Weightloss challenge for BIG people!!

hey kayla - i was re-looking at the Weight Watchers Kick Start pamphlet with tips to rev up weight loss. they have a really good shopping list, things to stock your kitchen with. I buy these things in bulk (especially the freezer stuff and the canned foods) whenever i see them on sale.

For your Pantry:

whole grain breakfast cereals

light whole grain breads

whole grain foods such as whole wheat pasta and couscous, brown rice, quinoa, bulgur, etc... or regular pasta and rice

canned tuna

canned salmon

canned beans such as cennelli, garbanzo or black

canned refried beans

canned fruit in its own juice

salsa

canned or jarred tomato sauce

reduced fat pasta sauce

broth

flavored vinegars

ketchup

mustard

healthy oils such as canola or oilve

dried herbs such as basil

spices such as cinnamon

sugar substitute

94% fat free microwave popcorn or air-popped type

cooking spray

For your freezer

vegetables such as green beans, brocolli, vegetable blends

chopped onion

sliced bell peppers

whole wheat waffles

berries

fish fillets

ground lean beef, turkey or chicken

sorbet or low-fat ice cream

veggie burgers

For your refrigerator

fat free or low fat milk

fat free or low fat yogurt

fat free or low fat cheese

fat free or low fat mayo

fat free or low fat spreads such as cream cheese

eggs or egg substitute

minced garlic

fat free or low fat deli meats

lettuce

vegetables such as baby carrots, grape tomatos or celery sticks for snacking

seltzer or calorie free waters

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, and to keep taking over your thread, lol, here is my favorite soup recipe. it's super low in calories, 0 points, it really helps me with weight loss and fills you up. :

The Weight Watchers 0 point garden vegetable soup

makes 4 1-cup servings

2/3 cup sliced carrot

1/2 cup diced onion

2 garlic cloves minced

3 cups fat free broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)

1 1/2 cup diced green cabbage

1/2 cup green beans

1 tbsp tomato paste

1/2 tsp dried basil

1/4 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup diced zucchini

Spray a large suacepan with nonstick cooking spray. heat. saute the carrot, onion and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt. bring to a boil. reduce heat, simmer covered for 15 minutes or until beans are tender. stir in the zucchini and heat for 3-4 minutes. served hot.

This is a miracle soup, by the way! i swear, every week i make and eat this soup, i lose weight.

oh, it's diced zucchini! yes, fresh. i ran out of zucchini, so i just used extra green beans last night.

kayla, do you have a slow cooker or geroge foreman grill? both help me eat healthy. i just used my george foreman grill and put some 'rotisserie poultry rub' on a chicken breast and grilled it up that way. the spice blend was really good, and the meat came out so juicy! mmm. and the GF grill helps drain away the fat.

it's ok kayla. i'd make sure to be really strict when journaling so you can get to the bottom of this. first off record all the BLTs (bites, licks, tastes). like if you have a bite of cookie or cake, or lick the spoon a few times when baking, make sure to include that. little calories here and there can add up. and are you measuring serving sizes? actually measure out half a cup of pasta, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, etc.... don't just eye-ball it.

another thing fitday has their own database of foods which is easy cause you probably dont know exact calories and carbs, etc of thigns you eat. but for the stuff that you can write down from the wrappers and boxes, write them down and manually enter them into fitday to keep it more accurate when you can.

dont be frustrated , it takes time to do this right and you will get it eventually.

i would try to switch to only water or something low calorie immediately (i drink mostly water and powerade), soft drinks are a total KILLER when it comes to trying to lose weight. i know its hard to quit cold like that but just try it. there is also drinks that are like protein drinks (called K2 or something) that will fend off some hunger if you drink it and its very low calorie.

one thing you can also get if you've got a little bit of money is this bodybugg thing, my mom got one at 24hr fitness and i believe it costs 150-200 by itself (i dont know how much she paid, i think it came with personal training). basicaly you wear it on your arm and it counts the calories you lose daily from like 4 am to midnight or something.

then you just get online to their website and upload the info real quick. this way you can compare the calories you've been eating vs the calories you've been burning. if youre not burning a big portion of what youre eating then thats probably one reason why youre not losing weight.

link removed you can go there and click on the little bodybugg - see how it works video if youre interested.

it also comes with a food tracker but it is not as accurate or easy to use as fitday. i would just use it for counting calories burned.

something i was thinking about this morning (but didn't have time to post....) was Kayla, how many meals do you make at home, and how many do you eat out in restaurants? if you go to places like McD's or burger king, you can get all the nutritional information online. you can plan in advance and come up with meals you know are 'safe.' on the other hand, places like a mom and pop diner can be disasters! restaurants sneak butter and oil into places you'd never think!!! that's a lot of extra calories that you don't even know you are consuming. if you get a steak, ask that they not put butter on it. i swear, restauants hide it everywhere. that's something to watch out for.

and sometimes, the seemingly 'healthy choices' are anything but. for example, i like to get a light dinner before dance class, and my dance studio is right by an arby's. you'd think a salad is a better choice than a burger/sandwhich, but the Arby's melt has 303 calories, 12 g fat, and 1 g of fiber, while the chicken club salad with ranch dressing has 749 calories, 55 g fat, and 3 g fiber. the dressing alone is 304 calories!!! whenever possible, try to get the light dressing, and only use half of it. stay away from the croutons and cheese.

i usually just get an arby's melt and a diet soda, no fries. i don't want to dance on a full stomach either.

and CHIPOTLE!!!!! a loaded burrito has the same number of calories as 3 big macs!!!!! insane, huh? and chipotle sells themselves as a 'healthy' place. the more meals i make at home, the better my weight loss seems to be, as i can really control what i am putting in my body.

