Was he flirting or just being nice?

So I’ve become quite the Subway client for a while. I usually go once a week or so. Today I went and one of the usual workers attended me. He’s attended me for the most part everytime I’ve gone and he is always super nice. He apologized for taking a while in putting on his gloves. I usually don’t overthink interactions but this one left me curious and confused.

He was making my sandwich and he kept giving me glances. I felt his eyes on me for a bit. It’s usually like this everytime I go, but I really felt it this time around. I didn’t really look my best, so I was just expecting to get my sandwich and go. But after he was done preparing it, I hand him the money. Usually, I’ve noticed that most of the workers use the cashier calculator or just use their head to calcute money totals. But I noticed how he pull his phone down on the table and did the calculations in front of me. I didn’t really think about that until after I got home.

Once I hand in the money, he proceeds to ask what my name was. I told him my name as I didn’t see it being weird or too personal. He then proceeds to tell me that I have a very beautiful name and I said thank you. After that, I get my food and he tells me to have a good day.

I find it bizarre how he asked for my name. It was just us two, and there wasn’t any calls or other orders. So he didn’t really need my name. I checked the reciept, and my name doesn’t appear on it, just the sandwiches and the total money. I know I usually go often, so part of me thinks that maybe he just wanted to attach a name to someone he sees often. But the compliment, I don’t know. He hadn't said anything to me until now. Just the usual "What do you want on your sandwich?" "Do you want it go?" and "Have a good day." Maybe was he just being nice or was he flirty? What should I do next time when I go?

Do they do tipping at your subway -they do at mine and I have a regular one too for many years. Do you tip? Is your question whether he was flirting or whether he is interested in getting to know you better and take you out on a date? Two different questions.

27 minutes ago, littlestrawberry said:

he proceeds to ask what my name was. I told him my name as I didn’t see it being weird or too personal. He then proceeds to tell me that I have a very beautiful name and I said thank you. 

Keep going to the place and start some small talk. Do you know his name?

43 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Do they do tipping at your subway -they do at mine and I have a regular one too for many years. Do you tip? Is your question whether he was flirting or whether he is interested in getting to know you better and take you out on a date? Two different questions.

they do tipping at my subway and my question was whether if his comment was flirty or if he was just being nice to me.

20 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Keep going to the place and start some small talk. Do you know his name?

i didnt ask, but i did notice his name tag, so yes i do know his name. 

2 minutes ago, littlestrawberry said:

they do tipping at my subway and my question was whether if his comment was flirty or if he was just being nice to me.

i didnt ask, but i did notice his name tag, so yes i do know his name. 

I am asking if you tip as often a worker who wants a tip will be friendly. I go to a regular Starbucks once a week or so to pick up sandwiches and if a particular barrista is there he often greets me by name. I tip regularly and I assume this is why he makes a point of greeting me even though all I have to do is grab my mobile order. 
was he flirty ?  Perhaps but even if he was it doesn’t mean he wants to get to know you more or date you. If he wants to get to know you more or date you he will ask for your contact info and call you and ask you out on a date.  

We don't know the answer any more than you do. There's a possibility he can't date customers. There's a possibility he can, and is building a rapport with you. There's a possibility he was in a friendly mood and your hopefulness, since I'm assuming you think he's cute, has you reading more into his behavior. There's a possibility he has a gf but likes the spark of briefly interacting with a cute woman.

If you want him to ask for your number, the next time you go in, if he's not busy with another customer, see if he's just as friendly and you can ask a few questions yourself, like what his name is, and perhaps something else you might be comfortable asking. Many people won't ask another for their number unless they're getting positive signals that the person would say yes. It's hard to be vulnerable.

• Like 1

He was just being nice otherwise he would've chatted more and summoned the courage to eventually ask you for your phone number but I don't know if that's "allowed" in a work environment such as a sandwich shop.  Or, perhaps he was being extra friendly with the expectation of a generous tip.  At any rate, perhaps it's better for him to keep his job and not date customers.  Sometimes management is strict about stuff like that.

I think it's actually difficult to know because most of what he said or how he acted is just politeness and customer service. For example, apologising for taking long to put gloves on. Also some people are actually quite friendly and approachable and that's why they do well working in customer service. And as the others have said, if you're from a country with tipping, some staff go the extra mile to try to get more tips.

If you're a regular then asking your name may simply trying to act grateful for you coming back or trying to build good rapport with loyal customers. I remember going to some cafes and the staff being like: "Hey John!" to a customer, because obviously John went there often.

I think since you go to that Subway often anyway, you could just start making small talk with that guy. You could smile a lot and ask questions. Like, "How's your day been?" "Got much planned for the weekend?" etc. And actually comment on what he's saying and seem interested in his life and what he has to say. I don't really think you have enough information to know if he's interested in you or not. He actually might be, but I think you need to talk more and suss out the vibes.

2 hours ago, littlestrawberry said:

He then proceeds to tell me that I have a very beautiful name and I said thank you.

Based on that alone, I'd say he was unmistakably flirting. Staff is generally very friendly. Especially when tips are involved. Asking for your name is quite common. A guy saying your name is very beautiful is for sure flirty.

He was just being nice and wanted you to tip him nice. He benefits from that as he gained a customer that would always tip him nice. I wouldnt think he wanted more in a situations like that. Lots of people here on Forum come with the same example. How service industry worker was nice to them, how they think about dating them etc. Not one of those examples turned into dating situations. Do you know why? Because service workers are nice because lots of times they live off the tips. Not because they like the customers. In fact, in most cases, its the other way around. They hate the customers and their job. But need to be nice in order to get the tip.

11 hours ago, littlestrawberry said:

I didnt ask, but i did notice his name tag, so yes i do know his name. 

Ok keep getting your sandwiches there and each time you're there and he's not that busy, make some small talk. He's not going to jump to ask a costumer out, but you could enjoy your interaction and that in itself is nice.

• Like 1

It was enough extra attention to open the door for you to make a move on him.  If he wasn't flirting, or was flirting but has a wife or whatever, no harm done.  Go ahead and do it.  Subway guy may be your dream come true.