Experiences with birth control pills?

Nina95

I've been with my boyfriend for almost two years now and so far we've relied on the withdrawal and rhythm methods for birth control. We've been lucky so far... no pregnancies; I continue to be as regular with my periods as I've always been (I can tell exactly when I'm gonna get my period, give or take one day). However, I've been meaning to get on some form of "real" birth control ever since we became exclusive and stopped using condoms (we both hate them).

After a talk with my new gynecologist this week, she convinced me and prescribed TriNessa for me (0.18mg norgestimate, 0.035 ethynil estradiol for white pills, it's the generic for Ortho Tri-Cyclen). I should be starting on it in a week or so.

I've always been a little reluctant about going on hormones for contraception; thus why it's taken me so long to take the leap. A few doctors have recommended either pills or the ring (I hear the latter can be kind of weird in certain positions or even get loose? plus it also contains hormones in a lower dose). More than a few doctors have discouraged me from getting an IUD, especially since I have a history of recurrent urinary tract infections and abnormal pap smears. So all that seems to be left is the pill.

Can you share your experiences with contraceptive pills?

I'm concerned about the usual: effect on emotions/mood, weight gain, and even risk of breast and cervical cancers. In the last couple of hours I've read many stories all over the internet, related to many pills, not just TriNessa. Many are horror stories about extreme weight gain even in people who are very active and diet-conscious (so it's seemingly related to fluid retention and changing insulin levels,etc) and others are about turning totally crazy in terms of mood swings and becoming overly emotional.

Any input will be appreciated!

The only pill I had problems with was ortho tri-cyclen -over 20 years ago. I gained a lot of weight fast (only 5 pounds but abnormally fast) felt like crap, etc. Then I was on Nordettes (name brand I guess) for many years, on and off, and it was fine. I went off the pill in 2005 and didn't try to conceive until 2 years later so I can't speak on fertility-related effects but I have several friends who got pregnant easily as soon as they went off the pill.

The only pill I had problems with was ortho tri-cyclen -over 20 years ago. I gained a lot of weight fast (only 5 pounds but abnormally fast) felt like crap, etc. Then I was on Nordettes (name brand I guess) for many years, on and off, and it was fine.

Oh Exactly the one I got, and the generic one (my insurance won't cover brand, which for ortho is like $356 for a 3-month supply - a little much for birth control and not knowing if it will even adjust well with my body).

I cannot be on birth control. I get serious migraine attacks and stroke-like symptoms just as half of my body turns numb. I see flashing auras and get hit with a headache that regular pain relievers will do nothing. Even with lower hormonal dosage, my body negatively reacts to it with the same life-threatening symptoms. My menstral cycle is very regulated that I can predict when my periods will come ( I would be off by 1-2 days)- because it's so regulated naturally this is probably why I get the nasty side affects.

I cannot do an IUD. Every GYN doctor (4 different ones) refused to insert one until I have a child because there is a major medical liability behind it.

Unfortunately, birth control pills are not for everyone. So for now I am doing condoms and occasionally the pullout. I don't recommend the pull out until you are in a total secured relationship (I.e engaged or married) because lots of people get pregnant that way. I'm getting married (yay, tomorrow!) and am at the age of needing to have a child, so I won't be bothered if it happens either way.

I was on the pill for 5 years, Ortho-tri-cyclen. Had no issues with it aside from the first month I went on it, when my body was adjusting to the hormones. So I felt like I had PMS all month. I never gained weight on the pill, though I must say that when I went off it, my T&A seemed to...deflate a bit, lol!

I think I got fairly lucky, in that I never had any issues with that brand. Many of my friends had to switch to many different brands of pills in order t find one that worked for them without many side effects. Some of my friends just opted not to take the pill at all because they were frustrated with the side effects. One girl I know suffered extreme hairloss from lo-estrin (sp?)..that never grew back and she now has a huge permanent bald spot on her crown....

I got off the pill several years ago and switched to a copper IUD, I didn't want synthetic hormones in my body anymore. Personal choice.

I've been on the pill for 10+ years and have had no major symptoms that would send me running to the doctor. My periods took awhile to regulate, but that was ok because there wasn't any severe cramping, heavy bleeding, or mood swings. My breasts would be a little tender once in awhile, but that wasn't a huge deal. The only time I ever gained weight was when I slacked on my diet and exercise routine, but once I got into the swing of things the weight was lost so the pill wasn't an issue with that.

The last few years however I've experienced severe dryness. My skin is dry, my eyes are dry, my lady bits are dry..... seriously everything is dry. I thought I could just make some dietary changes and amp up my use of moisture adding products, but its just not working and its become disruptive to daily functioning. Also I'm older and my body is changing anyway so my doctor and I decided I'd switch to the implant with the hopes this side effect will disappear since its less hormones. I'm also pretty tired of taking a pill every day although I did a really good job being routine about it.

I've been on two different BC pills; I don't remember the name of the first one, but the most recent one was Gildess FE. Both were horrible experiences. I became depressed without reason, cranky, tired, nauseous, and had cramps on a constant basis. It was like I was at the worst point of PMS all month, every month. With that last pill I was more determined, thinking these side effects would abate after a month or so, but after two months of the same symptoms, I was at my breaking point. My husband told me if it came down to either my happiness or a few more years of condoms, I should choose happiness.

As others have said, the pill is not for everyone. Some people can use these same pills I did for years without nearly the same severity of side effects. Another option is the injection, which does cause quite a bit of weight gain and can make it difficult for you to get pregnant after you stop, but I had a friend who was on that for years. Not, of course, that I'm a doctor or anything, just speaking from word of mouth here.

Archived