Girls: If i said this to you, how would you react?

boltcinema

Hi, i did a survery and majority girls on this forum prefer full honesty, so if you're a girl and i came up to you because i liked you or thought you were pretty and said, "Hey how's it going? To be fully honest, i came up to talk to you because i thought you were cute and pretty. Btw my name is _____"

How would you react if i said this? Do you like this? This is my fully honesty? Or do you prefer pick up lines? Or neither, what do you like? How do you prefer a guy to hit on you?

I would expect a guy to strike up a conversation with me first, it's all great if he thinks I'm attractive but at that point, I know nothing about him and he knows nothing about me, why would I give him my number? I lust over guys all day, but it's not practical for me to go hit on them without knowing a single thing about them beyond there physical features, unless all I want is to get laid.

I would appreciate the honesty and the courage it probably took to say that. I would definitely give a guy who said this a chance.

My boyfriend approached me in a similar way.. He came up to me at a party and said "Hey, my name is ____, what's yours?"

Also, a year ago I was approached almost in the same exact way. I knew nothing about him except that I admired that he had the guts to say that he found me attractive. I would have given him my number if I hadn't already been dating my boyfriend. But still, even a year later I remember that guy.

I agree with Jennifer to a degree. Sometimes you aren't always in the position to strike up a conversation. If you're just passing by perhaps. Of course you want to date someone based on more then physical attraction, but lets be honest, the initial attraction is usually what leads people to decide if they want to know more. Just striking up a conversation naturally does feel best and it feels least awkward in my experience though. If you're in a position to do that, give it a try. Examples could be the weather, your surroundings, compliment on something she's wearing (though not something over the top like 'You fill out that sweater nicely...sounds bizarre to even have to point that out but you would be surprised lol) Once you have a little conversation I think you can definitely add in something like 'You're very pretty' again not over the top. Honestly is the best thing in my opinion PLEASE don't use pickup lines. I've never met a girl who liked them. I once was told my 'golden locks brightened the room like the sun- not an exaggeration- and couldn't help but laugh. SO cheesy! Don't bother with pickup lines. Honesty is for sure best, and if tastefully done I don't know a girl around who wouldn't be flattered by a sweet compliment.

I've had this, or similar, things said to me many times over the years

I think it's charming, takes a lot of courage to come out with - especially when the guy's visibly nervous - and I receive the compliment graciously. Sometimes it's made my day, and I've told him so. Whether or not I wanted to continue the conversation would depend on the circumstances and the sort of vibe I was getting off the guy. I've had one or two relationships which started off with him telling me something like that, and many friendships.

Hi, i did a survery and majority girls on this forum prefer full honesty, so if you're a girl and i came up to you because i liked you or thought you were pretty and said, "Hey how's it going? To be fully honest, i came up to talk to you because i thought you were cute and pretty. Btw my name is _____"

How would you react if i said this? Do you like this? This is my fully honesty? Or do you prefer pick up lines? Or neither, what do you like? How do you prefer a guy to hit on you?

I would probably smile and take up the challenge of flirty banter.

Here's my take on the psychology of women (from a woman).

While many of us mostly know that physical attraction is pretty much that 'pull' that will get you to ask for a number... we like to think that you don't just want to boink us and that you are also attracted to us for our stellar personality.

For this reason, going up to someone and saying "Hey - you are hot. Can I have your number?" feels a little creepy. In reality, we are humans, and we know that it probably took a lot of courage and many would be at least flattered. It may or may not result in a number, though.

If you go up to the girl and make small talk, talk about how the train is late or... whatever... and establish a rapport before you ask for the number, it feels more special and less like you go up to every pretty girl asking for their number. While you still might not get the number for a variety of reasons, your chances will increase.

It's not about "pick-up lines" (which are also "canned" and not special), it's about establishing a rapport.

I don't like to be hit on, so pick up lines never work. But I would appreciate just a guy coming up to start a conversation - he doesn't even have to say that he thought I was cute or pretty (but if he did, I'd probably giggle just because that's my personality to giggle and smile because of how shy I naturally am). I think it would be nice to make friends that way, not sure about dating since you would need to get to know one another first as friends - or at least that's how I would prefer it. I'd rather date a friend than a total stranger. :star:

Depends completely on whether I thought the guy was attractive and nonthreatening.

Could come accross as really interesting and intriguing if the guy was attractive. Even if the guy wasn't attractive, it would make me think him interesting and I'd probably talk to him if he didn't seem creepy. If he seemed creepy and forceful though, I'd probably nervously laugh and try to excuse my way to get away from them.

