Wanting to lose 5 pounds in the next 3 weeks

^ I'm sorry but how is eating healthy starving myself?

I'm eating three balanced meals a day, filled with veges and fruits. I consume enough protein from meat/seafood, as well as dairy products and I drink enough water. I also used to do a lot of HIIT and exercise before work and life got in the way. If you're talking actual strength, I probably have more energy than most females. I used to go hiking a lot and can easily walk a whole day without feeling minimally tired. I have a pretty hectic job, and found that my past habits of eating out for lunch made me feel languid and food coma-ed out constantly. These days, I feel alert and energised because I'm consuming better foods.

I don't get this attitude.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would only do the sweet potatoes in the potato family, as the others are loaded with starch.

Personally, I limit my bad carb (bread) to the morning if I am dieting. I do not eat pasta, rice or other grains, during this period.

Eating a balanced and healthy diet is key. I also do 40 mins. of cardio six days a week. You have to get out and move.

I'm going to be adding sweet potatoes into my meals as well. Currently been snacking on a trail mix and eating a good amount of almonds/walnuts or from my fruit bowl lol.

Isn't cardio 6 days a week alittle excessive? I used to exercise an hr a day, but found that it was most effective 4 times a week (for me at least).

I do 30-35 minutes of cardio 7 days a week for the last 7 years and have been doing 4-7 days of cardio since the early 1980s (except for most of my pregnancy) . It is the one thing I know that helps me maintain a healthy weight and in the years I did more than 35 minutes (closer to an hour) it helped me lose weight. In addition, I move around a lot especially in the last 8 years by parenting a young child which is why I feel ok limiting my daily cardio to 30 minutes. Keep on moving and make that your typical way of life -and make drinking lots of water -plain water- maybe sparkling but mostly plain, no artificial stuff - a part of your daily life.

Do you vary your exercise routines (as in focus on different parts of your body) everyday?

Also have you tried bikram yoga? A few of my friends want me to try it with them.

I ended up eating Japanese yesterday and had some chicken ramen, as well as some sashimi.

Breakfast today consisted of a berry smoothie, a poached egg, steamed garlic brocolli and some Greek yoghurt.

Lunch is steamed salmon and a salad (salad mix with chicken and cherry tomatoes.

Will be out for dinner again tonight.

I'm going to be adding sweet potatoes into my meals as well. Currently been snacking on a trail mix and eating a good amount of almonds/walnuts or from my fruit bowl lol.

Isn't cardio 6 days a week alittle excessive? I used to exercise an hr a day, but found that it was most effective 4 times a week (for me at least).

There is a ton of calories in almonds be careful. 206 Calories in 1/4 cup. O.O

Adding: Not to mention ~ 18 grams of fat. (just looked it up).

^ Oh thanks haha. I don't think I'm eating enough of it for it to be a detriment in any way. Almonds have good amount of healthy fats and protein, as well as some fiber, so it's enough for me as a snack. Since I'm consuming less fat, I guess getting healthy fats from nuts isn't going to be bad in moderation.

Starch is good for you in it's whole form. Human beings are starchivores. Starch is what gave humans our large brains. I've lost over 40 pounds eating all the potatoes, brown rice, corn, and whole wheat pasta I want.

When I did the low fat diet and boosted my carbs, I gained. Did not work for me, at all.

Don't do trail mix. Terrible. No dried fruit. They are 50% carbs. And, nuts have a lot of fat and calories. Only a handful a day. Hon, you need to really start reading labels.

Works for me. I lost the weight. This doesn't have to be at the gym, but fast walking, my favorite form of exercise. If it is walking, then I walk five miles.

Do you vary your exercise routines (as in focus on different parts of your body) everyday?

Also have you tried bikram yoga? A few of my friends want me to try it with them.

I ended up eating Japanese yesterday and had some chicken ramen, as well as some sashimi.

Breakfast today consisted of a berry smoothie, a poached egg, steamed garlic brocolli and some Greek yoghurt.

Lunch is steamed salmon and a salad (salad mix with chicken and cherry tomatoes.

Ramen is not good.

^ Oh thanks haha. I don't think I'm eating enough of it for it to be a detriment in any way. Almonds have good amount of healthy fats and protein, as well as some fiber, so it's enough for me as a snack. Since I'm consuming less fat, I guess getting healthy fats from nuts isn't going to be bad in moderation.

Nuts are fattening. OP, if you continue to eat this way, you are going to gain weight. You need to look up calories and fat in the things that you are eating.

Ramen is not good.

]

I actually ate restaurant ramen, not instant ramen (detest that stuff). They use pretty good ingredients as it's not a cheap place (organic and free range ingredients mostly).

