What’s the worst (or stupidest) thing you’ve lost while moving

I can’t find my desktop pc since moving 6 weeks ago. I was pretty hands off for this move so most of it was done by my partner and his friends. Took me until yesterday to declutter the garage at the new place enough to confirm that nope, no pc here. That thing had every band recording I’ve ever made in the last 15 years on it. (Hodgepodge of back ups over the years but nothing backed up recently because I am an idiot! ) That’s like the entire body of recording work I’ve ever done, gone. Kind of gutted.

I know it wasn’t left in the old house because I did the very last load. But what happened in the intervening days between the last time I saw it, sitting on the bedroom floor waiting to be moved, and the day I picked up the last little bits of misc, I’ll never know. 

Help me feel better with your tales of things lost while moving?

I wish I could share my lost moving items but I can't think of any.  I lived at home,  left with about several dozen cardboard boxes when moving into our first apartment with my husband,  packed up with more items including furniture from apartment to condo and then moved more accumulated items from condo to our first house.  From there,  we've since moved several times thereafter into larger houses.  Fortunately, we remained local,  packed our own stuff securely,  hired professional movers,  vans / trucks (18 or 22 wheelers),  they wrapped furniture and hauled it from place to place for us.  Between us,  my brother,  late FIL (father-in-law) and hired professional movers,  I can't recall losing anything.  We were lucky. 

I'm sorry about your PC.  Perhaps you can backtrack your transportation memory,  ask your friends and partner to look for your lost PC.  Hopefully, they can help you locate your PC.  Hope you find it!  💻

1 hour ago, 1a1a said:

I can’t find my desktop pc since moving 6 weeks ago. I was pretty hands off for this move so most of it was done by my partner and his friends.

That's where the question lies: "What did you guys do with my PC?"  One of them must surely know if they handled it or not. I mean, it's not exactly something small, like a phone or whatever.  Hopefully it wasn't stolen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

LOL I felt like I lost my mind with moving? My inherited china is MIA since we moved cities in 2008-09.  (Not stolen - husband moved a lot of my stuff before I moved and he remembers seeing it but we have a storage facility too).  He lost a very very special commemorative article of clothing because - his dad was helping him move many years ago and accidentally put it in the discard pile. Even wrote to the head of the company to see if it could be replaced- nope.

I hope you find your PC!

• Like 1

Your PC with 15 years of your own recordings is missing and you want to feel better by reading tales of other missing items?

A lost favorite electric toothbrush story will make you feel better?

Have you contacted the police?  This PC is not “missing” for 6 weeks.  It was likely “unmistakenly” moved off to the side. 

I’d be tearing my partner’s head off, if you want my story. 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Your PC with 15 years of your own recordings is missing and you want to feel better by reading tales of other missing items?

A lost favorite electric toothbrush story will make you feel better?

Have you contacted the police?  This PC is not “missing” for 6 weeks.  It was likely “unmistakenly” moved off to the side. 

I’d be tearing my partner’s head off, if you want my story. 

Right ? You don’t “ misplace “ a computer that you know means a lot to your partner . 

• Like 2

So I missed the part about partner and friends. I don’t think friends stole it. You don’t misplace a PC. Is it possible one dropped it and then “lost “ it?  Also I guess no backup thumb drive ?  Someone must recall who laid hands on it. Unless it was in a box with other stuff. Is anything else missing?

Also is this your main PC? Why was it moved by them ? And wouldn’t it if have been one of the last things packed away ??strange. 

I’ve asked, repeatedly, I’ve wailed, I’ve gnashed my teeth. 

I too wonder how absolutely no one could know what happened to this thing. But it’s also a big leap to think partner or his friends did something shady. About as impossible as it falling through a rip in the space time continuum (except that’s more impossible). 

The sheer impossibility of it is why finding other people who’ve experienced similar would take the edge off, I find bad things sting less when I realise I’m not alone in experiencing them.

I’ve been asking local friends, one persons wife lost his passport moving, one friend lost her wedding and engagement rings, another lost $15k of jewellery and all his ID (I haven’t checked but assume movers and foul play for that one). The hands down silliest one, one friends parents lost a queen sized mattress. 

As to why I didn’t move it myself, lifting limitation of 10kg and I wasn’t sure if the pc would be too heavy. I remember loading up everything else from my studio set up that day and trying to get my partner to do the pc but he was pretty preoccupied and I was pretty fatigued and gave up. If I could turn back time no way would I have let that be the outcome but I trusted my partner when he said don’t lift the heavy things and I’ll take care of the rest. (And absolutely everything else did make it here, heavy things light things, expensive things, things he would think of as junk. The treasure and the trash. All in the new house. Just my my pc missing. It was an amazing feat of shouldering the burden of moving. I’m trying really hard not to let this massive *** up tarnish it because even if he lost the pc he spent 10 days of holiday between old job and new job just house moving, huge job, no rest. )

1 hour ago, 1a1a said:

I’ve asked, repeatedly, I’ve wailed, I’ve gnashed my teeth. 
I too wonder how absolutely no one could know what happened to this thing.
. )

I'm really curious. What did they say when you asked them what they did with the PC?  I mean, clearly one of them handled it, picked it up, put it in a box (or whatever) and put it in the truck etc.  How can they not know where the PC is?  It is really baffling. 🤔

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Have you checked Craigslist?  Local pawn shops?

Somebody took your PC.  

I know you don't want to believe it, but something that big, with such valuable info stored, does not just go "missing".

For example maybe someone left it to the side  and then forgot to load it on/unloaded it but didn't bring it in right away.

Nothing. I have actually never lost anything in a move and I've moved at least 6 times that i can think of.  I also don't leave things in other people's houses or in hotels. 

If something is important, I know where it is. A computer, to me would be important enough to move myself. Other types of things I would move myself: jewelry, keepsakes, legal documents, work materials...  even when I hired movers... there's always things I just don't trust to others because they can't be easily replaced.

Hope it turns up. It's a lesson for next time. 

• Like 2

I’ve looked around the local pawn shops, I’d buy the theory of it being by the car ready to be loaded and forgot. Didn’t find it in any shops but thieves can be real slow to flip. 

I agree with you all how does someone forget handling that?!!! But it’s my partner that would have done so and his minds a blank (and I’ve pushed him a couple of times on the ‘are you suuuure It didn’t break and you’re scared to admit it?!’ He did that once before with something small. But no, he’s adamant. Of course, someone in this world knows what happened). 

my house mate remembers seeing it in the garage with lots of other things that still needed to be moved and that’s the last known location 

gosh I wish theyd put it in the truck. Left it off because they thought it would be too fragile. 

But he did come clean with further pressing. And the pressing was way less (although the thing was also way smaller. And after that i stressed just tell me before you throw my things out so one would hope he took that on board).

I don’t think so, I was the one that did the very last trip for moving things and last bit of exit cleaning. 

• Like 1