Open Club  ·  29 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
I'm a follower of adventure stories. Now I just started reading "The call of the wild" by Jack London.

I've read that book many times. First got it when I was in elementary school and actually still have the same copy. I really like it. White Fang is another good one--probably my favorite.

• 7 months later...

Re-reading

"The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula K. Le Guin

Published 50 years ago. Yet very much of today.

"The book’s protagonist, Genly Ai, faces many challenges in his mission to the frigid world of Gethen, but the biggest is his struggle to understand a society of people who are gender-neutral most of the time, except for once a month when they go into kemmer and become either male or female."

• 2 months later...

I’m about to start the first of four spin off books based on the BBC cop series ‘Life on Mars’ called ‘blood, bullets and blue straits. Meant to start it last night but I was shattered.

‘Time to leap into the Cortina as Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt roar back into action in a brand new instalment of Life on Mars.

‘If you think I’m gonna stand here listening to yet more of your Mary, Mungo and Midge about waiting for back-up, you’re even dopier than the front of your head suggests, Tyler. I’m going right up them stairs to nail me a villain – and that, Sammy-boy, is called law enforcement!’

When detective Sam Tyler was catapulted into the alien world of 1973, he found a world where men swigged scotch before breakfast. But when Sam finally got home, he realised he’d left his heart back in the seventies amongst the fly-wing collars and pints of Skol. He missed Annie Cartwright, the woman he had fallen in love with, and perhaps – just perhaps – he even missed The Guv, that nicotine-stained, sexist, homophobic caveman who was his DCI.

Now Sam is back in ’73 for good, but is this the greatest mistake he’s ever made? As Sam deals with what appears to be an IRA bombing campaign, and clashes with the irrepressible Gene Hunt, the creepy little girl from the TV test card keeps warning him, “you should never have come back here, Sam…you’ll see… you’ll see…”’

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 2:01 PM, LaHermes said:

Been reading again "Darkness Falls from the Air" by Nigel Balchin. Have read most of his books. Set in WWII and post-war years. 

http://www.nigelmarlinbalchin.co.uk/

hi LH!

This sounds like an author my mum would love.  But I also jus finished a book set in WWII.  It's called "The Paris Apartment" by Kelly Bowen.  Really good read.  It's her first book.  It starts out in 2017 and goes back to 1940 -1943.  Very interesting.  

Now I am starting "The Age of Witches" by Louisa Morgan.  It's set in the guilded age in NYC.  Pretty good so far.  She has some other titles that seem similar-- fiction based on witchcraft families.  

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...