Weightloss challenge for BIG people!!

hey kayla - how's it going? have you been checking in on the joy fit club? every week they have a new person who lost 100+ lbs. I know i gave you the story before about veola.

link removed

i read it every week, it is so inspirational! this is a slideshow of all the members of the club so far... maybe you can be one of them one day too?

do you have any mini-goals? like lose 10 lbs, treat yourself to a manicure or a magazine subscription? i think that little 'rewards' like that are helpful. when I get to 145, i'm going to get cable TV again, right now i don't have cable.

hugs

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS - another idea is when you are watching TV next time, and it's an hour long show, do some sit ups, or push ups or jumping jacks during the commercials. or even some leg raises, or just walk in place. The typical hour long episode of a show usually has 17 minutes of commercial breaks, so if you just get up and do something duing the commercial break, you've done 17 minutes of exercise by the end of the hour, and with minimal effort.

Hello! Good luck with your challenge, I know weight loss is not an easy one. I'm a tad overweight, so I've been watching my intake to make sure it doesn't get to be too much. I didn't read through everything here, but I tried to read some of the posts. Excuse me if I accidently repeat a tip.

Something that I personally found helpful is having my portions already layed out. I'm a vegetarian who is not too fond of fruits- as snacks (my parents call me a carbasarous. So I find myself grabbing the bag of chips mom bought for a party this weekend, planting myself on the couch, and eating as much as I could before someone stoped me. So, I came up with something to help me with portions while I sat and watched TV. To start I went through and looked for some things that I could eat which had some nutrional value. I found popcorn- without the butter, the butter is an oil which is not good for you- and cereal. I had my mother buy some of the '100 Calorie' popcorn bags so my portion was already made for my snack. Then, for the cereal, I went through and bagged the normal dry serving. Also, try to stay away from sugary cereals- it really can help.

Another thing I've learned- a nutritonist told me this when I went to pick up vitamins- is that you should eat a fruit with every meal. The fruit helps ease digestion- which I believe is good for weightloss (if I am wrong, I'm sorry. It's pretty late here...)

Fiber. Fiber, fiber, fiber. I eat the Fiber One bars, but I also take the Fiber Choice chewable tablets. It is said by some that fiber can help control your weight by letting you feel full longer. This is where most people slip- most people only get about half of their recomended intake.

I saw that you are trying to lay off the soda~ that's good. I used to love meat- and now I'm a vegetarian. It may be hard for you to quit soda, but think about your goal. You'll be healthier and it'll help you in the long run. Come up with something motivational to just stop drinking the soda. If you quit the soda, you might get some of your energy back. People have dropped fifteen pounds from not drinking soda like they used to- why not give it a try? Of course, they still exercised.

I noticed that some days you aren't walking- some you are. My sister is going for track, so she's going to try to start walking everyday. I noticed it's just not that easy if you don't enjoy it- I don't go at all because I don't find the plain old enjoyment of 'walking' to the lake and back (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's terribel and no one should do it, walking is a good source of exercise. I'm just saying I don't like to do it). Well, maybe you could find another exercise to help you? I like annie24's idea, I do that once in a while. I even try to do crunches while watching TV. Okay, I'm getting off my main thought. Back on topic; maybe you could try to find something else to do for exercise. I'm starting to work out more, in fact I take karate and I'm going on a soccer team this fall. My Dad just put a basketball hoop up outside for me to play that with my sister, and he's going to put a gym in our basement. Perhaps, if you don't like walking out in public- that's basically one of my big things; I'm a nervous nelly and I'm afraid that I'm going to get hit by a car- maybe get a treadmill (try Craigslist; I hear people want to get rid of them because they buy them and don't use them. That's how we might get ours) to put by your TV. Then whenever you watch TV you can walk- that's what I love about a treadmill, you can walk in the safety of your own home.

Another word of advice; stress is not good. I'm always stressed and always nervous, it's just not good. Stress helps put on the weight, and it's not healthy. I know when I'm stressed, I eat, and when I eat, I get stressed. It's very unhealthy and I'm trying to break my habit. I'm trying to find a way to get rid of my stress, or it may be the end of me.

