I went from over sensitive to insensitive.

SadSadgirl

i usually give advice on here but i don't know what's wrong with me.

ever since i was little i'd cry and become upset over the most smallest things. i empathized so well when it came to my friends and family.

i've been through a lot growing up, losing my father, losing our family home, and going through an extremely traumatizing breakup. sometimes i would just randomly think about these things and start crying.

now i don't care.. and i don't know why. i'm at the top of my class, i always cared about my grades but now i could care less. my mother cried in front of me and i just laughed in her face and i don't know why!

usually these are things i always feel guilty about but now I don't care at all. i haven't cried in a few days when before i used to breakdown for no reason. i am literally insensitive, i feel like nothing bothers me anymore and i know this isn't normal. should i talk to my therapist about this? thanks.

Yes you should talk to your therapist. It sounds like you are shutting down emotionally. That doesn't make you a monster. Our brains have self protective measures when things get too much for us to handle, and shutting down can be one of them.

You've been through a lot at such a young age. I hope you feel better soon.

Yes you should talk to your therapist. It sounds like you are shutting down emotionally. That doesn't make you a monster. Our brains have self protective measures when things get too much for us to handle, and shutting down can be one of them.

You've been through a lot at such a young age. I hope you feel better soon.

thank you.

You sound like you have some emotional trauma, could it be avoidance? Where you used to feel so much pain that you found a way to just block them?

I also, suggest you speaking to a therapist to figure what it is. It's very unhealthy to let things bottle up or to try to numb yourself from it. One day, it might just come all out and you will feel worst.

I'm saying this because that's exactly what happened to me. I blocked everything for so long that one day, I just had a nervous breakdown. Working it through with a therapist really helped.

Yes you should talk to your therapist about why you laugh in the face of the woman who birthed you as she cries. Also talk to your therapist about why you even had to ask.

I totally agree. I was going to strongly recommend therapy until I saw you actually are already seeing a therapist. I would have thought it would be obvious to discuss these issues with your therapist, no? I'm a bit confused as to why you haven't done the obvious.

I totally agree. I was going to strongly recommend therapy until I saw you actually are already seeing a therapist. I would have thought it would be obvious to discuss these issues with your therapist, no? I'm a bit confused as to why you haven't done the obvious.

I only see her once a week, and I just recently realized what's happening to me

I only see her once a week, and I just recently realized what's happening to me

There's a difference between emotions and behaviors. Emotions are transient, but we're each fully responsible for our behaviors, and you owe your mother an apology. You're not entitled to abuse others just because you're not feeling particularly generous on any given day.

Your chosen behaviors aren't something that happens 'to' you--you're in full charge of those. There are days when we all feel lousy. That's never a license to act out a mean streak in some juvenile temper tantrum.

You wouldn't hire a plumber and then not tell her or him where the problem is. You've hired a therapist, so document your week and discuss your symptoms with her or him. But understand, the best therapist in the world can't your life for you--that's your job.

Archived