Worst job interview I've experienced

Qwerty55

As you all know, I'm on my journey on finding a new job again and I have so many interviews this week.

Today was the worst job interview I've ever experienced

To begin with, the hiring proccess took us 7-8 hours. Why? They made us answer 2 long exams which they didnt even bother checking it. Second, they made us write so much infos on two application forms that can easily be seen at our resumes. Third, they made us go back after lunch for the initial interview. How long did we wait for the initial interview? TWO HOURS. But wait, it doesn't stop there. They made us wait for another interview which took them about 1 and a half hour. After another one, the recruiter made us wait for another TWO HOURS for the final interview.

Finally I was able to go to the final interview. But then the job I was applying doesn't seem worth it. To begin with, the salary is MINIMUM WAGE which is the same salary as a working high school graduaten my country (probably even lower). Second, the interviewer told me overtime is almost EVERYDAY (Monday to Saturday) and usually the position I applied which is an admin assistant will take around 9pm-10pm to go home. The latest would be 11pm. I honestly wouldn't mind if the salary compensates with the time and effort I will give. Another thing is I heard the boss is really strict. The recruiter was giving me tips that talking inside the office is not allowed. Only work-related talking. I can obey the strict rules though but it seems off that it's all work and no fun.

Around 5:30pm to 6pm I was told I was hired for this job and will be giving me time to finish my requirements. My requirements are a lot though like I have to provide government IDs which are mandatory but this one thing surprised me: I have to make my three references on my resumés to make me three recommendation letters. It was my first time to encounter this kind of hiring proccess. Not only it took me hours to wait on their office which can be done within an hour but also they have a lot of unnecessary requirements and exams that aren't really needed by the company.

Anyways, I was thinking of getting this job at first before the interview because it's near to my place and I don't want to judge a company right away based on the recruitment proccess but now I feel like I'm doubting. 80% I'm not gonna take it but I might still change my mind.

Job hunting is hard. Sometimes employers are not thoughtful about an interviewers time. Basically because they don't have to be -they have something you want. I spent way more time than you on my application for my current job. Took me weeks to complete. It was really detailed and thorough. I also spent many hours prepping for the interview and a lot of my own time getting up to speed on new skills I would need once I accepted their offer. Obviously you're entitled to want a certain kind of work environment and that's fine it just might take you longer to find that.

I was a manager for several years. We're supposed to be strict and strict doesn't mean "mean" or inhumane. We have to make sure the work gets done. Work can be fun of course depending on what's going on that day but I'm not sure that should be an expectation. If you like the work you're doing that can be fun.

OP, if you are working with a recruiter, why are you not asking about the position and wage? You seem to be repeatedly going in unprepared. This is a complete waste of time.

Do you have a degree? What type of job are you seeking?

I only ask about the salary once I arrive at the interview itself. They don't mention the actual salary online till you go to an interview or contract signing. Also, as for the job description, it's not fully detailed on some of the jobs I applied online. I don't even ask regarding the wage on interviews because I heard some recruiters would think asking about the wage can make the applicant look like the person who is "only after the money, not experience" considering I am a fresh graduate.

Yes I do have a degree. Specifically as of now, an editor, writer, clerical works etc are what I am seeking

I only ask about the salary once I arrive at the interview itself. They don't mention the actual salary online till you go to an interview or contract signing. Also, as for the job description, it's not fully detailed on some of the jobs I applied online. I don't even ask regarding the wage on interviews because I heard some recruiters would think asking about the wage can make the applicant look like the person who is "only after the money, not experience" considering I am a fresh graduate.

Yes I do have a degree. Specifically as of now, an editor, writer, clerical works etc are what I am seeking

How does that relate to your degree? Secretarial or clerical work is just a job, not a career and do not require degrees. If that's the kind of work you are seeking, then you pretty much have to expect low pay and random hours and needing to jump to when you are needed.

