Should I take a travel position or stay put?

jennylove

I'm 35, single female, no kids. I live in a small town in a beautiful cape cod that I almost fully own. I love that I live near my family and I love my house very much. I've had a rough couple years with dating. I'd love more than anything to settle down, but I don't sèe that happening antime soon. I have an opportunity to travel for my job around the United States and I think it may be a good thing for me to do over the next two years. It pays slightly better than my current job and I'll be at each assignment for approx 6 months. I currently live in Illinois, but if I take the job, I will get to live in Alaska, New York City, boston, and Los angeles. I'm worried that I will get lonely and homesick. Ill be by myself and since I won't have a car in these major citie, I will have to pack the bare minimum. Is this type of lifestyle healthy for an old lady like me? Am I better off staying im my home and trying to find love here and settling down?

I would be inclined to do it, but the part about no car bothers me. Why would you be without a car? I think I would ask your potential new employer to provide you with a car. For me, the no car part would be the dealbreaker for me. I would think that your potential employer could provide you with a leased car for the duration of your time at each location. It would not hurt to ask. chi

Thanx everyone! I am leaning more towards yes. I mean, how often does someone get to live in NYC for free? I know the car part sounds crappy, but like mhowe said, parking will be a nightmare and expensive. And apparently in anchorage, renting a snowmobile when needed is common and zip cars for the other places. My job will house me near my job site so I won't have to worry abt a long commute. I guess I don't have much to lose. I do worry about my mom tho . I'm the child that helps her with home projects and get her out of the house. She is not an invalid, but she is somewhat codependent on me.

So there is absolutely no reason to own a car in NYC. Old lady? Pah-leeease, your job will be to do your job, and get out there, make new friends and just have fun exploring each city. Each one is very different has a lot to offer. Also you can use each location to do day or weekend trips to visit more. For example, from LA, you can go to San Diego, Mexico, Vegas, Santa Barbara, Mammoth, San Francisco, not forgetting all the things you can see in LA.

Your mom will be fine. If you are ever feeling lonely there is a lot of social groups online meeting up all the time. I jump on those when I travel, and want to have a different flavor of the city besides just meeting up with friends. I did it last weekend and had the time of my life

Sounds exciting!!!

I'd love to do something like that myself. Really close to your age too. And in a similar position - no kids, no spouse, family all here and a home and environment and comfy cozy set up all around. Just no big job offer so ripe like this on my table like you!

But yeah...what is there to lose? And a lot to win. You can always go home later again. It'll be there.

Do it! Its an open door waiting for you to walk through. On Forbes' recent list of 13 things mentally strong people avoid, several apply here: "shy away from change", "give away their power", "worry about pleasing others", "fear taking calculated risks", and maybe "make the same mistakes over and over".

From a career perspective, establish a regular schedule to get face time with the home office, your team, your boss. I go to my HQ office once a quarter, and my boss comes to me at about the same frequency. We are new to one another but it seems to work well for protecting me from getting too distant.

NYC is a blast, especially when you have the luxury of thinking of it as a stop-through without the pressure of having to settle, buy, commute, manage kids and schools etc. I have many friends who stopped through and never left.

I have lived in LA most of my life and I can tell you that you will want a car in LA. The public transportation system in LA is not good and if you plan to visit all the places mentioned you absolutely need a car. I think the public transportation in New York is good from what I hear. I don't know about Boston and Alaska is another story all together. I would ask for an allowance for a car rental in LA for sure. As I previously said, it does not hurt to ask. Just looking out for your best interest. chi

I think you need to decide what your main goal is, eg, is it to settle down and have kids, career, travel etc? I'd base my decision on what my overall goals are. You'd be 37 when you get back. Having said that, life happens and in some ways you have to go with the flow and always remain 'open'. I say sleep on it and see how you feel in a few days.

Archived