Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

Reading three right now: "Still Missing" by Chevy Stevens, a novel about a young woman's recovery after being abducted by a stranger, Coal River by Michael Shnayerson about the fight between landowners and big coal mining in the Appalachian Mountains and last but not least American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

I keep having to put Coal River down, because I find it just gets me so angry over how big business is so willing to rape the land and people's lives in the process of turning a profit.

And for those reading books that make you realize just how far we've come as a society I recommend War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, Expanded Edition by Edwin Black. I've made that one required reading for each of my kids to get them to realize just how close the good old U.S. of A. came to being another Nazi Germany at one point in our history. It's a book that's frightening, heartbreaking and infuriating all at the same time. Very much along the same lines as The Immortal Life of Henrietta Slacks, another book I loved but found infuriating.

I know these books make my blood pressure go up, but I think that's a good thing. It never hurts to educate oneself about the darker side of life and how to fight it.

image removed

Ransom Rigg, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Awesome book so far! I like to think of it as the chick version of The X-Men, though it's not. I was convinced to read it after following an artist online who has released a graphic novel version (she's also done artwork for Mortal Instruments).

Heir to the Empire - Timothy Zahn

DUDE! I met him in person and his work is amazing!

Finished two books last week: The Fault in Our Stars and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

I was bored with The Fault in Our Stars from the beginning and the middle, but the ending made it better. Augustus seemed too superficial. I know this is suppose to be a novel targeted for a teen audience... But the writing style just did not appeal to my reading level at all. I may see this novel in theaters next weekend.. I may not. I will wait until what fan reviews say.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children had a better writing style compared to Fault, and the creepy photos made it appealing. The storytelling however... It was good in the beginning, but the ending was a major letdown. The protagonist doesn't appear to have an awesome peculiar ability like the others did and I still can't get over how the love interest is after the grandson of her former boyfriend (there is time traveling involved between present time and 1940s Britain during WWII, but it's still creepy). Plus there wasn't enough action. However, it's only the first book of the series and I decided to give the author another shot based on GoodRead Reviews of his second sequel:

image removed

I am already more than halfway finished and enjoy this more. The writer must of re-evaluated his previous work and found a better direction to go with the story. It took him two years into work it all out and I'm glad he did because his writing improved. He's a new author and has a good potential direction to go with this series. Much more action from all the peculiar children and it is so much better than the first book. Highly recommend. I getting "book depression" over it bending soon and having to wait a couple more years for the third book to come.

Fun Fact About Peculiar Children: it will be coming out to theaters July 2015 and Tim Burton is said to direct the project. They could not have picked a better director to do this type of story than him and I am super excited he agreed to do it. It's going to be an amazing movie under his supervison.

• 2 weeks later...

image removed

This was just from the prologue and it gave me chills. The first page really sucked me in. Everyone needs to read this book. There's a reason this young lady was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

• 2 weeks later...
The Last Command - Timothy Zahn

I thought you might be interested...

Timothy Zahn is doing an "online panel" off on Reddit ("Ask Me Anything" sub forum) on July 9 at 6 pm est. You post a question and he answers. Here's a link: link removed

Malala's book was really, really insightful, powerful, and incredible. I have a new perception about Islam culture, Pakistan, and the Middle Eastern world that is not so negative thanks to her breaking some cultural barriers by sharing her perspectives. I highly, highly everyone reads her memoir. This should be a required reading in schools.

image removed

I just started this. It is about a boy with severe autism who communicates through scripting Disney movie lines. I recommend this by a colleague and plan to share it among my classmates/professors.

I thought you might be interested...

Timothy Zahn is doing an "online panel" off on Reddit ("Ask Me Anything" sub forum) on July 9 at 6 pm est. You post a question and he answers. Here's a link: link removed

Thank you!

Current read: Vision of the Future - Timothy Zahn