For example, if you apply to be a personal assistant to the CEO, you pretty much need to expect that the job will involve running personal errands, being called to do x or y at random times, etc. It's not going to be a neat 9-5 job and you go home. I kind of agree with Holly that you are going into job seeking while not really prepared and not really understanding even in general terms basic job expectations for certain types of positions you are applying to. You should have some idea what certain job titles tend to entail even if the job description isn't that detailed.

Are you working with a recruiter, or speaking of the people in HR? If it is a recruiter - not associated with the company- you should be asking about the position and salary.

Why are you not seeking a job in your degree field?

Oh god, do NOT accept this job if it is minimum wage, an even bigger no if it's lower than that. As a new graduate you have to often make sacrifices, but pay isn't one of them if they start at minimum wage. Accepting this job is selling yourself short. You have a degree, don't forget that. You paid a lot of money for it.

While you are right you should never discuss money at or during the interview (or with any staff) before getting a job offer, but you can always ask the recruiter. I have worked with multiple recruiting agencies, as well as individual recruiters, and they always have told me the pay rate/salary, usually after I tell them my current/last pay.

At this point, the "research" job seems a better deal, despite the sacrifice.

How does that relate to your degree? Secretarial or clerical work is just a job, not a career and do not require degrees. If that's the kind of work you are seeking, then you pretty much have to expect low pay and random hours and needing to jump to when you are needed.

For example, if you apply to be a personal assistant to the CEO, you pretty much need to expect that the job will involve running personal errands, being called to do x or y at random times, etc. It's not going to be a neat 9-5 job and you go home. I kind of agree with Holly that you are going into job seeking while not really prepared and not really understanding even in general terms basic job expectations for certain types of positions you are applying to. You should have some idea what certain job titles tend to entail even if the job description isn't that detailed.

My basis of the job I'm applying are the obes posted online. I don't really research about all the details of the actual job position but now, maybe I really should

Are you working with a recruiter, or speaking of the people in HR? If it is a recruiter - not associated with the company- you should be asking about the position and salary.

Why are you not seeking a job in your degree field?

I was talking with the HR/receptionist. I found it odd the woman I was talking with is an HR and receptionist at the same time.

I am seeking job in my degree field. I have an interview tomorrow as a proofreader in this teaching online company.

Fix this by insisting on what your salary requirements are to the recruiter and negotiate, always negotiate.

I personally would not accept the job.

Funny story I tried that months ago to another company and the manager told me "you are expecting higher than minimum wage? Then you shouldn't work at all"

Apparently it's seen as "rude" or the chances are lessen to get hired to some managers/HR/recruiters that a fresh grad is negotiating the salary

Oh god, do NOT accept this job if it is minimum wage, an even bigger no if it's lower than that. As a new graduate you have to often make sacrifices, but pay isn't one of them if they start at minimum wage. Accepting this job is selling yourself short. You have a degree, don't forget that. You paid a lot of money for it.

While you are right you should never discuss money at or during the interview (or with any staff) before getting a job offer, but you can always ask the recruiter. I have worked with multiple recruiting agencies, as well as individual recruiters, and they always have told me the pay rate/salary, usually after I tell them my current/last pay.

At this point, the "research" job seems a better deal, despite the sacrifice.

After the horrible hiring proccess and only to find out the pay is so low, the research job definitely is better. The resesrch job actually had MUCH HIGHER salary lol and there's no overtime.

What work experience do you have?

I don't have any work experience other than my internship at a publishing company which I was a researcher there and I had to propose a new educational software for their department. Btw my internship was also awful because my supervisor failed me without any good reasons.

I don't have any work experience other than my internship at a publishing company which I was a researcher there and I had to propose a new educational software for their department. Btw my internship was also awful because my supervisor failed me without any good reasons.

Well, with only a degree and zero work experience you are unfortunately going to have a tough time. You never even had a little part time job in high school? Didn't work at all in college?

One of my kids had work experience AND a degree and is trilingual and he STILL.had to take a minimum wage retail job after he graduated. It took him nearly a year to find a job in his degree field.

I think you need to be realistic about your job prospects, at least for now.

The internship is experience.

Without any reasons or without reasons that, in your judgment, were good reasons?

Archived