That's all I have for now. Good luck and I didn't just repeat everything everyone else said... I'm sure you can meet your goal!

Thanks for all the good advice guys! I've had a really bad week....worked a lot of extra hours, ate a lot on the run, drank too much pop...sometimes it feels hopeless, although I know it's not....

I did try the Crystal Light w/ sparkling water....YUCK!!! I tried the lemonade and I don't know if it was the combination or what, but it was gross!

DOn't even want to weigh in tomorrow, I know it's a gain....just so sick of all this....

hey kayla - gotta face the scale sometimes. just keep trying different light drinks, i'm sure you'll find one you like. and water is always good.

hey - i was just about to post on here too. i need to 'restart' this week also. i am up 3.4 lbs myself, due to a vacation. i'm doing the SHAPE "meltdown" diet this week. it's basically a 7-day meal plan with really yummy meal ideas. the foods are all low -GI foods (glycemic index). basically, they're foods without a lot of simple sugars, low in fat, high in fiber. it keeps you full for a really long time. they come out to about 1600 calories a day. i did it before and lost a lot that week, so i'm doing it again, just got back from the grocery store.

link removed

here is the tuesday diet. i like plans like these because you go and buy all the stuff, and there's no worry about what to eat. why don't you try it this week? go load up on these healthy items, and follow the meal plan and see how you feel! since you are over 250 lbs, maybe add in another 1-2 healthy snacks, like a piece of fruit or yogurt.

Thanks for all the good advice guys! I've had a really bad week....worked a lot of extra hours, ate a lot on the run....

maybe you can tell us more tomorrow about what happened. like we say at weight watchers.... gotta plan, gotta prepare.

for example, if you need to get fast food, go to subway and get a 6 inch sub from their 'healthy' menu (ie, not the tuna or meatball sandwhich, or anything slathered in cheese). get the turkey sandwhich with all the veggies, no cheese, light mayo or mustard. if you have to go to mcdonald's, get a salad with grilled chicken and light dressing. or just have one hamburger (not quarter pounder or big mac) and have a side salad. I think you said you were a weight watchers member before, so if you ever bought the 'dining out companion', you know that they have a list of suggested food choices at all sorts of restaurants.

do you have a fridge at work? stock it up with healthy items so you aren't as tempted to order in greasy chinese food or pizza if you have a late night at the office. in our kitchen at work, i keep some light soups, fiber 1 bars, fruit, yogurt. so if i have to work late, i can have some soup and a fruit to hold me over. it might also be good to keep some fiber 1 bars or something else non-perishable in your car so that if the munchies hit, you go for that instead of a drive through.

i'm a stress eater too, so i know what it's like to have a ton of work to do, and have a craving to reach for food. but, that habit can be broken!

Thanks Annie...I looked at this, looks interesting, I'll gander at it more later when I can.

Looks like my pop vendetta is going to take care of itself! I have a TERRIBLE skin yeast infection underneath my belly and ended up at the Immediate Care yesterday because of it. Two prescriptions later, I've been told to lay off the sugary pop, which is contributing to the yeast growth.

So. Hmmmph. There ya have it.

oh no!!!!!! kayla, i'm sorry you got sick, and i hope the infection clears up very soon! yup, there you go, that's your body's way of saying 'too much sugar!' i'd look into that diet plan i gave you, it's low glycemic index, so it's pretty low in sugar. did they suggest some kind of meal plan for you, or make any suggestions of other foods to eat or avoid?

no, I was just told to back off the sugar. It's better already, thanks to the antifungal cream they gave me, also antibiotics. It was embarrassing, because the whole issue of course is that I'm so fat that my belly lops over, and my skin gets irritated underneath.

Sigh. Not a happy day today.

no, not really a happy day, but maybe this is the motivation you really need to get into shape. obviously, it's not just an aesthetic issue anymore, about 'looking good on the beach' or whatever to lose weight, but now that it's impacting your health....

i realized i had to change my way of eating after i started getting stomach aches and stomach pains, especially after KFC. i realized it was my body's way of saying, 'no more - you have to eat healthy!'

