What’s the worst (or stupidest) thing you’ve lost while moving

Nay on the holiday decorations or guest bedroom. Although if it wasn’t lost or stolen then it must be placed somewhere very silly. It would be cool to find it again one day. (But proceeding for now with the belief it’s gone). 

Def not left behind I did the last trip, that house was empty of personal effects. 

11 hours ago, 1a1a said:

Nay on the holiday decorations or guest bedroom. Although if it wasn’t lost or stolen then it must be placed somewhere very silly. It would be cool to find it again one day. (But proceeding for now with the belief it’s gone). 

Def not left behind I did the last trip, that house was empty of personal effects. 

Did you do a full sweep of the house including under thing/deep in closets, etc??

With the thoroughness of a person who’s paranoid about losing things *grimace grin*

My housemate works for the real estate agency that manages the house, he likely would have heard of anything was left. 

24 minutes ago, 1a1a said:

With the thoroughness of a person who’s paranoid about losing things *grimace grin*

My housemate works for the real estate agency that manages the house, he likely would have heard of anything was left. 

I’m a little confused. I would absolutely not go with “likely “.  Not with something this important. From what you’re typing I take it you mean sarcastically because I don’t get the sense that you were paranoid. Like others said with certain items you don’t even let professional movers move them. These were your partner and his buddies helping you out right?  I’d ask for permission to do another walk through oe communicate with current occupants. 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:24 PM, 1a1a said:

But it’s my partner that would have done so and his minds a blank (and I’ve pushed him a couple of times on the ‘are you suuuure It didn’t break and you’re scared to admit it?!’ He did that once before with something small. But no, he’s adamant. Of course, someone in this world knows what happened). 

Business partner? Romantic partner? Perhaps the guy from last year?

On 7/25/2023 at 8:09 PM, 1a1a said:

The sheer impossibility of it is why finding other people who’ve experienced similar would take the edge off, I find bad things sting less when I realise I’m not alone in experiencing them.

One thing that always sort of strikes me about you is that you tend to minimize and avoid possible ugly truths by posting something that is obliquely related to the real issue. 

There's nothing 'impossible' about your computer disappearing. One of three things probably happened:

1. Your partner and/or his friends stole your computer
  2. Your partner and/or his friends lost your computer
  3. The computer is actually not lost, but hidden among your other belongings, and will reveal itself once you're fully unpacked and organized.

Two out of three of these possible scenarios involve betrayal, which is pretty ugly. It's good to keep a positive outlook, but are you really just avoiding an ugly truth? Have you seriously (and responsibly!) considered that your 'partner and friends' may be not-so-great people?

• Thanks 1

I have followed up with the current occupants. Add them to the list of people who haven’t seen anything. (Having said that, via the real estate agent. Can’t hurt to visit in person. But not holding my breath. I was there on the last day, the pc, it’s big, hard to miss, that was not. )

I’m not being sarcastic, sometimes I drive around the block in the city to check nothing fell in the gutter when my passenger got out. Just the paranoia manifests much more in checking nothing has been left behind than checking it arrived. (I’m seeing, with hindsight, a gaping hole in this system.)

This is my partner (romantic, same one as last year, it has been going a lot better since Oct, still bad communication sometimes but we’re good at repairing), not some random removal company, I had no reason not to trust him with the move, even my pc. Wouldn’t you trust yours?

On the not great people front this would be the first indication, all of the previous accumulated experiences suggest diligent, decent people. 4th and 5th dumb explanations, someone left the garage door open and it was taken. Someone moved it to the kerb but not into the car and it was taken. You’re not wrong about how all but one of these includes one hell of a let down. 

Your reactions come across to me as odd.  Maybe it's just me.  The sort of "hmm there's a gaping hole in my paranoia" - almost like it's someone else or amusing to you.Or "hmm mayb I should go in person" - really? Why haven't you for this valuable an item??  If it's amusing to you to lose a PC with all that info/files on it then so be it but then why concern yourself to this degree? 

I would trust my husband to move my laptop as long as it was not on a truck -if one of us had it in a laptop case on our person or in the trunk of our car, etc. 

We  travel  a lot and we take items for each other in each other's suitcases which is similar.  No I do not trust him to pack for me as far as essential items -I wouldn't ask and I am better at remembering things/keeping lists/double checking.  About 5 years ago he left an entire stuffed shopping bag of food/toiletries etc home for a family road trip.  I'd pointed out to him exactly which bags should be put in the trunk (his task -I bought and packed up all the items) and he says he didn't remember this/was sorry. 

So from then on I put all bags literally at the door so they won't be left behind.  He too often can't find his keys/credit card.  I'm simply better than him at this sort of thing -not a matter of trust -could he get better -sure - but why bother -we're a team, we each do what we're good at and it's complementary -he's much much better at handling our taxes than I ever could be.

