Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

Anyone excited about the sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird???

link removed. I was excited...but then I read this. I have no idea what's true or what's not...but it's made me a little hesitant to pick it up...even though To Kill A Mockingbird was one of those coming of age stories for me. Have you heard much about this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, my book club members and I have been all over this story, ha ha.

I don't know if Harper Lee is being exploited or not, I think it's pretty hard to tell. I mean, yes, she has been reclusive all her life and said she didn't want the manuscript published, but there's the fact to consider that she's getting old and probably will die soon, and maybe she wants to get it out there before she dies.

I don't think we'll ever be able to figure out if she's been strong-armed into publishing. I think the best for all involved would probably be if the estate executor publishes it after she dies. The only other thing that would make people feel better about this is if Harper could give a FTF interview, which by all accounts is not possible in her condition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've read one book by Joe Hill. Love him. Just don't have a whole lot of time to read more.

Been reading Booker T. Washington's autobiography, UP FROM SLAVERY. Sooo intriguing and he writes very well. I recommend it highly for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

alice bailey's autobiography. i've read all of the books but this is the first time i've opened the bio.

she's humble, extremely candid and witty and hillarious.

"To return to Belfast. It was discovered by my superiors that I had quite a flair for saving souls and I made such a good record that Miss Sandes sent for me to join her at the Artillery Practice Camp in central Ireland and there get some real training. It was lovely green country and I shall never forget the day I arrived there. In spite, however, of the beauty, my major impression was eggs. Nothing but eggs everywhere. There were eggs in the bath tub; there were eggs in every pan; there were eggs in the drawers of my dressing table; there were eggs in boxes under my bed. If I remember rightly, there were one hundred thousand eggs in the house and they had to be in some kind of container. I discovered that we used seventy-two dozen eggs in the coffee shop of the Soldiers Home every night and as there were three homes in that district serviced by us, we used innumerable eggs. Therefore, eggs had precedence over everything—except the Gospel."