Hey everyone.

I want to join in! I think this is an amazing idea and is sure to keep you motivated.

I'm currently 167lbs. I want to lose AT LEAST 1 stone/14lbs. Preferably I wanna get down to 150lbs (around a UK size 12). No more. No less. I don't want to be skinny. I want to be healthy but still have a bit of meat on me.

I'm in the "overweight" zone and I really hate it. Since starting my new job the weight has been falling off me and I'm really happy about that. I just want to maintain this weight loss until I reach my goal.

Hey welcome, Xroh! Welcome to the madness! As I told the nurse the other day as she was examining my ailing belly, my weight is the bane of my existence. It's the source of most of what ails me physically, and much of what ails me emotionally. I fight this battle everyday, and lose quite frequently (today was horrendous - but I won't get into that), but you will find lots of wonderful support and help and tips from people on this thread.

So good luck!!

Hey welcome, Xroh! Welcome to the madness! As I told the nurse the other day as she was examining my ailing belly, my weight is the bane of my existence. It's the source of most of what ails me physically, and much of what ails me emotionally. I fight this battle everyday, and lose quite frequently (today was horrendous - but I won't get into that), but you will find lots of wonderful support and help and tips from people on this thread.

So good luck!!

hey kayla - maybe it would be good to talk about it so we can figure out what your weaknesses are so we can work a way around them? have you thought about rejoining weight watchers? they do have a good support system. i find the discussions helpful and they reinforce positive ideas.

for example, when i am tempted to eat bad foods, i look at the bigger picture or goals. for example, i may keep out a pair of jeans on a chair that i want to fit into one day. everytime i walk by it, i'm reminded of my goal. i know some people do something similar, by taping a photo of themselves when they were skinny to the refrigerator. or someone else saving up for their dream home may tape a picture of their dream home to their credit card to remind them not to spend foolishly.

also, figure out if you are eating emotionally, instead of eating when you are hungry. or are you eating when you are bored? you have to consciously figure out what's going on, and try to change those behaviors. like if you eat when you are upset, you have to stop yourself, remind yourself that you aren't hungry, and deal with the emotions, by writing in a journal, by talking to a friend, taking a walk, etc.....

Hello, I think I need to join this thread too. I started out weighing 185 at 5' 10" when I joined a gym. I've been weightlifting for 30 minutes and cardio for 35 minutes every other day. I got down to 179.6 on July 24, but since then it's been bouncing all over the place, I've been trying to get down to 165, and I'd hate to think that I've plateaued already.

image removed

I've also been having a derned time figuring out my body fat percentage. The electrolysis machine said 26% a month ago, but the tape measurement test I took today link removed said 16%. And I doubt I lost 10% body fat in a month, so one of them must be horribly inaccurate. Maybe it's because I can't figure out how to measure my waist and hips, all the guides I can find were designed for skinny women, not potbellied men, lol.

Also, I've been trying to gain muscle, too. My core and legs seem to be advancing in weightlifting capacity, but my arms not so much. I can only hope that the reason I'm not losing weight is that I'm growing muscle to replace all the fat, but looking in the mirror, I doubt it

well, i wouldn't weigh yourself daily. stick to weekly weighing, same time, same clothes. there are a lot of daily fluctuations in your weight depending on what you've eaten, drank, etc.... high salt meals can retain a lot of water, etc....

to measure your waist and hips, do you have a tape measurer? use that!

it's good that you are working out - but how much are you eating? if you are eating a ton, then all the exercise isn't going to help you. you should keep a food diary like at link removed and track your calories.

Welcome Dablade and good luck! Lots of good folks on here, lots of support!!

