Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

Anna Karenina, the audiobook version. I read it over 30 years ago. Listening to it this time it kind of reminds me of eNA posts. Infidelity, marriage, love, financial issues, gossip, generalizations made about women and men... It is a classic.

Yes. I loved that book. It's one of the shortlist that I have read more than once.

I've been reading "Rose Daughter" by Robin McKinley per my friend's recommendation. It's basically a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The first half kept me occupied during a plane ride, but I'm now losing interest in it. But a part of me wants to just finish it for the sake of finishing what I started.

Anna Karenina, the audiobook version. I read it over 30 years ago. Listening to it this time it kind of reminds me of eNA posts. Infidelity, marriage, love, financial issues, gossip, generalizations made about women and men... It is a classic.

This is on my list for the winter! I actually bought it last winter to read but got sidetracked when a friend lent me the first 4 books from the Game Of Thrones series.

I'm reading "Wuthering Heights" but it is really tough going. Heathcliff is an ass. So are most of the other characters. I can't stand anyone. Today I rebelled and started reading The Ambler Warning by Robert Ludlum. I read it a long time ago but I forget it. It is much better than Wuthering Heights.

A stunning story of Deogratias Niyizonkiza's escape from genocide in both Burundi and Rwanda, and then from poverty in NYC. It's heart-breaking and gut-wrenching that the violence and slaughter he witnessed is a reality in this day and age. This book has touched me deeply, both for it's window into the horrors that some struggle with, and for the strength of the human spirit, and the kindness of others who risked something of themselves to help Deo. I am left pondering how I might best help, where, and whom. At the same time I read this book I also viewed some YouTube testimony of WWII holocaust survivors, and have a better understanding of the whole picture, how those from afar may not understand or have a clear picture when their help is most needed, especially when events that are real are so unbelievable by the nature of their horror and inhumanity. This post may paint a bleak picture, but I recommend this book to everyone (as well as the videos from the Shoah Foundation) for what they teach us about human strength and recovery, and what we can learn about our selves.

"Strength in What Remains" by Tracy Kidder

My grandpa was 19 when he landed with the 6th Marines on Okinawa. He never talked about it. He was wounded in the leg. I now have his bayonet and Army Corps of Engineers Compass.

I always appreciate those who went through that hell on earth, especially Okinawa with my family history there too.

Make sure that bayonet, compass, and any other items you may have gotten (papers and photos can be the coolest things) are displayed.

I've switched gear from Remmarque in mid book to "A Year at the Movies: One Man's Filmgoing Odyssey" by Kevin Murphy. It's an interesting delving into the world of flim from the consumer side; plus he's a MST3K Alum so there is quite a bit of wit.