Weightloss challenge for BIG people!!

Maybe it would help to read through your thread again to get that motivation back.

Also, set small goals for yourself. Meaning day by day. Pick one thing you want to accomplish, diet and exercise, tomorrow and tell yourself that if you are successful, then you can do something you like that you wouldn't normally do. Like stay up an extra half hour to watch a TV show you like. Just don't make it food related.

Remember, each day is a new start and you don't have to give up on the whole thing just because you've had a bad weekend.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it would help to read through your thread again to get that motivation back.

Also, set small goals for yourself. Meaning day by day. Pick one thing you want to accomplish, diet and exercise, tomorrow and tell yourself that if you are successful, then you can do something you like that you wouldn't normally do. Like stay up an extra half hour to watch a TV show you like. Just don't make it food related.

Remember, each day is a new start and you don't have to give up on the whole thing just because you've had a bad weekend.

This is good advice. It's not realistic to cut out all bad foods all the time and eat only celery and cottage cheese, but if you think about how many calories are in ONE can of soda (pop), and then think of how many of those you might have in a day, even cutting out a few a day makes a HUGE difference!

Coke has about 150 calories per can (I'm not sure about Mountain Dew, but I assume it's close to that). If you drink 5 of those per day, that's 750 calories, or more than a third of what your total caloric intake in one day should be. If you cut that down to ONE can per day, you're cutting out 600 calories! And, if you are tempted to have sweets, why not designate one day per week to have something -- ONE piece of cake or one or two cookies, for example -- and enjoy it on that day only, and then remind yourself that you've already had your cake for the week and that you have to wait till next week to have it again. Something that might help, too: If you really want cake, or a cookie, or a brownie, buy a single serving. At most grocery stores, they sell cake by the piece in the bakery section. And, they often sell individual cookies and individual brownies, so you could buy just one per week and have that as a treat. As Annie pointed out, one piece of cake has at least 300 calories (but I'm thinking that's a small piece of cake -- a piece I would eat would probably have twice that! so you may be getting 500-600 calories for each piece, depending on the size of the piece and what kind of cake and frosting it is.

One of the ways I lost weight this time (after yo-yo dietiing for YEARS), was allowing myself one "treat" per week -- not an anything goes pig out day -- but ONE really wonderful treat -- a cookie from Mrs. Fields, an ice cream cone, a burrito from Chipotle, etc. -- something I could really enjoy and savor. Doing this makes these goodies more "special," -- not things you eat every day and take for granted. Now, for me, cake is a special thing, and when I have a piece, I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY enjoy it because I know it's something I won't have every day.

Try, too, to substitute the pop for something else. I know you said you don't like diet soda, but...Coke Zero and Pepsi One both taste VERY much like real cola, and they have either 0 calories or 1 calorie per serving. And, Crystal Light is great, too. I buy the little individual packets that you empty into a bottle of water -- the Raspberry Lemonade is my favorite. I think you could put it in sparkling water. I've never tried it, but I bet it could work. You could also buy sugar free flavored syrups (made by Torani -- Starbucks here uses these in their sugar-free drinks), and make an "Italian Soda" with these. The syrups are sweetened with Splenda, so they taste very "real." Mixed with sparkling water, tonic water, or diet Sprite or diet 7-up, they're great!

For snacks, stick with Annie's suggestion about fresh fruits and veggies, or, for protein, string mozzarella cheese, or cottage cheese with fresh fruit, or a bit of peanut butter spread on some apple slices is good for really healthy protein. And, some companies make "100-calorie packs" of cookies or crackers (even candies) so that you know if you eat one of the little bags you're only getting 100 calories. Since it sounds like sweets are something you gravitate toward (I'm an M&M's junkie, so I totally understand), these little 100-cal packs might be good for you. When you see how many M&M's make 100 calories, though, it's a bit disheartening.