Annie - you are such a jewel...thank you for being so supportive. I don't know exactly what my problem is, but I know that I have one. I have eaten the last few days like there is a food shortage and any day we'll run out. I've had zero control, and what's worse, is while deep down I care and know I will regret it next week on the scales, the outer core of me doesn't care. It's self destructive at this point. I can't afford Weight Watchers, I've been living off of $5 pizzas and cokes, and peanuts and $0.90 donuts from the local bakery, as if none of it matters. I don't know if this is a sign of an addict, or what, but my eating is way out of control at this point, and I know it, but can't seem to stop myself.

oh kayla - i just want to give you a big hug right now!!!! you seem really hurt. can you talk to a therapist or a priest or someone about the issues. at some point, you just have to love yourself enough to say, 'no more.' try to figure out why you are eating like there is no tomorrow. do you feel like other parts of your life are out of control and food is the one thing you can do? maybe you are trying to 'self-medicate' with food. but honestly, you are just going to kill yourself on this path. a stroke, a heart attack, this is not a good path. things have to change.

today in weight watchers, one lady mentioned how she saw her old friend from high school and couldn't recognize her. she is now in a wheelchair, extremely large lady, can't walk because both her knees are busted. but, she can't exercise to lose weight because she can't walk. the woman in weight watchers says she never wants to be like this lady. understandably. it sounds lik no way to live.

you can still walk, you can still take control. weight watchers is $40 a month, but if that is still too much for you, then just try to track on fitday or some other site. i know that eating healthy can be more costly than junk food, but if you are careful, it doesn't have to be that much more expensive. besides, you will save in healthcare costs. and you will feel better.

how can we help you? maybe come up with some sample meal plans that can be made with healthy and cheap ingredients? i try to stock up when i see sales of my staples, like frozen vegetables, frozen chicken breasts, cans of vegetables or light soups. those are good things to stock up on when they go on sale.

kayla - i know you can do this. and i know when you commit, you're going to be like a speeding train no one can stop.

hugs

I am so joining this thread!! Trying to lose weight...AGAIN! I currently weigh 210 lbs (hopefully...lol) fitting into a size 18 bottom and 14/16 top, and I seem to fluctuate between 205 and 220. 220 being the heaviest weight I've carried. I have been able to take off the 10 pounds and keep them off, but I seem to struggle with the 205-210 range.

I would eventually like to get down to around 160-ish. I was blessed with having my weight being spread out proportionally, so I don't appear as heavy as I really am. I want to keep my basic shape, but just a much smaller version of it.

I've tried so many diets and exercise regimes and the lowest I ever got down to was 195, so this is a real struggle for me. I am dedicating the next year to getting the bulk of the weight off...It's just so hard to stay on track even with having all the knowledge I need to get the weight off and keep it off.

Kayla,

As far as your eating habits...I highly recommend portion control. Instead of spending $5 on pizza and cokes....Invest in buying some Lean Cuisine (they have a great pizza selection) and Weight Watcher meals for a cheaper price. If you have a Target store in your area then try it out....they have sales often and sell both brands at the cheapest prices I've seen.

Buy some Crystal Light packs....You have the option of savoring a sweet drink with only 5 calories to come from it.

You really need to be cautious of all that soda though. You're killing your kidneys and you'll find yourself on a dialysis machine if you don't curb that habit. I know it's hard, but start getting used to drinking water. Start with one bottled water a day and then add another bottle as each week progresses.

Hey Kayla --

I've been following your thread -- and rooting for you -- and I can see how you're struggling. I know from some of your other posts on different parts of ENA that you're struggling with some other issues -- emotional ones (dealing with your ex/friend) -- and it is clear that your eating habits are linked at least in part to other things you're going through. I am, and always have been, an "emotional eater." Ever since I was a kid, when I was stressed, sad, scared, lonely, whatever, I would overeat, and it carried over into adulthood. While I've never been considered clinically obese, I have always been at least somewhat overweight, and only in recent years have I really gotten a handle on my emotional eating, and not only have I lost a significant amount of weight, but I also actually really enjoy my food now and don't feel any guilt or shame connected to eating, as I always did before.

I know you say you can't afford Weight Watchers, which is understandable. There are several low cost or free things you CAN do, though. A big suggestion I have for you would be to look into Overeaters Anonymous; it's free, it's supportive, and it's geared toward exactly what you're facing -- food addiction, compulsion to overeat due to emotional stuff, etc. There's bound to be meetings somewhere in your area. As you stated in your last post, what you're dealing with IS an addiction, one that shares many characteristics with alcoholism and drug abuse, and OA is geared toward addressing these issues. You might also be able to find some online support groups as well, but it would be better if you could actually join a group where you can see the people on a regular basis and form connections with others dealing with the same thiings you are.

