Best way to approach a girl and ask for her number

Gunners262

Hi, so today at my university I saw an absolutely stunning girl sitting by herself. She was short, cute and beautiful, just my type. The first girl I have seen in a while who I actually felt motivated to speak to. However, I waited too long and let my nerves get the better of me and she left. I am very angry at myself not only for losing her, but also for not having the balls to approach her. However I just wanted some advice on the best way to do this. A girl obviously does not want the guy to just come up and ask for her number immediately, but also does not want him to overstay his welcome. So what is the balance? Say I approach her, introduce myself, ask her what she studies and then ask for her number. Is that too quick, too keen? How long should I talk to her before asking? What are some things to say? Also how does one overcome the fear of the approach (I don't mind rejection)? Do ladies find it weird if a guy just comes up and talks to her?

Say I approach her, introduce myself, ask her what she studies and then ask for her number. Is that too quick, too keen? How long should I talk to her before asking? What are some things to say? Also how does one overcome the fear of the approach (I don't mind rejection)? Do ladies find it weird if a guy just comes up and talks to her?

Well, you'll have to get over your fear and go up and talk to her. Start up a conversation and gauge her interest. If the conversation goes on for a while and she seems keen, ask for her to meet you for a cup of coffee on campus.

Asking her too soon for her number and a formal date without having developed some sort of connection might be too soon.

But you aren't going to know unless you approach her.

I don't see anything wrong with sitting nearby, and just asking, "Hey, how's your day going?" Then you could just say something about your studies, about a class you just had that was rough or a class that you're enjoying and see if she's receptive with her facial expression and/or response. I wouldn't ask for her number at that point. Once the conversation ends, I'd just say, "I'm (name). Hope to see you around." If she was receptive, perhaps she will give you her name and then you can leave.

If she seemed glad about the interaction, she will probably put herself in the same spot and same time on another day and then you can speak more. It's better to gradually get to know a person and to not ask for a number until you see clear signs a person is interested in sharing their contact info with you.

Sit next to her and start a conversation about studies etc. if you see her again. You will gauge interest from her facial expression. If the conversation flows, ask her for a cup of coffee. That's all you can do. By the way, don't struggle to find a pick up line.

I don't see anything wrong with sitting nearby, and just asking, "Hey, how's your day going?" Then you could just say something about your studies, about a class you just had that was rough or a class that you're enjoying and see if she's receptive with her facial expression and/or response. I wouldn't ask for her number at that point. Once the conversation ends, I'd just say, "I'm (name). Hope to see you around." If she was receptive, perhaps she will give you her name and then you can leave.

If she seemed glad about the interaction, she will probably put herself in the same spot and same time on another day and then you can speak more. It's better to gradually get to know a person and to not ask for a number until you see clear signs a person is interested in sharing their contact info with you.

I will respectfully disagree in the parts in bold.

She is sitting there minding her own business. So approaching without a witty remark/ice breaker is kind of risky. Next time i would observe what she is doing, relate to that but be witty or funny. Get some laughs out of her, I would approach with the idea that you need to gauge interest then ask for number. Meaning I wouldn't say my name out right, if you get a positive response from the ice breaker, I would ask her name but don't offer yours. Only tell if she asks back what your name is. Then try 1 more funny thing, and another positive response, I would go and ask but using a cliff hanger. Like "I have to go right now... ....

This way if she gives you her number then great, it was a success and you leave. If she refuses to give number then bummer but you already set up your exit plan so no awkward moment of silence then goodbyes.

Unfortunately due to my Universities size there is no chance to break the ice and ask her for her number next time. I won't see them again unless they are in my class (she was not). So I need to know how to get her number on the spot.

If that's all you have to work with, then you just take that risk I suppose.

Strike up a conversation. If she is responsive and seems friendly, introduce yourself and keep chatting. After a bit, tell her you are really enjoying talking to her and would like to continue another time. Ask for coffee, ask for her number. Either you'll get a yay or a nay - it's a chance you've got to take. Try not to think too much ahead of time, no pick up lines please, and just be in the moment. If she is interested and you click, the chit chat will flow, so it will be easy. If she isn't you'll know pretty quick as you'll get a cold reception and feel it.

I saw this in a movie once....go buy a cheap pre-paid phone and load a few minutes on it. Strike up a conversation, ask about her, then before you leave, hand her the cheap phone and tell her you'll call her later.

That's a guy that definitely caught my attention. I'd be looking forward to that call.

Archived