Can’t Wake Up

I physically cannot get myself to get out of bed in the morning. Even after fixing my sleep schedule I just lay there until I have work or a doctors appointment. I can’t get anything done. I can’t see friends and family, I can’t go outside, I can’t even sit in bed and read a book. I physically cannot get up. Even sit up. And this has been going on for 7+ years. It’s to the point where I know almost every other issue in my life would be fixed if I could simply find a way to wake myself up. I’ve tried changing my phone lock screen to motivational messages or things I want to get done, put sticky notes on my wall by my bed, had my roommate try to wake me up, had people call me… nothing. I simply can’t do it. And I don’t know how to fix it. I so desperately want to because I need to move on with my life and find something to make myself enjoy my time, but I can’t when I waste all of my free time in bed. I don’t know what to do and I really need help.

16 hours ago, xoxoc said:

I physically cannot get myself to get out of bed in the morning. Even after fixing my sleep schedule I just lay there until I have work or a doctors appointment.

Well, it seems clear that you actually can physically get yourself out of bed when you have to. If you can get out of bed to go to work, or for an appointment, you can get out of bed for anything else. At this point, it sounds like depression.

That said, it's more than obvious that you need a full medical check, the works, as you say this has been going on for years. You need to get this sorted and get medical/professional help. The sooner, the better.

• Like 2

You're willing to get out of bed for work or a doctor's appointment.  It sounds like you need purpose to get up otherwise you're not motivated to get up.  You sound bored with your life. 

I love nothing more than to remain in my warm cozy bed.  However, I know how awful I will feel if I wasted time over sleeping or over resting not to mention how sluggish and physically tired I'll feel from too much inactivity. 

Try exercising to get more energy and become a positive person.  Change your diet if you feel "blah."  Get healthy.

The day jams up if you're stuck in time traps such as having your nose in your phone, the Internet, social media and TV.  I've found that whenever I shut off all electronics, I can get so much done during my day.

Whenever I don't feel like getting out of bed and moving, I force myself to get out of bed.  Then when I proceed with my day, I become productive and industrious. 

Change the way you think so you can MENTALLY get out of bed and get a head start with your day. 

You CAN do it.  The problem is you WON'T do it. 

I'm not sure if this helps you but someone suggested this to me when I was a lot younger (early 20s) and it worked. I don't do anything in bed but sleep. When sleep is done, I am out and gone. Save all your other activities and recondition yourself browsing, reading, eating, whatever, in the living room or kitchen or in another room, a study. Exercise helps too especially as a routine.

If that doesn't help, yes, see a doctor if you need help with depression.