Will getting a dog help me get a date or a gf?

iwishiknew

I go running at the park and forest preserve and there are a lot people that bring their dogs there. A few times I have seen some guys walking their dogs and some girls will stop and talk to them. I was thinking what if I had a cute dog, will a girl stop me and talk to me because I have a dog? Maybe this can lead to a great conversation and a date? For guys who have dogs, do you get stopped by girls because of your dog?

hahaha, i agree with the others, dont get a dog just to use it to pick up women. how about developing your personality and character instead. Not only would it possibly result in you getting a great partner, but you would also benefit immensely from becomming a better human being overall.

As the other posters have noted, you shouldn't be bringing a dog into your life if you don't want one. If you've always wanted a dog, by all means, get one if you have the facilities to keep it, and it may well help with the ladies, but if not, find something else to spend your money on that interests you, and the women might be where you indulge in that interest. Like reading? Join a book club. Like biking? Join a biking group, etc. granted, those suggestions are maybe easier said than done, but dogs just for women's sake is like the men who borrow a friend's child to have in the shopping cart seat at the grocery store so they can pose as a single dad and pick up chicks. Eew. Don't be that guy.

I'm sure there are some shelters who wouldn't mind another person willing to take some of the dogs for walks! Or even a friend who has a dog because it's really difficult to keep up with all the exercise and play and attention dogs need and love.

You should give it a go and report back with what happens.

Even if it doesn't spark conversations (but dogs often do!), you would have brightened up a pup or twos life.

And speaking personally, I really enjoyed the time I had with my friends dog and taking him out for walks every day. He brightened my day and made the walks differently fun. I'm a woman and I go for walks a lot. Comparing when I am walking alone and when with the dog; certainly did have more casual conversations with all kinds of people when with the dog.

I just wouldn't hang my hopes on it resulting in a date......but to change up in socializing....why not?!

I think grandy just said it ...offering to take dogs in shelters out for exercise ..or if you want a dog for the love and company and not just a walk , here in the uk they are desperate for people to take dogs for the blind in ...puppies who you help train to be ok around social situations and other people/children etc etc ..so it is only for a short time and you have to give the doggy back ..then they are obviously then trained up to assist blind people and deaf people .

I was only stood yersterday talking to a man with two dogs at the lake ..I dont have a dog , but I have a camera hahaha ..we are all kind of in the same group really ..runners , joggers , walkers , photographers ...we are all out there in the open doing something we enjoy and it is very easy to give someone a nod and start up a convo ... this man started talking to me cos his dog was eating my duck food hahahaha .

When I first got my dog, I got him in the hopes of him helping to spark conversations with the ladies. I had the all the things needed to take of him. Over the last two years, we have what I line to call a "Turner and Hooch" relationship. I love that dog to death. Just last week I had to put him up for boarding over night and I was kinda sad that he wasn't there to greet me when I woke up. Like a lot of people said, don't get a dog just to get women.

Years ago I met a couple at a restaurant who had a dog for the weekend because the dog was training to be a seeing eye dog - amazing dog of course and all I thought was that it would be so hard for the couple to return the dog at the end of the weekend! I am not a dog person but if I were dating and met a guy who was helping out in that way I'd be very impressed.

Years ago I met a couple at a restaurant who had a dog for the weekend because the dog was training to be a seeing eye dog - amazing dog of course and all I thought was that it would be so hard for the couple to return the dog at the end of the weekend! I am not a dog person but if I were dating and met a guy who was helping out in that way I'd be very impressed.

I considered it ...thats how I know about it , the blind institute where stood outside a shopping centre telling people what they do ...I was very interested ....however , I have a cat and a precious garden ..my garden is my everything and I felt it unfair to bring a little baby doggy into my house when I would be freaking out with all my plants and flowers ..so I didn't do it . Also george has a heart murmer and he gets really stressed if you make a loud noise , so god only knows what a puppy would do to him .

Having a dog will help you learn to socialize in general, with everyone, so this is a plus for you if you are shy. I have a dog (who happens to be the cutest puppy ever...in the history of puppies ;-)) so I get stopped all the time when I walk him or take him to the dog park, because everyone want to pet him and talk to me about him. Like others have said, don't go into it assuming that chicks will be all over you, but rather with the mindset that it will help you become more comfortable with socializing, which will help you to feel comfortable talking to women without having the dog present.

I go running at the park and forest preserve and there are a lot people that bring their dogs there. A few times I have seen some guys walking their dogs and some girls will stop and talk to them. I was thinking what if I had a cute dog, will a girl stop me and talk to me because I have a dog? Maybe this can lead to a great conversation and a date? For guys who have dogs, do you get stopped by girls because of your dog?

OP, I am not really the best advice giver in the world on dating. But for the love of god, do NOT get a dog just because you want to pick up girls! That's terrible! Dogs are awesome, they are like family. My dog treats me better than people do. They love their owners and they need to be cared for, fed, and taken to the vet for yearly shots and checkups. You should get a dog because you love dogs and want one, and you are in a position to take care of of it and treat it well. Not as a ploy to pick up women. Dogs are smarter than you think, too. The dog will probably know you are using it to pick up women.

Also, I have a dog, and it has done zero for me in the dating department. If women see a dog, they go to the dog and not the owner. Having a dog does not magically make women like/want you more. Even jerks can be dog owners. Why do you have to have a dog to approach women who own dogs? Your post makes no sense. I am against you using sheltered dogs for this reason as well if you were volunteering at a shelter or something. You should help dogs and own dogs for the sake of the dog, not to pick up women.

I think it's fine if he wants to volunteer at a shelter with ulterior motives as long as he works his tail off at the shelter. It's not like he's taking responsibility for a dog in his home. The downside is that unless he meets a woman with the same ulterior motive (hmm good movie idea) then he's going to have to have that awkward conversation when she realizes he's not genuinely a dog lover.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get a dog. Get a pig. Stand out from the crowd.... Nah in all seriousness please do NOT get a pet, if it is for the selfish reason for picking up women. As soon as I'm in a better situation, financially and mentally, I would love to get a pet. Either a dog, or a pig. Seriously, I have the pig's name all picked out and everything. He's going to be called Mr. Pigglesworth. Or Piggles for short.

If I were to get a dog, I think I'd like to get one from the pound, and give them a nice, loving home. Those youtube videos were volunteers find those homeless dogs, and care for them and find them homes, always makes me cry.

Archived