Addressing Hiring Manager Incorrecrly

Hi,

Need some advice. I am applying for a full-time job with a clerk's office. Currently young adult, working 2 part-time jobs, and in school for Master's degree. I believe I meet and exceed the necessary qualifications for the position (education, experience, software, and passion).

Additionally, I have an in with the clerk. I met her while working elections at another part time job. She told my then boss J she was very impressed. So about 6 months later a job opened up. I was super excited and got to my application right away. I paid such great attention to my application, cover letter, and resume, to the point where I didn't think it possible that there were any mistakes in the content. And there weren't. I looked up the job description to a T and made sure I didn't miss anything.

I sent in the application, resume, and cover letter to Ms. [Clerk] a few weeks ago. Had my former boss J (who is close with her and has had over a decade professional relationship) give a glowing over-the-phone recommendation on the day I sent in the app. J said I would be getting an interview, but I haven't heard back yet.

Well, I was preparing further tonight (that's what I do -- I really want this job) and went over possible interview questions. I additionally set out a plan for studying the software I need to know (I know like 4/5 of the software required/recommended). While I was doing that I was curious and looked up her LinkedIn. Turns out she's got a Ph.D in Communications...

So I called a Dr. a Ms. This looks bad, doesn't it? She responded that she received the app within a day or two. And she signed her first name. In her signature bloc, she didn't list that she has a Ph.D. Though I'm still worried and drained right now -- I put so much effort and heart into that app just to potentially lose out because of a dumb mistake. Did I screw up big time, or should I not worry about it? I know I'm qualified. I just got so drowned in the content of my application that I missed the periphery. Should I email or would that look neurotic? Should I ask J what to do?

Primarily venting, but could use reassurance.

I have several close female friends who have PhD's, and none would be the slightest, teensiest bit bothered by being called Ms. instead of Dr.

Not one.

I wouldn't give it a second thought. I'm sure it's the holidays and they are busy.

As a PhD holder, I don't mind being called Ms in social settings, but it does irk me in professional settings when they should know my title. It rarely irks me enough to correct them though. Ms is actually better than Mrs. My former professor told me that a student sent an email to her calling her Mrs. Smith, and that really irked her - she's a professor so of course she is Dr. Smith.

That being said, I don't think that's the worst thing in the world. Good luck on the interview!!

I never address anyone with a PhD as Dr unless they are my personal MD and even then I usually call them by their first name (except on my first visit). I have worked with many PhDs and not one of them has ever required me to address them as Dr. And to be honest, if someone I was going for an interview with insisted on being called doctor, I probably wouldn't want to work with them anyway.

There's only one person I know who insists on being called "doctor," and she's the most pretentious and all around annoying woman I know. My lady's a doctor. Like... a doctor doctor, as in physician, but even she's never thought anything of it if she's referred to as "Ms." Now if for whatever reason you're in a position to formally introduce this hiring manager for a public presentation, maybe keep a cue card to remind you. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are she didn't even notice.

If I were in a situation (let's say a scientific conference) and I am there with a male peer, and they call him Dr. Smith and me Ms. Williams or just Annie, I would probably speak up, from a feminist standpoint. On its own, I wouldn't mind Ms. Williams, but I would notice the contrast like that if it were to happen.

I really don't think you need to worry about it, and since she signed her first name off on the email reply, you can continue to call her that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived