Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

That's great! Our weekly farmers market is closed but they are doing pre-orders and pick up. I haven't but what a great and creative idea!

I wish our farmers market were closed to walk-ins and did preorders/pickup only. For some stupid reason, my city thinks that farmers' markets = essential because they sell food so they are in full swing, pedestrians, EVERYTHING. I won't go now because of the crowds. I asked one of my friends about it. She went by with her partner not long ago and she told me it was PACKED with people, walking, everything. She didn't even go in, didn't feel it was safe.

I swear, no common sense. I'm all for farmers' markets being open, just don't think it should be walking traffic like that. Pre-order and pickup.

Butterfly, I'm very happy to hear that your daughter was born and is safe but I am sad to hear about your grandmother.

I wish our farmers market were closed to walk-ins and did preorders/pickup only. For some stupid reason, my city thinks that farmers' markets = essential because they sell food so they are in full swing, pedestrians, EVERYTHING. I won't go now because of the crowds. I asked one of my friends about it. She went by with her partner not long ago and she told me it was PACKED with people, walking, everything. She didn't even go in, didn't feel it was safe.

I swear, no common sense. I'm all for farmers' markets being open, just don't think it should be walking traffic like that. Pre-order and pickup.

Butterfly, I'm very happy to hear that your daughter was born and is safe but I am sad to hear about your grandmother.

No. Way. That's' ridiculous. You know what -I was on my jogging oval this morning -emptyish -totally fine! -and in the park area below the slightly raised oval I saw a cop car making the rounds -I mean I'm not sure why -at 7am it's not crowded and it's a known fact homeless people live there (I mean of course they do -especially now who'd want to risk a shelter?) - but I wondered since I've never really seen a cop car on duty in that situation.

But seriously -of course we want to support local businesses! Does it really take rocket science to do what they're doing here with order/pickup?? I bet the vendors are doing ok with that- maybe better? I do miss the scone lady and her samples though (yes I always bought a few!)

Also from an "emotional" perspective it means that those of us who give a darn have our noses pressed to the glass in a way while these types of activities go on. About a week after the schools closed my well meaning friend a couple of blocks away texted to see if myself and my son wanted to come to her house for a playdate with her two kids. Of course I said no and I know now it sounds shocking she would ask but at least here it was such a sea change over such a short period of time that I guess she figured - ok - it will be 5 of us total at her house, we feel healthy -maybe she'll even get to pee in private while I'm there lol - but I wasn't upset with her. I just said "oh thanks and we're not doing that right now -can the boys face time?"

(And honestly I'd be really surprised if she ended up having anyone over - she did text me for face time a week later).

It IS ridiculous, Batya. And yes, I want to support local businesses too. I've been ordering some takeout food a couple times a week (I usually get it delivered via contactless and then wipe the containers down) and a couple times I've gone to pick up and they run it out curbside. I definitely want to support local business that I like. I'd hate to see anyone go under. But they really need to be doing business safely and that means pick-up/delivery/curb-side with call-ahead or online ordering service.

Lately I've been big on egg drop soup. There is a Chinese place that I've always loved, family-owned too. I feel badly for them especially because with this trash talk of the "Asian virus", I wonder if their business has suffered. So I order from them when I can.

Luckily I haven't had to go out much and when I do have been able to do curb-side pick up (except for the post office for my mail). I've made several styles of masks, but find wearing one makes me feel nauseous and anxious. Wearing a bandana cowboy style, with a small knot at the corner under my chin, is more comfortable, so that may be my mask for the foreseeable future, if I have to go out.

Wouldn't a farmer's market be the same as a grocery store, except open air?

Not really. So at our farmer's market for example, groups of people crowd around small vendor tables and very often you're close to the person selling - no way to distance. Often the vendors pay for spaces so the tables are close together. There is much more contact when paying for items and of course you can restrict samples but many farmers markets depend on people being able to sample the items. Often the space to walk is very narrow between the tables/displays. And, there often are food trucks that pay for space where people line up and then hang around eating. I mean you could change the whole format but that would mean, I bet, telling certain vendors they cannot come or will have a tiny fraction of the space they paid for.

My city has drive through farmers markets. You go, stay in your car and drive slowly past the vendors who have their tables set up at least 6 feet apart. If you want what they're selling you stop and tell them you want 6 ears or corn, for example. The vendors are wearing masks and gloves. People here are lauding it as a genius idea.