Another suggestion: Make an appointment with your doctor and tell her that you need help with this -- that you've tried doing it on your own, and you're struggling. He/she may be able to refer you to some lower cost or free services -- seminars, support groups, etc. or at least hook you up with someone -- maybe a counselor, or even a nutrition specialist, who can help you.

In terms of what YOU can do on your own: Exercise. I know you were walking awhile back, and that's great. Even if you can't walk far, even if it's just around the block, DO IT. Do it every day. Start out with 10 minutes. Do that for a few days. Then go to 15, then 20, then 30. It may take awhile to build up to 45 minutes or an hour, but it'll happen eventually if you keep at it. Tell yourself that it is the ONE thing you're going to really do for yourself everyday -- something just for YOU and no one else.

About the food: I know you're limited as to how much you can spend, but...and I don't mean this to sound harsh, so please don't take it the wrong way...you can get a lot of healthy foods for what you're paying for pizzas, cokes, peanuts, etc. Junky foods aren't really all that more affordable than healthy ones. Fresh meats are expensive, granted, but fresh fruits and vegetables aren't that expensive. I just got 5 bananas for 95 cents today at Trader Joe's. Heck, get canned fruits/veggies if you have to, if they're cheaper. Things like dried pasta, rice (brown is better than white for weight loss) beans, etc. are GREAT sources of energy and can be bought fairly cheaply in large packages. Good for you cereals like Cheerios are pretty affordable, and you could even buy the store brand instead of the name brand and get them cheaper. Also: Look for healthy things that you can use coupons for, or for specials at your grocery store -- i.e. the 6-for-$4 yogurt that my local store has sometimes.

The Cokes/Mountain Dews are another issue...honestly, if you cut those out completely, you'd be amazed not only at the weightloss results, but at how much better you'll FEEL. All the sugar and caffeine in those is really a killer. I can't say I know the feeling exactly, as I have never really drank "regular" soda, but I recently have been cutting back drastically on diet soda, mainly because of the sodium that causes water retention and weight gain. I am struggling, as diet soda has been a staple in my diet since I was very young, as my mom gave it to me hoping it would help me control my weight. It did help, but really, I got addicted to it, and I haven't gone a single day without at least one diet soda in decades. I'm down to one a day now, though, and all the rest of my fluids are water, water with Crystal Light (which I know you said you didn't like), and the occasional iced tea drink at Starbucks. Believe me, I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to water -- I've never really liked it -- but I AM starting to like it now, and even found myself out today looking for a place I could get a bottle of it! Weird! So, my suggestion to you...how about water sometimes, iced tea, maybe a light lemonade (I think Minute Maid makes it in cans), light juices (Ocean Spray makes light Cranberry juice and some other flavors), sparkling water (there are some with flavors that are pretty good), maybe even a glass of milk every once in awhile? Drinking a lot of water, too, will make you full -- a huge bonus!

Your actual food intake -- what you're eating and how much -- is key, of course, but I think you really need to get to the emotional aspect of your eating and work on that. It took me years, but I finally got a handle on mine. This is not to say that I don't slip up every once in awhile -- Anyone else ever had M&Ms for dinner??? I have! -- but for the most part, I am able to respond to stress and other negative feelings in my life in ways other than eating.

Hang in there! There are a lot of people cheering you on here!

To add to Annie's post, I'd be happy to share some recipes! In fact, here's one that I saw on the Food Network that I LOVE. Just made it yesterday, in fact!

**Note: If you need to reduce your sodium intake, you might go for lower-sodium versions of some ingredients. I know they make lower salt canned tomatoes, blackbeans, and various kinds of broth. Also: To keep the cost down, you could probably buy dried black beans and figure out the conversion for those, and you could make your own broth using lower sodium bouillion cubes and water. You can also add other spices -- a little chili powder or something else -- to spice it up a bit, but the jalapeno usually makes it pretty spicy.