my eating journal today was a disaster! I gave up counting after 1600 cal, went to a friends house and over ate way too much! But it's helped me to see that what I think of as not too bad a day, really is eating far too many calories! And I know the pop thing has a lot to do with it. Mountain Dews are 170 cal per can, and I had 3 today. yikes!

it's ok, don't stop writing it down, especially not when you overindulged. be honest with yourself. and i agree, cut way back on the mountain dew. drinking your calories doesn't make you as full. plus, if you write things down, you can figure out what your patterns are, and figure out a way to work on it. for example, i do pretty well with my eating, until about 6 PM, and then i get worse. knowing that i am good im the mornings, but not in the evenings, i can try to plan out more sensible dinners and snacks.

do you think this is a caffiene addiction you might have? what about having some black coffee or tea instead? i highly recommend trying to cut back on the MD. 500 calories of sandwhich will fill you up a lot more than 500 calories of soda.

thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind!

I was hoping other people would join the bandwagon but if not, I'm going to be a one man support thread!! heehee!!

hey there,

Got room for one more on the band wagon, please add the super heavy springs. i am 5'8" 280 lbs. Doctor has razzed me about being morbidly obese, need to drop to 190. So what are the rules. Post food and weight ins or what . Count me in. By getting rid of the ex i have already lost 188 lbs. That was mean.

I am so in, Thanks for starting this

Dave

hey there,

Got room for one more on the band wagon, please add the super heavy springs. i am 5'8" 280 lbs. Doctor has razzed me about being morbidly obese, need to drop to 190. So what are the rules. Post food and weight ins or what . Count me in. By getting rid of the ex i have already lost 188 lbs. That was mean.

I am so in, Thanks for starting this

Dave

Hey Dave,

No rules, I just "weigh in" weekly, talk about good days/bad days, I've gotten lots of wonderful tips/advice on here, lots of support...! I just started keeping a food journal (FINALLY Annie!!) on link removed...

welcome to the madness!

today not a bad day, the food journal helps, keeps me mentally thinking about what I'm eating. I'm not one for self denial, so I still indulge when I want to, which is not good. ran out of mt dews today, gonna try to go the weekend without them...I am SO addicted to my Dews!

I think I'll have a good weigh in next week, and I'm excited about that!

I had a REALLY bad food day yesterday! I didn't think I ate that much at the time, but I know that I ate way too much actually! I had a piece of leftover pizza and a glass of milk for breakfast, we were working around the house and I didn't have much time for anything else.

For lunch, we went to Texas Roadhouse, and I ate 3 rolls w/butter, a house salad w/blue cheese drsg, about 1/2 a baked potato w/butter & sourcream, and Roadkill - which is chopped steak w/mushrooms, onions and jack cheese.

And I drowned it all down with 5 glasses of sweet iced tea!

When they rolled me out of there yesterday I was miserable. And I continued to be miserable the entire day. Finally at 10:30pm last night, I self induced vomiting because my stomach hurt so bad I couldn't even lay down to go to sleep, I was sitting up in a recliner. So I threw up, and took a couple of Tums, and eventually my stomach settled down enough to where I could lay down and go to sleep.

I am embarrassed actually - what an idiot - who is the heck does that? - eats so much that they get physically ill? It didn't seem like that much food at the time, but afterwards I knew I had overdone it terribly. And the 5 glasses of sweet iced tea didn't help anything.

Anyway, after yesterday's gastronomical nightmare, you can be sure I am going to tread very lightly today. I've had 1 c. of fruit flavored Cheerios w/ 1 c. milk and that's going to be it until lunch time.

I think yesterday kinda taught me a lesson actually - I was embarrassed and ashamed that I ate so much that I was physically sick and had to throw up to feel better. That's when ya know you have a food problem!

hey kayla - it's ok, i've been there too, many many times!!! it's your body's way of saying, 'hey - i don't need that much food!' you could have eaten half of what you did and still been satisfied. just remember that next time you feel like binging. remember how awful you felt. if you had split the steak with your friend, and had the salad, you would have felt a lot better. i'd say, eat more slowly, and not so much, you'll still feel satisfied and not awful afterwards.

are you still keeping the food journal? try aiming for 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. chili is a food i love. it has a ton of fiber, it keeps you satisfied, and is very nutrious. (just don't slather it with cheese).

Try going without the Dews for awhile.

I was a real Pepsi-addict, and would drink about a liter a day. Most other drinks weren`t sweet enough for my liking, and the diet stuff tasted gross to me. I made the sacrifice and didn`t buy or drink any for a month and drank water (both plain and flavored with crystals).

Lost a LOT of weight, but the added benefit was.... I don`t like it anymore. Its TOO sweet! That spilled over into other things - I want less sugar in everything now. Now, I enjoy a diet coke and that tastes great to me.

So go cold turkey for a bit and you might find you don`t need it anymore.

Good morning all. Weighed in yesterday am, 325.6, up 2.4 lbs. That's what I get for stuffing myself to insanity. I ate out most every meal last week I think - I see the fruits of my labor now...UGHH!!

Still working on the pop battle...somedays I do better than others...

still journaling most of the time...I see in black and white what I eat which is good because it makes me realize. Also, haven't been walking lately, need to get back into that asap.

on the plus side, at least you see the trend. eat out every night, scale goes up. go on walks, eat meals at home, journal, scale goes down. it's ok, i bet that 2.4 will come off if you are on plan next week.

they say it takes 21 days to break a habit. just try for 3 weeks straight some other kinds of beverages, and maybe you will wind up liking those better?

Archived