girlfriend broke up with me a week ago

Chris12189

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You never had a "real" relationship with her, so you don't even know whether what you are missing is good or not. It's hard to not know what we have lost, I know. At the same time, watch out that you aren't sad just because she walked away and it bruised your ego. Who knows what other reasons besides your drinking problem caused you to detach? Focus on what you are doing to become the kind of person you want to be, and you will be in a good place when the right woman comes along.

i get what you are saying but its her I miss. And she was very clear it was my drinking. She was happy with me except for that.

You are missing my point. I wasn't commenting on why SHE detached, but why YOU did. When you started drinking you stopped caring about her. How do you know for sure that you hadn't already stopped, or that you wouldn't have stopped caring anyway, because she wasn't actually what you wanted. (Despite the strong feelings at the beginning, and then of course strong feelings at the end trying to win her back, leading you to believe so). You were completely absent during the time in a relationship where you actually find out whether or not you work well together. I think you are pining for what you didn't get to find out rather than what you actually had.

You are missing my point. I wasn't commenting on why SHE detached, but why YOU did. When you started drinking you stopped caring about her. How do you know for sure that you hadn't already stopped, or that you wouldn't have stopped caring anyway, because she wasn't actually what you wanted. (Despite the strong feelings at the beginning, and then of course strong feelings at the end trying to win her back, leading you to believe so). You were completely absent during the time in a relationship where you actually find out whether or not you work well together. I think you are pining for what you didn't get to find out rather than what you actually had.

because things were going swimmingly until I started drinking again. I turn into a different person when I am using

because things were going swimmingly until I started drinking again. I turn into a different person when I am using

But that was all of what, a few weeks? Less than 2 months? Everything goes swimmingly in the beginning of a relationship, usually. It's the honeymoon phase, which you two dove into without getting to know each other.

But that was all of what, a few weeks? Less than 2 months? Everything goes swimmingly in the beginning of a relationship, usually. It's the honeymoon phase, which you two dove into without getting to know each other.

You all may be very well correct, but the point still stands that it failed because of my drinking. Not because of any systematic incompatabilities

And of course the big question is, if everything was going "swimmingly", why did you decide it was a great idea to start drinking again?

Of course I get it, you're an addict. Addicts have a tendency to destroy their lives.

You are receiving treatment, correct?

And of course the big question is, if everything was going "swimmingly", why did you decide it was a great idea to start drinking again?

Of course I get it, you're an addict. Addicts have a tendency to destroy their lives.

You are receiving treatment, correct?

Ya I am and its going welll...

I think you should think about her mistakes more. List them out. She isn't perfect. Sometimes she isn't even good. You may forgive; don't be so quick to forget.

I forgave them pretty early on. I do think she has plenty to work on and that she made contribution to the breakup but thats up to her to figure out; I am only concerned with bettering myself, healing, and moving on/reconciling (if in the cards). If we get to a point of reconciliation then I will make sure she has repaired her flaws.

had a nice session with the Therapist. Shes giving me plenty of work and is surprised how eager I am to do it, but it does keep me busy and I love learning how to fix my mentality regarding life. She says its okay to have hope of a reconciliation but at the same time I should put myself out there in the mean time and casually date....that I may be surprised I find someone that better matches me. I honestly wish I did this years ago, I feel like I have more clarity and vision, as well as a better understanding how my mind works and how to prevent self-sabotage. Unlike previous breakups Ive had (coincendentally they all came back) I am actually allowing myself to feel the wide spectrum of emotions rather than just drown it in alcohol or a rebound. While I feel terrible right now, I truly believe that this break-up, when looked back upon years from now, will be a turning point in my life in that either I will be 5x the guy for my next relationship. Whether that is with someone else or my ex remains to be seen

another difficult day. Not sure if this is normal but around 11-12 days I get these urges to call or text my Ex thinking I can rational her in getting back with me......makes no sense as I want someone who wants to be with me not someone I have to convince. Missing her terribly and hope shes doing well with life/trial....but I love the results Ive been getting in the gym and with the therapist....hoping i get the chance to show her a changed me.

Tomorrow Day 14, just feeling sad....hope her trial is doing well as well as her.

I imagine she's fine. Whatever you do, do not reach out and ask her how this trial is going. If she wanted you to know, she'd be telling you.

The sadness is normal. You just have to push through it. Keep remembering that one day it won't feel so hard anymore. It will take a while, but it will happen.

Archived