Is there a such thing as a red wine intolerance?

Do any of you get very physicially affected by 1 glass of wine?

I have always noticed that wine has a stong affect on me, but it became even more apparent after the holidays when I had a glass with my meal.

I am not a drinker. I drink socially maybe once a month....When I drink I usually have mixed drinks. Bacardi and diet coke is my drink of choice. I can have a few over a span of time with no problem.

But whenever I have even one glass of wine, particularly red wine (merlot, which is about 12-13% alcohol by volume) I am pretty much good for nothing.

This what happens to me:

*I immediately feel warm. My hands and feet feel like they are burning.

*I feel tingly from head to toe

*My legs feel numb and dead- like jello. I could fall easily

*I feel extremely tired

*I feel silly and slow, sloppy and dizzy

Those are the signs of being "drunk" but why only after one glass of wine... when I can drink hard mixed drinks without similar affects? I feel like I am particularly sensitive to red wine- almost intolerant. I will not even drink wine unless I know I can be home and on the couch. When I had a glass with my holiday meal I had to sit down and recover for a while. I've never had more than one glass out of fear!

I never drink beer. Just mixed drinks. When I have "a glass" of red wine it is in a wine glass, about half full. The symptoms start happening by the 2nd sip. I also forgot to mention- one immediate affect, I turn red.

It doesn't happen with white wine or a blush- although they will still affect me more than a mixed drink.

i have that same 'problem" i even can't get a normal sentence out after one glass of red wine, in my head things sound normal but something different comes out...

but i am not a drinker at all so maybe that's why....sometimes i drink a mix drink but always add more orange juice than anyone else does..

my boyfriend loves red wine so one time he brought a bottle of red wine for us to enjoy, and after one glass i was drunk, he found it so amusing...

but i also don't like the taste so it's hard to get used to it then....

I never drink beer. Just mixed drinks. When I have "a glass" of red wine it is in a wine glass, about half full. The symptoms start happening by the 2nd sip. I also forgot to mention- one immediate affect, I turn red.

It doesn't happen with white wine or a blush- although they will still affect me more than a mixed drink.

You may have an allergy to it... It is possible to be 'allergic' to certain alcohols.

This sounds like LOVE to me! lol

Seriously if it is affecting you that quickly there is something in Red wine that you may be super sensetive to. I have never heard of this reaction before other than when I met my first love so you might want to be a little more careful. If you go wine tasting you better bring a wheelchair so hubby can get you back to the car! lol

Lost

This sounds like it could be what is called red wine headache.

link removed

Yeah it sounds like this or the Asian Flush.

Are there any pharmaceuticals involved? If you are taking an MAO-I (e.g., parnate, nardil, etc.) you would get these same symptoms. But with all the dietary warnings that come with those drugs, I can only assume that you would probably have mentioned it if you were.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I am not the one who experiences this with red wine.

I am italian and everyone in my family drinks wine without issue. I am the only weird one that can't handle it.

I am not on any medication.

Thanks for the link about the red wine headache. That sounds similar to what happens with me. If I drank more than one glass (never tried) I'm sure I'd end up with a headache since after just one glass I feel drowsy. Also, when I do have a glass of red wine I drink it slowly because it tastes like poison to me. That is another reason why I almost never have it and I won't go for a 2nd glass because I feel like might throw up if I have more than one glass. That numb feeling I get from it includes my throat and make me feel nauseous.

I'll stick with my bacardi and diet coke. Even a few of those, made strong, won't have the affect that 2 sips of red wine will.

It could be an allergy to the wine. I know a guy that can drink a ton of beer and be fine, but give him 1 glass of wine or hard alcohol (even if that's the only thing he's had to drink) and he's incoherent before he even finishes the glass. He can't walk a straight line, slurs his speech, motor control is basically non-existent. I can't remember what his doctor said it was, but it was something in wine/hard alcohol that isn't present in beer that he's intolerant to....it's not a "true" allergy, but something his body simply cannot metabolize so it immediately messes up his system as soon as it hits his stomach.

I can't drink red wines either... i'm very allergic to sulfites, and red wine (and in fact most wines) are full of them so you are basically having a strong allergic reaction... lots of people are allergic to sulfites and can't/shouldn't drink wine.

I stick to clear alcohols like vodka... the clearer the alcohol, the less additives, and wine usually has a ton of them...

Since I have no clue on the subject I'm just going to post about the Asian Flush thing. Asians tend to have less alcohol dehydrogenase in their systems which breaks down alcohol. Sooo they get drunk faster.

The red wine thing - I'd agree with the other posters, could be allergy to any of the additives in there. Cheap date Haha

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the link about the red wine headache. That sounds similar to what happens with me. If I drank more than one glass (never tried) I'm sure I'd end up with a headache since after just one glass I feel drowsy. Also, when I do have a glass of red wine I drink it slowly because it tastes like poison to me. That is another reason why I almost never have it and I won't go for a 2nd glass because I feel like might throw up if I have more than one glass.

• 7 months later...

Honestly, it's my first time to hear about red wine intolerance. Now, I'm getting curious about the topic. I know someone who gets flushes whenever he drinks wine, but I think it's not really an intolerance. Anyway, I love wines may it be red or white. It's good to know that I don't have any issue when it comes to wine. I always buy wines online for a better deal.

Archived