New Baby - Both of us ill. Scared she will get sick.

superfan

I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on February 6th. We named her Kira and she is not a week and one day old. Prior to going into labour I had been sick for about 2 weeks with the worst cough/respiratory infection I had ever had. It was so painful I bruised a rib which made labour even more horribly painful than it should have been.

I thought the cough/infection was going away, but last night my husband came down with it and it seems to have come back on me full force as well.

I am breastfeeding her exclusively so I know that there are some antibodies in the breast milk that will keep her safe, but I am still terrified that she will catch it and get really ill. She's so tiny and helpless.

Any tips on how to keep her from catching it? We are both washing our hands before we touch her, trying not to breathe on her and/or cough on her.

How sick could she get?

Worried new Mom.

I would start with contacting your pediatrician, and go from there. I'm sure they could offer some helpful suggestions.

Feel better, and congrats to both of you.

I might do that tomorrow. Today is a holiday. She has an appointment on Friday but maybe I can get in tomorrow as well. Thanks!

Congrats on your daughter!!

Wash hands religiously and try not to cough or sneeze on her. I know it is terrifying to think your newborn will get sick. It is always a scary thought as a parent . I am not saying she will get this but they can and do get sick. I know they look tiny and helpless but they are pretty hearty little creatures.

I would not do Vicks or any herbs on a newborn unless you talk to the pediatrician first. I just saw a post on this issue on my mom's group and she was wearing a face mask while nursing (same issue).

So many congratulations to you and to your family on beautiful Kira!!! She will be fine and she is in awesome hands. I hope you and husband feel much better soon.

Congrats, mom!!

My son got a cold when he was a little over a week old, which I caught while I was in the hospital. He was fine, no RSV or anything. I just booger sucked him often(and used saline drops prior to doing so). I also ran a humidifier but I know that's bothersome to your asthma. May I suggest the Nose Frieda to have in the house? Every parent of a baby or toddler should have one. Still use it on my 3 year old since he can't blow his nose yet. And definitely keep breastfeeding, those antibodies are pretty amazing.

Vicks, the infant one or the regular one at this age is dangerous. If she catches your virus and gets really stuffy , maybe your husband can run the shower for a bit to steam it up and stand in there with her for a couple minutes.

There is really nothing you can do besides what you are already doing, prevention-wise. I am sure you know the rule about infant fevers(100.3F rectal/38C) and how they're a bigger deal for babies than older infants/kids. She'll be okay. If she gets a fever or you notice any stridor, chest retractions etc then you just go to the ER.

Congrats on your daughter!!

Wash hands religiously and try not to cough or sneeze on her. I know it is terrifying to think your newborn will get sick. It is always a scary thought as a parent . I am not saying she will get this but they can and do get sick. I know they look tiny and helpless but they are pretty hearty little creatures.

So far she seems OK, but I am paying attention to her breathing. I think my fear is exacerbated by the fact that my sister and I were both severely asthmatic as children and nearly died several times in the hospital. When I gave birth, they even had it on record that I had been intubated several times as a child, so respiratory illnesses scare the life out of me.

Thanks for the nice thoughts!

I would not do Vicks or any herbs on a newborn unless you talk to the pediatrician first. I just saw a post on this issue on my mom's group and she was wearing a face mask while nursing (same issue).

So many congratulations to you and to your family on beautiful Kira!!! She will be fine and she is in awesome hands. I hope you and husband feel much better soon.

I'll definitely be asking my doctor about that. So far she has been OK, so I am waiting until Friday which is her scheduled appointment unless she shows any symptoms in which case I will be calling immediately. Our illness on the other hand doesn't seem to be going anywhere. SO tired of coughing!

Congrats, mom!!

My son got a cold when he was a little over a week old, which I caught while I was in the hospital. He was fine, no RSV or anything. I just booger sucked him often(and used saline drops prior to doing so). I also ran a humidifier but I know that's bothersome to your asthma. May I suggest the Nose Frieda to have in the house? Every parent of a baby or toddler should have one. Still use it on my 3 year old since he can't blow his nose yet. And definitely keep breastfeeding, those antibodies are pretty amazing.

Vicks, the infant one or the regular one at this age is dangerous. If she catches your virus and gets really stuffy , maybe your husband can run the shower for a bit to steam it up and stand in there with her for a couple minutes.

There is really nothing you can do besides what you are already doing, prevention-wise. I am sure you know the rule about infant fevers(100.3F rectal/38C) and how they're a bigger deal for babies than older infants/kids. She'll be okay. If she gets a fever or you notice any stridor, chest retractions etc then you just go to the ER.

Yeah we have a thermometre which we have been using to check her and I am pretty sure we have a snot sucker thingy but I will check to make sure. Thanks again!

Yeah we have a thermometre which we have been using to check her and I am pretty sure we have a snot sucker thingy but I will check to make sure. Thanks again!

I was going to get the Frida but changed my mind when I saw some of the reviews and had some concerns about the cleanliness/hygiene. Maybe your doctor can suggest a good/safe one. We never used one.

The Nose Frida came recommended by both my son's pediatrician, and a peeds ER doctor when I took him in for croup.

Yes, the concept of using lung power to suck snot out is gross. No, I don't think that filter is going to stop microorganisms, but I've certainly never gotten snot in my mouth, or even close to it.

So far she seems OK, but I am paying attention to her breathing. I think my fear is exacerbated by the fact that my sister and I were both severely asthmatic as children and nearly died several times in the hospital. When I gave birth, they even had it on record that I had been intubated several times as a child, so respiratory illnesses scare the life out of me.

Thanks for the nice thoughts!

I understand. I am asthmatic from birth as well. However my son has been tested for asthma and he is clear , thankfully. I had him tested at the same time he had his allergy testing.

Archived