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped

2 or 3 stalks celery, diced

2 small cans diced tomatoes

3 cans black beans

approximately 2 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable broth (or more depending on the consistency you desire)

2-3 bay leaves

salt and pepper to taste (optional)

2-3 teaspoons olive oil

Saute the onions, garlic, celery, and jalapeno in olive oil until soft or lightly browned (whichever you prefer). Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, and spices. Simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes (I usually do it for closer to 45 to let all the flavors really meld).

This makes a pretty big pot. It usually lasts me for several days. I eat it with low-carb tortillas (the ones Annie mentioned in her healthy snacks thread), and just a dollop of lowfat sour cream. Good stuff!

Hey Kayla,

I'm not obese right now, but my WHOLE FAMILY is! And I'm scared. I've always been overweight, but at least managed to remain there. In the past years I'm noticing an upward trend in my weight so I'm scared. Because in my family there's also many many health problems, due to excess weight. Diabetes, High blood pressure, bad knees, etc.. whatever you can think of, we probably have it.

Anyway I've been dieting the past month or so, and I've fallen from 192 to 176 !

I know many people have said this (and I've read the whole thread) I just have to repeat it because I haven't seen you say you tried it. EAT FRUIT. If necessary, FORCE yourself to eat fruit. I have a problem with chocolate and sweet things. But I realized when I force myself to eat 3-4 fruits a day (and 1-2 veggies, in food cooked usually) I will have no desire for sweet things. Between meals I force myself to eat a peach. I guess apples and pears would be easiest to carry around with you, but apples don't do it much for me.

In your journal that you fill on fitday, check if you ate all 5 portions of your fruit/veggies. If you didn't it's a bad day Kayla.

My good thing I do is I never ever drink 'pop' (I had to look up what that means!) I've just never become addicted to it, I'm surprised because you can't believe how addicted I am to sweet things. There have been times in my life where I ate ONLY chocolate, everyday all day. And nothing else. Plain chocolate! For breakfast, lunch, dinner and between meals! Can you imagine! At age 12 I was in the hospital for some other reason, and doing a full check up the doc expressed concern for my liver! And asked what I was eating! Surely I was eating pounds and pounds of chocolate bars all day! This past couple of weeks I haven't had any almost. And the weird thing is I don't WANT it! It's because of those fruits I forced down my throat!

Anyway so my drinking habits are VERY healthy thank god. I drink water all day! Sometimes a glass of nonfat milk (I made myself get used to this, not fat milk tastes gross to me, I can't stand it if it's not in coffee), and an occasional oj and thats it for me!

I drink at least 2 liters of water a day. Thats like 4 small bottles. I try to push it up to 5 even on occasion. Since I drink nothing else I'm thirsty anyway. And I tend to drink almost all of it at meals.

I'm also feeling better energy wise. I used to be so tired and spend all day in my bed if I had the chance. I'm a little bit better. Also suffered a mild depression, it's getting better.

Kayla next time you write, I want you to tell me how many portions of fruit/veggies you forced down your throat ok? I'm waiting for your answer, what fruits you ate, when. Oh and banana doesn't count missy!

gee whiz, where to start??!!

Thanks Annie (again!!), browneyedgirl, hike14 and diamond78...all great suggestions/ideas/encouraging things...thank you thank you....

yes, Annie, I suppose my eating is directly associated with my emotional issues. The thing is, I don't know how to narrow it down specifically. I went to a therapist two years ago for what I thought was a short-term problem and she ended up telling me that I needed long term (think years) counseling, I had so much baggage. Know what I did?? I turned and ran! I've spent a whole lifetime burying things not to have them dredged out in therapy sessions. I was already having panic attacks just dealing with what I was dealing with at the time. Believe it or not, I am a very picky eater! But the things I pick are excessively high cal high fat foods. My newest love?? Little Caesars Italian Cheesesticks dipped in marinara sauce! I'm not a big chocolate eater, or even a big candy eater, not big on ice cream, but I love my donuts, I love my pizza and Mexican food, nachos, spaghetti, you name it. And let's not forget my morning java, aka Mountain Dew! This stuff makes me happy for a few minutes. It satisfies me, for a few minutes. It makes me content, for a few minutes. I get bored, I grab something to eat. I'm lonely, I grab something to eat. That's my cycle.