Someone suggested eating a bigger, healthy breakfast and making your other meals smaller, I think, and that's a GREAT idea. For breakfast this a.m., I had egg beaters (sorta imitation eggs, but they do contain real egg) scrambled and a big bowl of fresh pineapple, raspberries, and strawberries with 1/2 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt. I didn't add any grains or bread to that, but a piece of wheat toast or a handful of lowfat granola or some low-sugar (less than 7 grams per serving) cereal would be great, too. Try to have most of your carbs (potatoes, bread, cereals, etc.) for breakfast and lunch and for dinner just have protein and vegetables, if possible.

It sounds like you're really motivated, and I applaud you for the exercise you're doing -- keep it up!!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

No I haven't....I'd like to though...wonder how Crystal Light would taste in sparkling water?? Ever tried it?

Don't use anything carbonated - it fizzes everywhere! It is tasty and fuzzy (for when you crave that fuzzy taste) but the sugar substitute in the Crystal Light reacts with the carbonation and POW! (have you seen the mentos in a coke bottle trick?) I do it from time to time. I usually use one of the singles (lemon lime is my favourite for this) and mix it in a larger container - much larger than the 500 ml I am supposed to be adding. Pop is one of my weaknesses too, so I am always seeking alternatives.

Don't lose the motivation Kayla_Joy! You are doing so well. You are trying and that is the biggest part. I weighed in for the first time in 3 weeks - I've lost 2lbs. Every little bit is a triumph.

Does anyone happen to know whether or not you are actually able to lose weight in one specific spot more than in others? I'm in the 300+ mark but I'm working on losing. I had already lost 60 before but I want the tummy to be gone. I have the legs and the arms and the bum to go too but I want the tummy first.

Unfortunately, no you can't. You can do exercises that will work out specific muscles, but as far as making the fat go away, there's no control over that. That's why it's so important to do a mixture of cardio and weight lifting. You need to burn calories to burn the fat, but lifting weights will help with that too. Muscle burns more calories during resting periods than fat does, so the more you have of it, the more calories you'll burn throughout the day.

Does anyone happen to know whether or not you are actually able to lose weight in one specific spot more than in others? I'm in the 300+ mark but I'm working on losing. I had already lost 60 before but I want the tummy to be gone. I have the legs and the arms and the bum to go too but I want the tummy first.

it's pretty genetic. i lose my tummy last too. sigh.

kayla - you should start journaling what you are eating. that helps me a lot. there was some study released that people who wrote down what they ate lost twice as much as people who didn't.

Wow!!! Lots of great advice here folks!! Thanks so much!!

Well, I weighed in this morning, and the first time I got on the scales I weighed 326.0, with my undies and nightgown on...hmmmm....I usually weigh with no clothes on, so I stripped down to my birthday suit and got on the scales and this time it said 323.0. Again, hmmmmm....that's a pretty big difference, does my nightgown really weigh 3 lbs?? So I got on it again, and it weighed the same thing again, 323.0....

Ok...that's a keeper, I'll take it. I think that puts me down 2.8 lbs this week. I have made conscious decisions to choose the right things, but I also have made unwise choices (ie my pop battle)....still, I've been drinking more water, less sweets. Still very very tired...am thinking a trip to the doctor may be in order if something doesn't change soon. I keep thinking the more I lose, the more energy I will have.

Anyway, better news today for me. Good luck to youn's who also are trying....I'm reading, I may not be responding due to my own lack of self motivation, but I am reading...and I am still trying!!

great job kayla!!!! you are inching so close to 10 lbs lost! yeah, crazy how much clothes can weigh. please, do go to the doctor if you continue feeling unwell. are you getting enough sleep?

something we say at weight watchers, 'this plan does not require perfection, it requires persistence.' it's ok if you don't have a soda-free week and didn't eat carrots all the time or whatever. just keep at it. keep striving for the best you can and hang in there. if you totally deprive yourself of your favorite foods, if you never give yourself a treat once in a while, you won't stick with it. it's ok to have a treat, but like the others suggested, instead of 2 slices of cake, try just 1/2 slice and a ton of fruit salad.

you are doing great, keep it up!

great job kayla!!!! you are inching so close to 10 lbs lost! yeah, crazy how much clothes can weigh. please, do go to the doctor if you continue feeling unwell. are you getting enough sleep?

something we say at weight watchers, 'this plan does not require perfection, it requires persistence.' it's ok if you don't have a soda-free week and didn't eat carrots all the time or whatever. just keep at it. keep striving for the best you can and hang in there. if you totally deprive yourself of your favorite foods, if you never give yourself a treat once in a while, you won't stick with it. it's ok to have a treat, but like the others suggested, instead of 2 slices of cake, try just 1/2 slice and a ton of fruit salad.

you are doing great, keep it up!

