Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

• 2 weeks later...
I am preparing to be thoroughly creeped out.

image removed

That would be very interesting. One of my exes was a psychologist who had a personal and professional interest in understanding how cults work, and he had several books on different cults. I read one of them. It was interesting talking with him about that subject.

That would be very interesting. One of my exes was a psychologist who had a personal and professional interest in understanding how cults work, and he had several books on different cults. I read one of them. It was interesting talking with him about that subject.

It's a very interesting read. I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I had read two long fiction books before and wanted to get back into non-fiction, so I took a chance with this because I knew about the mass suicide thing only vaguely, and didn't really know much else at all about it.

You know how you always hear like serial killers started by killing animals when they were kids and stuff? Similarly, Jim Jones was a master manipulator from a very early age. He would have audiences and keep them as long as he possibly could in his barn loft and do "healing" shows and that type of thing.

It was a very good choice for a book. It's a really, really creepy book because it actually happened, but it describes how he used fear, making himself the victim, and going on the offensive to have absolute control over his "church."

It's just incredible, because his inner circle were mostly educated people.

Hi. I'm from Australia and we had a notorious shocking secret cult exposed here quite a few years ago called "The Family" led by a woman named Anne Hamilton Byrne. Most of the followers were educated people, including doctors. She is in a nursing home now with dementia, and a recent newspaper article claimed that she had amassed more than $20million dollars - I'm sure it would be MUCH more. Some of the former members of the family are presently talking about how her estate should be managed when she dies and paid out in compensation. There are books on that cult which you would likely find interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Gavin de Becker's "The Gift of Fear" and can I just say, "Wow!" I avoided reading this book for so long, because it just sounded too pop-psychology for me. And then a friend, who'd been carjacked and nearly killed, urged me to read it. Now I'm making my sons read it and their girlfriends too, it's that important a lesson in how listening to your intuition can potentially save your life.

The Giver - Lois Lowry

I read this book when I was young...and it changed the way I viewed the world. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to read it

I've heard the movie sucks. Too bad. It's such a cool concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently read Inifinity + One. I couldn't get into it at first, then gave it a second shot a month later and am so glad I did.

I also ready Barely Breathing.

Now I'm reading Overeater's Anonymous.

I have so many unread books on my Kindle, and others in my wishlist, I'll have to read a book every day in my retirement LOL.