I haven't gone, nor have I gotten takeout from any restaurant. I can't see them preparing the food so I would have to trust they're using safe practices. And I have no idea if any of the employees are sick. I can't even fathom trying to bleach clean takeout food containers!

I had a big self pity party this morning. I'm sick of all I have to do to try to keep myself safe. I have OCD tendencies anyway and this has exacerbated them. It literally takes me 30 minutes to just get into the house when I come home from work. My cat meows for petting but I won't touch her until I've stripped down and washed my hands. And I'm adjusting poorly to working overnight. Boo hoo poor me, right? The whole world is going through this, which is what I keep reminding myself.

I need energy to try to work 10 hours tonight on 5 hours sleep. Ugh!

My city has drive through farmers markets. You go, stay in your car and drive slowly past the vendors who have their tables set up at least 6 feet apart. If you want what they're selling you stop and tell them you want 6 ears or corn, for example. The vendors are wearing masks and gloves. People here are lauding it as a genius idea.

I haven't gone, nor have I gotten takeout from any restaurant. I can't see them preparing the food so I would have to trust they're using safe practices. And I have no idea if any of the employees are sick. I can't even fathom trying to bleach clean takeout food containers!

I had a big self pity party this morning. I'm sick of all I have to do to try to keep myself safe. I have OCD tendencies anyway and this has exacerbated them. It literally takes me 30 minutes to just get into the house when I come home from work. My cat meows for petting but I won't touch her until I've stripped down and washed my hands. And I'm adjusting poorly to working overnight. Boo hoo poor me, right? The whole world is going through this, which is what I keep reminding myself.

I need energy to try to work 10 hours tonight on 5 hours sleep. Ugh!

I'm so sorry that this is affecting you this way (fyi -I take the takeout container with a napkin in my hand and serve the food with the other hand or I transfer the food into my container - like the bag of french fries my husband brought home. I do not use any cleaners on takeout containers so that there's no risk of the chemicals getting into the food. I do my best to leave all packaged food aside for a few days until any potential germs are dead -sometimes it's in the hallway in the bag it came in. If I have to use it right away -like the rotisserie chicken I bought -I simply put the package on a piece of paper on my counter and use paper in my hands to open it.

Again I'm sorry -bit of a germophobe too so I get it. I only go to places I trust for prepared foods or takeout. Right now that is two places because the third closed.

The farmers market near where I live are now online ONLY. You can browse and purchase online and have someone drop it off at your house but no interaction.

It must be paid for beforehand via Paylpal, etransfer or credit card.

I cannot believe how careless some places are still being!!

The farmers market near where I live are now online ONLY. You can browse and purchase online and have someone drop it off at your house but no interaction.

It must be paid for beforehand via Paylpal, etransfer or credit card.

I cannot believe how careless some places are still being!!

Same here.

I just got a full refund for a round trip ticket. (leaving tomorrow) All over the website and even the recording while I was on hold stated that there would be no refunds for super saver fares. I was hoping for at least a credit. They had changed my flight to a totally different time of day and added a lay over. There's no way any one would consider the terms they changed it to with or without a pandemic. It was pretty unreasonable.

They couldn't have been any nicer. I had to put my guns down, because I was locked and loaded for a fight.

I cancelled my trip to Mexico.

I was really looking forward to this trip, but chances are I wouldn't have been able to go what with my promotion and being directly involved with opening a new location. I doubt my manager would have been OK with me taking off for a week.

Just as well.

Yesterday I decided to change my mindset.

Fretting, obsessing and stressing and having anxiety over something that is highly unlikely doesn't do me any good. It's basically impossible for me to get the virus because my pant leg brushed up against a shopping cart, or my sleeve touched a table, or my sock touched the top of my shoe. These were literally the things I was having anxiety attacks over! I would have to lean over and smash my face up against my pant leg and breathe deeply in the unlikely event a piece of the virus transferred from the shopping cart onto the pant leg. Why would anyone do that??? It's silly.

I will continue to cover my face, I will continue to practice social distancing (even though at work they are not really enforcing it...) and I will continue to wash my hands thoroughly and disinfect things I bring into my home such as canned, bagged and boxed foods and items. But I won't have a meltdown because I leaned my (sleeved) elbow on a desk.

Hope you all are coping well. And hope the government doesn't decide to be rash with reopening businesses. Things are getting better BECAUSE of social distancing and I can't see how allowing people to crowd together right away is a great idea.

