Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

On 1/19/2021 at 1:19 PM, Seraphim said:

So I asked my husband why there was pounding on the ceiling while the kids were sleeping. And he said well ,I was pounding my feet up and down while on my conference. I just had to move my legs. 

I said but the daycare kids are sleeping. He said well sorry I just can’t help it. I said that’s why you should’ve told your boss you can’t do your work here. And he said well there’s nothing they can do because there’s the stay at home order. I said well then you’re just gonna have to find a way to keep your feet still because sorry I’m trying to run a business here and I’m afraid you’d be a little more ticked off if there was no money. It’s not just the world according to you. 

Okay here is what I do with my wiggly students. Buy some exercise band elastic and tie it around the legs of a straight chair and the kids bounce their legs on it. All. The. Time.

Another idea- get one of those peddle exercisers that you use while sitting. Like an exercycle, but you have your own chair.

Also, there are smallish treadmills that are made to pull up to a standup workstation.

Good luck through your shutdown!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, luminousone said:

Okay here is what I do with my wiggly students. Buy some exercise band elastic and tie it around the legs of a straight chair and the kids bounce their legs on it. All. The. Time.

Another idea- get one of those peddle exercisers that you use while sitting. Like an exercycle, but you have your own chair.

Also, there are smallish treadmills that are made to pull up to a standup workstation.

Good luck through your shutdown!

We have reached some kind of even compromise where he goes into work some days and is at home some days. But ,yes ,he definitely needs something to keep his limbs busy while he’s thinking. The man is brilliant but if he could only concentrate. He has very little ability to concentrate for long periods. He gets better as he gets older when he was young it was so bad. 

• Like 1

It looks like I might be getting to go where I wanted to go. 

I am just afraid because I need to find work right away. we need both people working to pay everything. 

I also found a great doctor here and don’t want to have to do that search again. I will need to find a new dentist , a new vet. A new pharmacy. And new friends. Although if we’re going where I think my husband has a female friend there that I know. 

On 1/24/2021 at 8:08 PM, Seraphim said:

It looks like I might be getting to go where I wanted to go. 

I am just afraid because I need to find work right away. we need both people working to pay everything. 

I also found a great doctor here and don’t want to have to do that search again. I will need to find a new dentist , a new vet. A new pharmacy. And new friends. Although if we’re going where I think my husband has a female friend there that I know. 

Are you excited?

I'm sorry your husband is struggling.  I'm sure working from home is hard on him!

53 minutes ago, maritalbliss86 said:

Are you excited?

I'm sorry your husband is struggling.  I'm sure working from home is hard on him!

I am and not. I have moved so so often as a kid. I have a good friend here. When I move I won’t have a daycare employee which will be hard and limit the kids I can take because I can’t do it all . I am happy to go to a bigger base and city. Also the family quarters are enclosed there unlike here that is comforting. I will also be an hour and a half closer to my mom and an hour from Toronto. But we won’t know for sure until March. 

My husband has really severe AHDH and he needs tons of structure which the military provides and it is part of why he loves it . Being at home provides so little structure for working . 

1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

I am and not. I have moved so so often as a kid. I have a good friend here. When I move I won’t have a daycare employee which will be hard and limit the kids I can take because I can’t do it all . I am happy to go to a bigger base and city. Also the family quarters are enclosed there unlike here that is comforting. I will also be an hour and a half closer to my mom and an hour from Toronto. But we won’t know for sure until March. 

I'm so sorry, moving is hard!  Hopefully they'll be families who can use your childcare around the base... fingers crossed!

I have been trying to think of what to do for work when I move . If I move I guess. I am not sure I want to carry on with daycare . At the same time I can’t stop working. What does one do? I don’t want to work retail because I don’t want to work nights or weekends been there and done that. My intestinal IBS issues are too drastic for me to not have access to a bathroom when I need it ie , no holding it until your break. That doesn’t work with IBS. When I have to go it is IMMEDIATELY. So any kind of job that controls my bathroom access is out . Unfortunately, that is most jobs . 

The issue with running this kind of business from home is that it takes over your entire life.