Generally, I like it when guys find me interesting *after* they've talked to me a bit and experienced my personality.

This is you being you. Authentic!

I would you give my name and number and ask you to give me your full name and number.

Like I said in every post, it varies from individuals.

"Hey how's it going? To be fully honest, i came up to talk to you because i thought you were cute and pretty. Btw my name is _____"

I am not a girl, but I think you need to add more self-deprecation to that line to make it work. It sounds too manipulative and overconfident as written.

Something like: "Hi, I'm sorry... I feel a little silly asking you this but you seem like a really nice person and you're very pretty, and I wonder if you'd like to go out sometime." Not that I would ever have the courage myself to try this in a million years, but it seems like something that could work.

eh, depends.

Depends on the delivery. If you are nervous, stammering, stuttering or blushing even just a little bit, I will and continue the convo and you will get my number if I'm available. I think nervousness is endearing and tells me that you are humble, which is a major plus. It will tell me that you b*lls cause you managed to work through your anxieties to talk to me, and are running the risk of making a huge azz of yourself in public because your standing there sweating like a goof, mumbling that I'm pretty....huge risk. This gets my number and admiration.

However, if you are not nervous, I get suspicious. Just because I have had so many random smooth men approach me over the years who were not interested in getting to know anything other than my body.

While the "you're pretty" approach is ok, I agree with some of the posters above who said even though looks are what draws men in, you want to know that he would like to get to know your personality, so ideally, I prefer an approach where a man does not mentions my looks at all, but strikes up a convo, finds a common interest/opinion etc, and compliments my mind. That is a winning situation.

• 3 months later...

I've been called the wrong name (so I would stop), the whole 'do you know where such and such is' and I remember once this guy walked up to me while I was in a foodcourt eating with a friend and said 'hey I think you're really pretty, and I'm probably not your type but do you have a bf? Can I have your number? ' I turned red as it was random and he made himself sound really insecure.

Best thing to say is 'Hey, how's it going? My name is ____'

I am not a girl, but I think you need to add more self-deprecation to that line to make it work. It sounds too manipulative and overconfident as written.

Something like: "Hi, I'm sorry... I feel a little silly asking you this but you seem like a really nice person and you're very pretty, and I wonder if you'd like to go out sometime." Not that I would ever have the courage myself to try this in a million years, but it seems like something that could work.

Confidence is good. What u wrote was kinda long winded, and noone can gauge 'very nice person' from a glance so... I wouldn't say that.

Okay so I'm been studying Pick Up for a while, I'm fantastic at helping others and also great myself but when it comes to, 'is she interested or not' I fumble. So the best thing to do is assume it's always on. That way you are still fully confident, not situational or egotistically confidant, but truly confident in yourself.

It's widely recommended to go into an approach in a direct manner, meaning "Hey! It should be a criminal offense to look that sexy in public! What's your name".. then when she gives you her name you take her hand and say whilst smiling "(her name), I'm gonna have to buck you into the station".

^^ The above is just something I've randomly come up with there but I think it's pritty solid, I see the funny side of it anyway and would have fun using it. That's the only thing that should be on your mind, having fun whilst approaching girls.

Indirect is stuff like talking about the weather and similar, like what Robin said above.

What you have done in your post is created a piece of canned routine. Problem is, you can whittle what you've written down even further. Remember, not everyone is free to talk and girls also like confidence so instead of the 'fully honest' stuff just say:

"Hey! You caught my eye, you're cute and pretty. What's your name?" - Always ask her name first OR tell her your name and ask for her's. 1 question is enough for the first initial approach, don't want to bombard her.

You're looking for a natural flow as well so don't say it as if you're reading it from a card or something, if you get the canned material wrong, it doesn't matter. Better to say what's in your head than nothing at all otherwise you will likely miss the chance to approach.

• 3 weeks later...

A pickup line wouldn't work on me.....but a funny one liner might. And saying I'm hot or pretty in the opening statement won't get any points. Most women that are reasonably attractive already know it..and are usually used to it. So to set yourself apart, you'd want to stay far away from that. Humor, eye contact and flirty body language sometimes goes a lot further than anything that comes out of your mouth...

• 1 month later...

I would be flattered and say thank. Everyone likes to be seen in a good way, don't they and nothing you said imo is wrong. Some people might not like it, but you can't please everyone on everything.

I think pick up lines are ridiculous and so not original and so played it is boring. I prefer Hi my name is and just start chatting as long as polite I will stay and talk.

Archived