Congrats! And that's a great quote annie. It took me several years to figure it out. I would always bail out after I had been bad figuring I had lost all hopes of losing weight haha and eat a lot and badly all week afterwards.

I am just following that advice right now and lost 1lb this week. I have obviously less to lose but it's also about adopting a healthier attitude.

Kayla, shoulda told me....i just stumbled upon your thread today...what a bummer i could have been losing weight with you this WHOLE time!

I went on south beach diet but i couldn't lose. I don't know why. My granny did it at the same time and she lost like 20lbs the first week and there I was...with 3...bummer!!!

so, any advice from yall what to do? I love working out...just can't afford a gym membership...

Kayla, shoulda told me....i just stumbled upon your thread today...what a bummer i could have been losing weight with you this WHOLE time!

I went on south beach diet but i couldn't lose. I don't know why. My granny did it at the same time and she lost like 20lbs the first week and there I was...with 3...bummer!!!

so, any advice from yall what to do? I love working out...just can't afford a gym membership...

i think low-carb diets are kind of crazy. i think any diet that restricts a food group is just so much harder to do, which is why i love weight watchers, nothing is off limits. if i want a cheeseburger, i can have a cheeseburger, i just have to work it into my weekly eating plan, maybe do an extra workout, or have a lighter lunch.

if you can't afford a gym membership - walk! run. check out work out DVDs from the library. i used to use soup cans instead of weights, until i found some weights on sale. do you have netflix? you can check out fitness DVDs also.

link removed to track your diet/eating habits. this wil keep you super honest with yourself and is pretty paramount to seeing what youre doing wrong and how youre really progressing. also to keep you motivated you can make your journal public (lets you be accountable , you can link it to this thread if you want sometimes, etc). i know youre busy and stuff, but honestly ifyou want this enough (which it seems like you do) and you made time to make yourself walk everyday, a few seconds after each thing you eat to jot it down and then a few minutes at the end of the day to update the log wont be so hard to fit into your schedule. a few others have mentioned this before too so i wanted to give you the website i use to keep track of my journal now because its very organized and works well too and its free. if you wanna know about the pc version you can pm me ;-)

about the soft drinks, try to buy 1 case of 12 cans or 12 bottles per week. this keeps your limit to 1-2 per day. if you have left overs you can be extra proud, and next week go buy whatever you need to start over at 12 again. when you consistenly have for example 2-3 leftover each week, start buying only 9 per week. of course buy lots of water this whole time too =)

also make sure youre eating enough to maintain yourself , here are some calculators i've found to be useful for myself:

link removed

link removed

and in fitday it will also tell you how many calories you need to keep your body working. i sort of use all three sources and then try to estimate a close average between them (there are different ways to calculate this stuff so thats why it will be a little different).

sometimes if you dont eat enough your body will try to hang on to the fat because it 'needs' it since it sees that youre not giving it food, and it will be harder to lose weight so make sure youre eating enough. i cant really explain all the details without writing a lot but you can google some info =)

good luck !

and i dont want to bring this off topic or anything but about marijuana mentioned in the first couple of pages. i've heard that marijuana/weed increases your appetite in the short term. increased appetite probably leads to cravings and then eating more than you wanted/planned to and things that you know arent too healthy. so i think its most likely detrimental to a diet and not neutral or beneficial just because it doesnt have as many calories as other things.

Here goes my weight loss story....