I grabbed some fresh peaches tonight at the grocery. Picked up some ice cream, and put it back, didn't really want it. Have drank two 20 oz bottles of water today, in addition to milk with my cereal and my Cokes.

Hike....ummmmm...I had a peach tonight...I guess that's all the veggies I had. For breakfast I had a bowl of Cocoa Crispies and for lunch chicken nachos at the local Mexican dive. For snack, some cookies and a bottled water. When I got home tonight from church I had a ham and cheese sandwhich and a coke. And a peach. Now I'm nursing a bottled water.

I feel so overwhelmed right now, that I feel helpless, even though I know that I am not.

but food doesn't solve your problems, does it? whatever you are nervous or upset about, food cures the problem for 10 minutes, but then it is back again. i understand, i am there with you. i've done that too, had the danish, the donut, the ice cream when i am upset, it feels soooo good to be eating it, but then the dish is done, and those feelings are back. and then you are heavier. and it's not helping anything at all.

i think when you start losing weight, when you eat better foods, you will start to feel better. your brain releases endorphins when you exercise, and i have to say, i do feel better emotionally when i am exercising and eating well. i think you might feel better too. i can see how excited you are after you take your walks. you have to keep that up, and go a bit farther, every time. i think your walks will make you far happier than a donut.

donuts, cookies, ice cream.... those are all foods with a lot of sugar and fat, but very little fiber and protein. sugar gets absorbed very quickly, and you are just as hungry when you are done. foods that are high in fiber, low in fat, like apples, brocolli, chili.... these foods take longer to digest, keep you full longer, and don't cause those same insulin spikes. that's that the glycemic index diet is based upon. eating those foods has really helped me.

an apple costs less than a donut, and it will keep you full longer, and will help keep you regular. it's win win. i'd try to get away from the sugary cereals and try the higher fiber ones, like fiber 1 cereals, honey nut cheerios, cheerios, etc.....

you did good on the water today! the cokes... not so good. what about diet coke? or the light lemonade instead?

the one thing with weight watchers is that i have learned how to incorporate my favorites into my meal plans. you don't have to give up pizza or nachos. you just can't have them every day. and you can have substitutions that can work to help out cravings. like i make mexican foods with my george foreman grill for grilling chicken, i cover it with lots of salsa, and a bit of sour cream and some guac. i have it with black beans, and those low cal tortillas. it's all about portion control.

pizzas - try the lean cuisine or weight watchers pizzas. or today, i had a rice cake with some pizza sauce on it and light cheese. less than 100 calories, and tasty. it wasn't little ceasar's, but i can fit into my jeans, and that makes me happy too.

another thing that has helped me is to have my fatty favorites, like cheese burgers, pastries, pizza, etc... only when it is a celebration of sorts. if i am out with my friends celebrating, then i will indulge. if it is just a regular normal day, i will eat as healthy as i can.

gotta work on portion control! you should take that grocery list i made you and take it to the store and stock up.

how about this - make new goals every week. nothing big, you don't have to be perfect, just goals. like maybe this week, promise that you will take a walk every day this week. next week, in addition to your walk, try to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. i assure you, if you can fit in 5 servings of fruits and veggies, you will be craving less junk, and there just won't be room for other stuff in your stomach. but tell yourself you won't have any 'treats' or pizza or chips or soda, until you've had your 5 servings of fruits and veggies.

Good on you Kayla! My sister really struggles with her weight and has been classed morbidly obese. It's good to see you are making an effort!

Apart from diet and exercise, have you tried anything else? My sister was on a drug called Duramine... It supresses your appetite and gives you much more energy. She did really well on these. They do have a rather endless list of side effects though... But so do most medications.

Btw, I'm about 87kgs and 175cm... or 192 lbs and 5ft 9.. can I join?

Archived