Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What is the weather right now in your city/town/village, Part 2

Seraphim

Joining in on the temperature debates!

20 degrees C here now at 11:30am. We’re a 5 minute walk away from the beach and ocean and cliffs. The coastal breeze keeps things cooler I think I which, is perfect for me! Because I can’t stand the heat either! 

Heard the UK is getting a heat wave. I’ll be closing the wooden shutters and keeping the breeze flowing. Thinking linen, cotton, sheets instead of duvets. I always look forward to the Autumn this time of year.

x

2 hours ago, mylolita said:

Joining in on the temperature debates!

20 degrees C here now at 11:30am. We’re a 5 minute walk away from the beach and ocean and cliffs. The coastal breeze keeps things cooler I think I which, is perfect for me! Because I can’t stand the heat either! 

Heard the UK is getting a heat wave. I’ll be closing the wooden shutters and keeping the breeze flowing. Thinking linen, cotton, sheets instead of duvets. I always look forward to the Autumn this time of year.

x

We hit 41C yesterday. Where my mom is they hit 44C with humidex. It has to be some sort of record for June. Today will be a lovely 23 C and then tomorrow back into the heat wave. 

Do you have AC in the UK? Here people die in the summer without it . 

3 hours ago, Seraphim said:

We hit 41C yesterday. Where my mom is they hit 44C with humidex. It has to be some sort of record for June. Today will be a lovely 23 C and then tomorrow back into the heat wave. 

Do you have AC in the UK? Here people die in the summer without it . 

Sorry Seraphim, I just laughed my ass off when you asked in seriousness if people have AC in the UK 🥲

Do pigs fly?! 

Our weather is drizzle cool wet cold grey central and I LOVE IT! 25 Celsius is mega hot here, hottest it ever gets and only ever like that for a week or two in the height of summer x

14 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Sorry Seraphim, I just laughed my ass off when you asked in seriousness if people have AC in the UK 🥲

Do pigs fly?! 

Our weather is drizzle cool wet cold grey central and I LOVE IT! 25 Celsius is mega hot here, hottest it ever gets and only ever like that for a week or two in the height of summer x

Hahahah my husband’s parents left the UK in 1960 and his grandparent’s  house that his uncle owned I am sure didn’t have it. I remember my FIL saying they even installed a bathroom in the house when he was a teen. My father-in-law was an East Londoner- Sydenham area. Five houses down from him the street was blown to bits in the war and his best friend died. 

Almost all places in Ontario have AC or you would be half  dead otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

Hahahah my husband’s parents left the UK in 1960 and his grandparent’s  house that his uncle owned I am sure didn’t have it. I remember my FIL saying they even installed a bathroom in the house when he was a teen. My father-in-law was an East Londoner- Sydenham area. Five houses down from him the street was blown to bits in the war and his best friend died. 

Almost all places in Ontario have AC or you would be half  dead otherwise. 

I can imagine Seraphim! 

My husbands cousins are in Canada! He is a doctor there in Toronto! They have AC definitely, and a pool.

No, everyone here has a log burner, under floor heating if you’re a bit fancy. Cast iron radiators if you like period furnishings like us! Fireplaces lit in the winter! And everyone only just turned their central heating off about a couple of weeks back!

Original cockneys! Cool!

x

4 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I can imagine Seraphim! 

My husbands cousins are in Canada! He is a doctor there in Toronto! They have AC definitely, and a pool.

No, everyone here has a log burner, under floor heating if you’re a bit fancy. Cast iron radiators if you like period furnishings like us! Fireplaces lit in the winter! And everyone only just turned their central heating off about a couple of weeks back!

Original cockneys! Cool!

x

You guys also get the extreme of both seasons, is that right?

Very very hot summers and very very cold winters? 

The hottest I have ever experienced was Egypt, going to Ciro museum. It was 42C in the desert that day and I was about to WALK OUTTA THERE unbelievably hot for little pale me so anyone who doesn’t enjoy the heat; you have my sympathy; I salute you! 🫡 Haha

x

12 minutes ago, mylolita said:

You guys also get the extreme of both seasons, is that right?

Very very hot summers and very very cold winters? 

The hottest I have ever experienced was Egypt, going to Ciro museum. It was 42C in the desert that day and I was about to WALK OUTTA THERE unbelievably hot for little pale me so anyone who doesn’t enjoy the heat; you have my sympathy; I salute you! 🫡 Haha

x

We can get as hot as 43C with humidex in the summer and as cold as -40C in the winter in Ontario . However usually around -20C in winter in the south of the province . Up north of the province can be eye watering frostbite in minutes cold. Each province has its own climate pretty much . Prairies are dry and hot in the summer and azz bitingly cold in winter. I have seen -58C . BC pretty temperate except the interior. Down East not usually as hot as us but covered in snow much of the year. Newfoundland and Labrador can have snow into June. 
Ontario humid all year round whether hot or cold making things seem far worse . 

25 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I can imagine Seraphim! 

Original cockneys! Cool!

x

Hahahaha when I first met my FIL I didn’t understand a thing he said. My husband’s Uncle I still barely understand because his accent is so thick . 

27 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I can imagine Seraphim! 

Original cockneys! Cool!

x

Toronto is an hour from me. I am an hour North West . 

Ontario is a massive province though it takes about 3 days to drive west into Manitoba and about the same to the farthest North indigenous villages. 

I don’t understand it and can’t fathom it as England is such a teeny tiny island compared to so many other western countries - but my husband told me everyone seems to live in just a few places in Canada - is that true? Because there are huge, vast, wide expanses of land with not a soul or thing there? 

He always loved Canada and always wanted to go back and see that side of his family but I think the flight time put him off and, he was always so busy with work, then we had all the babies close together so I think it’s something he’d like to do in five or so years; and take me and the kids!

I’ll have to ask my husband what part of Toronto! They just sold their house actually! For insane money! I hear the housing market there is nuts and a lot of Chinese are buying places up? A Chinese couple bought their house. Knocked on their door actually, without it being for sale, and gave them a price they couldn’t refuse! Madness!

Ahhh yes the original cockney! Not many of them left in London Seraphim! Always makes me think of Oliver Twist 🤣

x

Ontario is a massive province though it takes about 3 days to drive west into Manitoba and about the same to the farthest North indigenous villages. 

Is Ontario a city? Are you more suburbs or country countryside?

Sorry if I am being dim I don’t know anything about Canada! Shamefully!

x

14 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Is Ontario a city? Are you more suburbs or country countryside?

Sorry if I am being dim I don’t know anything about Canada! Shamefully!

x

Ontario is the province that I live in . The red circled province is where I live . And the size . The province of Ontario is bigger than Spain and France combined and three times the size of Germany. There are about 15 million people in Ontario most of them in the Greater Toronto Area or GTA. The majority of Canadians live within 100 miles of the American border because we have something called the Canadian shield which is some of the oldest rock in the world and you can’t live on it or grow anything on it it’s pretty much impossible. A lot of our country is just plainly uninhabitable. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Shield

7E5DA6FF-F683-4556-8072-A48C8F105C30.jpeg

156B7D47-911C-411B-9BD0-D1B64321348D.jpeg