractals. Now that was fascinating to me. Different strokes and all that...

I love the arts. I will be honest, I don't enjoy a 5 hour orchestra, or spending 24 hours in a museum, but I do find art very interesting in smaller doses. I love spending 1-2 hours at a museum, I love going to a broadway show or even venturing to a shorter orchestra. I love film, music, reading, writing.

It's interesting to me, because we are defining art/science but I think my biggest strength is actually communications/the verbal side of the brain. I like to take grade school as a good example because I think there we were very much our true selves. At least in my k-12 school, we could really explore anything. My worst subjects were by far art and music. I can't paint/color/draw to save my life. I also have no melody and can't sing a tune. Until about 6th grade, I would say I excelled equally in math, writing, literature and languages. Never really science. At about 8th grade math became more challenging to me and I continued to excel in writing/reading. Part of it is probably that I've never studied at home, and math is a subject that needs practice, whereas literature, writing, languages are more intuitive. I majored in Journalism and then got my masters in finance and economics at the University of Chicago (barely made it through graduation because of my holes in calculus).

I still struggle with Math, but I like it and want to learn it. I'm taking advanced (phD type) math classes and computer science classes at Columbia this year. It's not going to be easy for me as even though I believe I was born with the aptitude for math, I did not use that muscle for a very long time. Still, as a journalist, scored a pretty decent score in the GMAT (92%), pretty up there with the engineers.

Still, I would say I am more of a "language" person. Reading compression, writing, comes just naturally to me. I have to study math. The funny thing is that I'm def. the worst in the arts, when it would seem like writing/reading would be closer to the arts than to the sciences/math. Writing/Languages > Math > Science

I admire artists, and agree that the world would be the most boring place with only mathematicians and engineers.

I've been finding lately a very big affinity with medicine. A little too late as I'm 28. But, I have a serious passion for oncology and psychiatry. I love being in hospitals, I love everything about the med world.

The farther career for me would def. be anything involving arts (painting, music, acting), because I'm simply horrible at it. I am creative though, but with words and ideas, not with actual art.

Oh I hope a 28-year old would never use age as an obstacle to pursuing a medical degree!

I'm trying to convince my 22 year old sister to go into med school, and she gave me the same baloney!! That she should of IMMEDIATELY went after college.

You still have plenty of time justagirl if you want to do it, don't make those older than you that are back in school feel bad

There are lots of people who go to medical school later in life, same with other professions.

Times have changed too. When my relatives went to medical school years ago, there were no restrictions on how much they would make you work when you were a resident. It's not that way now. Laws have been put into place so they can't work you to death. It's very hard work but manageable and doable if you put your mind to it and you are dedicated.

When I was an undergrad, I knew of a lady in her mid-50's who was enrolled at my university's medical school! She had a career as a practicing psychologist but decided she would rather practice medicine instead, and figured if that was how she would spend the last 10 years or so of her career, she would at least have done something she truly felt passionate about.

One of my ex's didn't begin medical school until the age of 45. He has an active practice now, as far as I know.

One of my best friends during my most recent graduate program was someone in his mid-60's. He could blow the kids fresh out of college right out of the water with all his knowledge.

All of these folks really followed their passions and reaped the rewards.

Archived