All the talk about opening everything up makes me nervous. I hate this just as much as the next person but anxiety and impatience could be running the show. That and being teetering between saving lives or saving the economy.

There are no easy answers but I can't help but think this time next week the direction will start to become more clear.

Just. . .have. . .some . . patience.

A wrong move will hurt everything.

Is it too much to ask everyone ( depending on where you are) to just chill for a few more days??

My friends and relatives who are pushing to reopen are giving what I feel are not good reasons for wanting to hurry up and reopen. One friend says she's not cut out to be a stay at home mom and home schooling her kids. A cousin says she's sick of having to wear a mask at work (apparently it makes her feel "sweaty") even though she's a grocery store cashier. My other cousin says it's liberal media and politicians reporting fake numbers so that big pharma can profit.

I understand if you're a worker or small business owner who has been forced to stay home with no income and unemployment benefits aren't coming through right away. But "I can't stand to be home all day around my family"? Really?

My friends and relatives who are pushing to reopen are giving what I feel are not good reasons for wanting to hurry up and reopen. One friend says she's not cut out to be a stay at home mom and home schooling her kids. A cousin says she's sick of having to wear a mask at work (apparently it makes her feel "sweaty") even though she's a grocery store cashier. My other cousin says it's liberal media and politicians reporting fake numbers so that big pharma can profit.

I understand if you're a worker or small business owner who has been forced to stay home with no income and unemployment benefits aren't coming through right away. But "I can't stand to be home all day around my family"? Really?

Of course. I have my own selfish reasons for wanting this over too. But as long as there's better than good chance that relaxing restrictions could make things worse, I'm willing to suck it up and stick it out for a little while longer.

And the unemployed and business owners could be that much further harder hit if they insist on being impulsive.

Ironic, as I am watching the evening news now and a beach community north of us is easing restrictions this weekend, while at the same time the weather will be nice, they are pleading everyone to not go out and rush there ??

It's kind of absurd and comical at the same time.

I live in a beach community and while walking around my neighborhood I've witnessed scores of people off loading or loading their bikes from the cars. If you live here, then why is your car strapped to your bumper?¿

I live here. This is my neighborhood. How would you feel if we all caravan to your neighborhood?

Poor Ventura that just announced their opening this weekend. Pray for them.

All in all, I hope my concerns are proven wrong. For me, my family and everyone affected. Word is, tho not confirmed because they are not being transparent, that China had an upsurge when they loosened restrictions.

I guess the only way to find out is to risk it. . .

I just can’t see leaving my country anytime soon.

I was supposed to go over to Canada to visit family soon but that's not going to happen now. I don't even know when the border will be open.

Honestly, at this point, I'm just numb. Yeah, states are going to open up early and more people are going to die. I'm not going to fuss about it anymore. My family and I are committed to social distancing and they get to stay home and I go to work like I've always had to do anyway and nothing changes for us. Just because businesses open up doesn't mean I have to change my routine, start going out again, start seeing friends, start eating in public again. Because I won't do it. It's not safe. I don't know when it will be safe but not for a long while.

I have my blinders on now as well as my mask. The world can burn around me but that doesn't mean I will catch fire. I'm just going to stay at home and try to ignore.

I was supposed to go over to Canada to visit family soon but that's not going to happen now. I don't even know when the border will be open.

Honestly, at this point, I'm just numb. Yeah, states are going to open up early and more people are going to die. I'm not going to fuss about it anymore. My family and I are committed to social distancing and they get to stay home and I go to work like I've always had to do anyway and nothing changes for us. Just because businesses open up doesn't mean I have to change my routine, start going out again, start seeing friends, start eating in public again. Because I won't do it. It's not safe. I don't know when it will be safe but not for a long while.

I have my blinders on now as well as my mask. The world can burn around me but that doesn't mean I will catch fire. I'm just going to stay at home and try to ignore.

I hear ya.

I know the push here is to keep the border closed for at least a while.

I've been keeping an eye on what Trudeau was saying recently. "Many more weeks". So I'm going to put my money on maybe late summer. It really sucks. I'm so used to having all of my loved ones within driving distance whenever I want. Heck, I go to Canada on day trips and it's so weird to not be able to just go over

Whenever I see my family, we do a "grocery exchange". I buy them goods that they can't get in Canada (not illegal, just things that they can't get up there) and vice versa for me. I look forward to doing that again.