He's much better at looking in every nook and cranny of our hotel room before we leave and checking our home for anything amiss like lights on or the oven on before we leave for a couple of days. For example. 

So I disagree with you that "of course" you should trust your boyfriend and his friends to move an extremely valuable item like a PC when you had a lot of stuff and clutter and they are not professional movers (no I wouldn't let a professional mover move my personal laptop but at least they're bonded/insured, etc).  

Has  your bf offered to search for the PC and what has he done -I know he's sorry and all but when my husband can't find something I do whatever will help him.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 1a1a said:

Wouldn’t you trust yours?

I do trust mine, but the sequence isn't: He is my partner, therefore I trust him.

The sequence is: He continues to be my partner for this many years because he has earned it repeatedly.

He has proven himself to be kind and thoughtful over and over again without exception. Not just towards me, but towards friends, family, and even towards perfect strangers as well.

He has never, ever in eleven years been irresponsible with something he knows to be important to me. If it's important to me, it gets his personal care and attention and that never results in it getting broken or lost.

We just moved house two months ago and the care and diligence that he has demonstrated during this entire move has been nothing short of outstanding.

When he steps up to the plate, he fully commits to the effort no matter who he is helping. His dad is the same way.

6 hours ago, 1a1a said:

I had no reason not to trust him with the move, even my pc.

Of course not. But that doesn't mean you should just brush this incident under the rug. People you trusted may have shown a troubling lack of stewardship when they were supposed to be helping you.

You can argue that they didn't have to help, and that's true. But if they stole your PC (or damaged or lost it and haven't fessed up to it), then they haven't truly performed an altruistic service. More importantly, they don't respect you.

Don't just brush this incident under the rug as ha ha remember when that silly thing happened. Down the line, if you remain with this man and his friends, you may find yourself surrounded by jackals and you will need to be prepared.

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

I am so sorry. I truly feel for you. I wonder what could have happened to it. 

I received the title to my car in December 2022, moved the first of February this year. Received a great offer for my car recently, went to look for it and it's not where to be found. I told the buyer I would go to AAA with them to transfer it since I didn't have the pink slip and they seemed put off and said they were hoping to get title and bill of sale and go take care of it. After that he backed out. I feel like such an idiot, however I know I put it in this binder I keep all of our pertinent and my husband confirmed seeing me do this so I have a feeling in the move one of his friends dropped it and or it feel out since I ended up noticing the lack of care used. Really sucks to lose anything let alone something that could have panned out well. 

Ohhhhh such a small and important thing! That’s extra frustrating it’s absence has cost you this sale.

I think what I learnt from this is unless you check for the arrival of things at the other end there’s no guarantee. (Not that that’s exactly realistic when you’re moving a whole damn house but maybe a hot list of the top 20 most valuable things). 

8 hours ago, 1a1a said:

I think what I learnt from this is unless you check for the arrival of things at the other end there’s no guarantee. (Not that that’s exactly realistic when you’re moving a whole damn house but maybe a hot list of the top 20 most valuable things). 

And use trusted, insured/bonded movers if you have valuables/don't trust movers with highly valuable/portable items (like my friend who unfortunately many years ago checked her laptop in checked luggage and it was stolen)

Hope you are enjoying and settling into your new place!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Batya33 said:

(like my friend who unfortunately many years ago checked her laptop in checked luggage and it was stolen)

Really? That thing stays with me on the airplane in my personal carryon. I don't leave it in my car either, not even to run into a store. 

1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

Really? That thing stays with me on the airplane in my personal carryon. I don't leave it in my car either, not even to run into a store. 

Yes so this was years ago before traveling with a laptop was a thing if that makes sense.  I never would either.

Settled in pretty swell. Still getting use to how much travel time fluctuates depending on how close to peak hour(s) you are but I’m about 6 blocks away from a national park so that part is pretty darn nice. This sure is not the inner suburbs (aint no one can afford to live in those anymore ah hah)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 1a1a said:

Settled in pretty swell. Still getting use to how much travel time fluctuates depending on how close to peak hour(s) you are but I’m about 6 blocks away from a national park so that part is pretty darn nice. This sure is not the inner suburbs (aint no one can afford to live in those anymore ah hah)

I can. I'd never ever want to -you can't pay me enough. I live down the block -less than 5 minute walk - from a jewel of a huge park in my city and it's one reason when I first came here in 2008 -I wanted to live right here. I wasn't pregnant yet so it didn't really have to do with having a family (I wasn't counting on being able to conceive) it was just the natural beauty at our doorstep. As I have told my son for years it's our backyard.  That we share with thousands of people lol.

Yes traffic sure fluctuates around here - we're dealing with that head on for the first time in 14 years because my son is attending a school in the inner suburbs -but otherwise it has little effect on us since my husband typically doesn't drive during peak hours and only a short distance and I basically walk everywhere /take public transit so I can basically time all to the minute. 

Enjoy!!