Although i am not heavily overweight, i have a lot of fat in my belly and thighs and my body is not as fit as i would want it to be. my body fat percentage is 33% and i want it to get to a healthy range of 5-7 %. My current weight is 119 lbs.

offlate i have been doing a lot of research on the internet about weight loss and excerises etx. Based on all that I have decided on a 120 day plan for myself...and i will keep updating the progress in this tread.

Here goes my plan:

1. Drinking 6 litres of water each day.

link removed soda drinks, pops etc. for 120 days

3. 45 minutes of swimming per day, for 5 days a week.

4. No sweet/chocolates/chips/popcorn for 120 days.

5. Dishes made of rice only once a week.

6. complete fast on sundays.

7. Eating only fruits throughout the day every wednesday.

8. Eat in small quantities through out the day instead of 3-4 heavy meals.

9. 25 mins on treadmill per day 5 times a week.

10. Include lot of veggies and fruits in my diet.

Wish me good luck.

Take out number 5, 6 and 7 for sure. Eating only one thing or eliminating anything from your diet isn't good for you. Also, ease into the exercise. It's not good to go from nothing to that much all at once. Make sure you eat lean protein with your meals, otherwise you'll never get full.

How tall are you? I don't understand how you are only 119 pounds but have 33% body fat. Also, 5-7% is NOT a healthy range unless you are a body builder. Shoot to get under 20% and you'll be in the low range.

yeah i agree with daligal and im glad she brought it up. 5-7% is not a healthy range, that is body builder range for MALES for females its probably a little bit higher than that too.

i believe around 20% is average for a normal female (assuming you just wanna look hot but not be a body builder).

also bella, 120 days from now includes thanksgiving, just thought id warn you lol.

hi guys....sorry I've been out of the loop for a few days. To play catchup, let's see....I weighed in Wed. am at 323.4, I gained .4 lb. Not a good week really. I've been in a funk for a few days, am trying to work my weigh (no pun intended!) out of it. I haven't even been on ENA at all for a few days, so I've completely missed out. I am gonna try link removed for journaling, that sounds great. I finally took the initiative just this morning to start writing down what I eat. I don't think I eat all that much, and yet I consistently stay the same or gain, and my doctor told me that I must be consuming a large amount to maintain the weight I'm at, so I need to break it down. You'd think at 323 lb it wouldn't be hard to lose, but I can't hardly do it, so something's gotta give. I haven't walked in a while, it's been hot, and I've been busy. Least that's the best excuse I can come up with.

Lots of good suggestions on here since I've been gone. Welcome to all the newbies! We need all the encouragement we can get!!

I bought celery, so I can start snacking on some veggies instead of chips. Got lots of bottled water, although I'm STILL fighting the pop battle. I just love my Mountain Dew, and it's awful.

Plus, emotionally I've been going thru some stuff to do with Mark, and I'm just trying to find my footing. I'm gonna make it though.

Hey Kayla.....

I know how hard it is to lose weight, I'm fighting the great battle myself. I know you have been trying to do some walking. I just wanted to recommend a book to you that I just started reading.

The Spirited Walker; by Carolyn Scott Kortge.

Fitness walking for clarity, balance, and spiritual connection.

Great book. The author shows you how to see walking as a fun and pleasurable thing to do as opposed to viewing it as exercise and boring.

Good luck with your journey.

hang in there kayla. and yes, eat those veggies. keep them in the middle of the shelf in your fridge, just don't slather them in ranch or cheese. find some lighter dressings and portion it out.

it is hard, i know, especially when going through emotional stuff. the thing i try to keep in mind is that a donut or bagel or whatever isn't going to cure my emotional problems. the food may make me feel better for 10 minutes, but then my problem is there again. try to focus on the root of your problem, or at least take a walk, or do some stretches. did you check out any at-home DVDs you can do as a workout? they're good when it's too hot out.

how about trying some diet soda? you'll get used to it. or some sparkling water with some lime or lemon squeezed in?

hang in there!!! don't worry about the +0.4. i gained 2 lbs last week, then lost 2.4 the next week, so sometimes it's just water weight or time of the month. it will come off.

Archived