I had $550 Stolen Within 2 Nights !

jjasmiller

So I'm really stressed and sad. It all started 3 days ago when o came home from a long day at work and fell asleep after my shower. I left my keys on the table and didn't think nothing of it because I never had any problems with doing that. I woke up the next day and found my keys in the same spot I had left them. I got ready for work and went out to my car and noticed that things were in my car that I didn't leave in there. The first thing I did was checked my wallet ( I keep my wallet in my car because I feel safer with it in my car rather than in the house & I will later tell you why), my money was all out of place. I counted it and $200 was missOMG I go back upstairs and question my roommate brother who so happened to be there when I woke up if he took any of my money and he denied it over and over of course so I sucked it up and went to work. So the other night , I brung my wallet and bag in my room instead of leaving it in my car again and another $350 was stolen from my wallet while I was sleep again. I made a police report. And I have an idea of who did ( my roommate brother) but my thing is I'm stressed and sad about the situation. He's been buying things all of a sudden and it's like what am I to do? How do I get over this? I let my roommate what has happened but he's still here

I believe he took my keys and went in my car and stole my money. She hasn't said anything to him obviously because he's still here as I type and it's just getting to me that he's spending my money in my face basically and I don't know how to deal with it

Some things you could and should do. No more cash on you, get it to the bank or leave it at work until you can bank it. Take your bank and credit cards and report them as compromised and get new ones mailed to your work. Buy a lock for your bedroom door and install it then keep your valuables in there with you including checkbooks and banking information. Put a credit freeze on your credit history. Keep your keys and wallet on you, maybe in a hidden money belt or something else, at all times for now and not in your purse. If you can maybe put a nanny cam in your room to film who is coming and going.

And I would pack my stuff and move out ASAP. Let your roommate and her brother worry about how to cover the rent. The harsh fact is your roommate is either not going to confront her brother or possibly she's in on it. And if you feel it's not safe, can you stay with another friend and then get friends to help you move out? Sorry, but twice means either the roommate or her brother or both are now targeting you for cash. You need to get away from there ASAP.

Thank you for giving me all of that information which I really need. I will act on it first thing in the morning. I am just so depressed now and I'm trying to find somewhere in myheart to be at peace with this even though I truly am not at peace. All I do is work and take care of myself and for this to happen really put a strain on me to the point that I can't process this through my mind to be okay with this.

Can you ask your room-mates brother to leave? It was either him or her that took your money. No question.

This is a good point. OP, would you feel comfortable with sitting your roommate down and explaining the situation to her, "I had $550 and when I woke up it was gone. To my knowledge only you, your brother and myself were home when it went missing."

Wow! Yeah, time to get out of your apartment ASAP. Have you thought about getting a small safe to keep your cash in when you cannot make it to the bank? link removed

Also, keep your door locked at all times and hide any other valuables you have.

Yup, good point. Until then, hide it somewhere they would not think to look - like in an old deodorant stick or shampoo bottle. One of the "hiding in plain sight" things. And yes, lock the door!

Yeah, problem is you can't be sure who stole your stuff even tho you have a pretty good idea. Police will be useless too in this situation. Best to get out ASAP. Advice about lockng your door is good in the short term. Whoever is doing this is pretty bold really, that's concerning, would make me want to get out that much faster. You could set up a camera and catch the person too in the act, that might be enough to get them kicked out. And make them a potential bigger problem.

I like the idea of a camera. I would also tell your roommate and the brother something like "A lot of money has gone missing. So I've filed a police report, am setting up a security camera and keeping my door locked from now on." Your not accusing them in this statement. But you are making it clear that you pretty much know who stole from you and that you are now taking procausions.

Don't wait until September when they've cleaned out your bank and left you completely penniless. Leave now, put a hold on your mail so nothing goes there and you will come pick it up, then get somewhere else ASAP. And have friends with you to move, because you don't really know these people or what they're capable of.

I like Moontiger's idea. And you can simply say, "I am not living in a neighborhood where crime happens that easily. I'm gone." Your roommate and her brother will both know exactly why you're leaving, but have someone with you or else sneak out when they're gone and have the truck loaded up. Make a plan, keep your door locked in the meantime, hide all your banking information and like I said call your bank and credit cards. If they got your money it's more than possible they wrote down all of your banking and cards information too.

I know this is all a huge hassle. I'm sorry it happened, but at least now you know to get the heck out of there. And do so now, but stay safe. Don't be alone with those people unless it's behind a locked door with a cellphone in hand.

I told her about what happened and I "thought" she would have had him leave by the time I got home from work the next day but to my surprise He's STILL there . I am truly disgusted and disappointed at how she is handling this. I have to get out of here, that is my only option.

I never thought about these hiding spaces but you have definitely made some great suggestions on where to keep my money. Right now I have it in my trunk of my car in a box that I took my gps I bought out of and put it in the far back of my trunk until I can get a safe

I don't mind moving out before then. I just thought I'd let you all know that I haven't been down here a year yet. I barely know anyone down here and I was doing the roommate thing until I was able to pay a great amount down to move out and not have to worry about my rent and other expenses all at once. But this has crossed the line for me and I have to move out earlier than expected

sleep with your keys on your person until you can change your living situation. And never leave the money in your car, that's just begging a for theft.

Depending on where you live you can deposit money at an ATM. Ahead of time, gte some of those deposit envelopes and deposit aftre every shift. Don't keep hundreds of dollars on you when you are around wretched people.

And keep track of your debit card.

Archived