Don't feel too bad about it, considering I haven't had pasta or noodles in like 3 weeks, me eating Ramen once isn't gonna be that bad.

Nuts are fattening. OP, if you continue to eat this way, you are going to gain weight. You need to look up calories and fat in the things that you are eating.

I literally eat like a few almonds. I'm sure eating that amount of nuts is barely 100 calories lol. I'll be fine. I know that nuts are high in cals, but it's not empty cals like white bread or rice so eating abit of it every so often won't make me gain.

No, because with my lifestyle the last 8 years (parent of a young child, now also working part time plus) that is the only time slot I have every day and I need a routine so that I can be like a machine - have my clothes ready in the morning, know where I'm going without thinking, etc. When I worked full time and was single, no kids, I didn't vary much but for many years I belonged to a gym so I did some strength training and some classes (but mostly bike or treadmill). This is the best I can do, I do it every day, and I'm in great shape. And as I wrote I am active during most days anyway. I have done yoga and enjoyed it!

I think nuts like almonds are very healthy for those trying to maintain or lose only a little weight. So is avocado -again everything in moderation. I don't do smoothies (except I craved them for my first trimester lol) because I really dislike drinking my calories. I do make them for my son once in a blue moon.

No, because with my lifestyle the last 8 years (parent of a young child, now also working part time plus) that is the only time slot I have every day and I need a routine so that I can be like a machine - have my clothes ready in the morning, know where I'm going without thinking, etc. When I worked full time and was single, no kids, I didn't vary much but for many years I belonged to a gym so I did some strength training and some classes (but mostly bike or treadmill). This is the best I can do, I do it every day, and I'm in great shape. And as I wrote I am active during most days anyway. I have done yoga and enjoyed it!

I think nuts like almonds are very healthy for those trying to maintain or lose only a little weight. So is avocado -again everything in moderation. I don't do smoothies (except I craved them for my first trimester lol) because I really dislike drinking my calories. I do make them for my son once in a blue moon.

Sounds like you are on a good plan.

I LOVE nuts! They are great, but in moderation. I rarely buy them, as I have NO self control They are my chocolate.

I literally eat like a few almonds. I'm sure eating that amount of nuts is barely 100 calories lol. I'll be fine. I know that nuts are high in cals, but it's not empty cals like white bread or rice so eating abit of it every so often won't make me gain.

That's fine but that's not quite what you said when I advised you about the calories in almonds (not to mention trail mix and the salt in Ramen.)

Currently been snacking on a trail mix and eating a good amount of almonds/walnuts
Do read the labels and if you want a quick loss of up to 8 lbs in one week. Eat "White, Orange and Dark Green" as an example: Broiled chicken breast (white) Orange slices (orange) and fresh spinach (dark green) toss all three together with a bit of olive oil and vinegar and the pounds will melt off. Your tummy will even shrink quite noticeably.

Learned that at Herbal Magic and it works.

That's fine but that's not quite what you said when I advised you about the calories in almonds (not to mention trail mix and the salt in Ramen.)

Do read the labels and if you want a quick loss of up to 8 lbs in one week. Eat "White, Orange and Dark Green" as an example: Broiled chicken breast (white) Orange slices (orange) and fresh spinach (dark green) toss all three together with a bit of olive oil and vinegar and the pounds will melt off. Your tummy will even shrink quite noticeably.

Trail mix often has a lot of added salt, oil and possibly sugar - try to eat just plain almonds and raisins you add in rather than commercially prepared trail mix.

Sounds like you are on a good plan.

I LOVE nuts! They are great, but in moderation. I rarely buy them, as I have NO self control They are my chocolate.

Oh! I eat almond butter on toast every day and one cashew or so as I prepare my son's snack -not a trigger for me -but I totally relate!

Trail mix often has a lot of added salt, oil and possibly sugar - try to eat just plain almonds and raisins you add in rather than commercially prepared trail mix.

Personally, I would not do any dried fruit. It is as bad as candy. It has 50% carbs. I had added dried figs, and could not understand why I was gaining so much weight. Raisins can be equally dangerous.

I make my own 'trail mix' haha so I limit the dried fruit and what I put in it.

Since I know most cals is in the dressing, I generally just make a dressing of chilli and lemon juice/vinegar and abit of soy sauce. Don't think the olive oil is necessary for me.

Last night and this morning I ended up doing cardio for around 40 mins including 20 mins of ab exercises.

Felt pretty good! Will try to do this daily if possible.

That's great! You can make it possible - my suggestion is find the same time of day when you can do it, no excuses, and have everything ready as far as workout clothing and water bottle, etc. Keep the routine simple so the emphasis is on doing this 5 times a week at least rather than doing anything fancy or complicated.

Archived