Weird things in the opposite sex that turn people OFF

quirky

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, everyone's stolen mine, haha!

Quirky, you and I are thinkin' alike again!!

if a man is too clean: shaved and smelling of cologne

if he's very well dressed

if he comes accross very confident and sociable

if he seems very successful/has lots of money

GREAT list, I concur completely. But I could afford to bend this a bit: if you put him in the somewhat wrinkly clothes, the slept-in look, slightly tossled hair, and gave him quiet confidence (not the extroverted kind), I'd be fine with the rest.

I would also say that if he morphs into the suit and tie/well-dressed look JUST for a formal occasion or work (if that is the required dress code), then goes back to being Cinderella, THAT is a turn-on. It's mostly a turn-off when it's worn as a choice, anywhere.

Overdressing on any occasion.

More good posts:

Very handsome men.

White socks.

Expensive ties.

Check, check, check.

I guess you could say, the clean-cut, POLISHED look, PERIOD.

Also, someone said blond hair, check. And blue eyes; the lighter, the harder to deal with.

So a few others:

Having the type of sense of humor where they're habitually putting you on, they're playfully tricking you and then saying, "Nah, nah! Just kidding" once I believed a story they told me. Fooling people is not my idea of good humor -- it's for guys who aren't creative enough to be really funny.

Men who say, "namaste"

Related to the above, men who are vegan (basic vegetarian is okay, but you better be low-key about it)

Related to the above, men doing yoga, especially when it's just one of many martial arts; men who take too many t'ai kwon do, aikodo, etc. classes

Actually, men who are overly into their fitness and athleticism altogether; being into healthy exercise to stay in shape, great, being a "fitness buff", NO

Men whose hobbies all revolve around outdoorsiness

Tall teeth

Being really tan (unless it's part of their natural skin color)

Men who walk with that side-to-side shoulder swag gait that looks tough; funny thing is, if it's mild/subtle, it's a turn-on, but if it's pronounced, big turn off

Any hair removal besides basic face shaving

This current fad of hairstyle where there's all this greasy, sticky product in the hair that makes the hair look like a bed of nails which I can see your scalp through (see Don Jon)

Very short hair in the crew or executive styles, shaved heads

Soul patches -- leaving a tiny landing strip anywhere on your face

Smiling too much

- designer handbags

- those jeans with sparkly stuff bedazzled on them

- belief or interest in astrology

- talking constantly about nothing

- being really into sports

- smoking

- cocaine

- purse dogs, and taking them with you everywhere

- tattoos

- flip flops

- talking/texting during movies

- tanning

- clothes with logos on them

I have some more:

1) Women who speak so that everything they say sounds like a question. OMG...it's like nails on a chalkboard. Please go! (Ironically, I've never encountered a guy that did this)

2) Women who are foodies and are snobby about it (I guess this is similar to annoying vegan/vegetarians)

3) Too much perfume. Actually, I don't like perfume in general. You'd better smell good without it.

4) Too much playing with their hair (it loses its "effect" after a while)

5) Putting on makeup in public (this just angers me, I don't know why)

oh yay, this thread is great.

So I'll chime in hehe

Men with really long hair

Neck tattoos (I don't mind a few tasteful well-thought-out tattoos on a normal body part like arm, back, shoulder)

Facial piercings. Or piercings in other areas...ugh

Men who wear rumpled clothes that looks like they picked it up off of the floor--unless there is a good reason like they are cleaning out the garage

Men who smell like they picked-up their rumpled clothing from off of the floor

Men who drink to much, to often

Wear axe body spray, or any cologne.

Are militant vegans/vegetarians and tell me I am bad because I am not one

Men who just eat poorly in general

Feel that being around a small dog will make them look "sissy" (I have a small dog)

Don't like pets or animals in general

Wear white sports socks with suits and dress shoes

Wear sweatsuits when it isn't appropriate

Wear pants that hang below their bums

Have patchy facial hair, or a sketchy looking mustache

Wear too much jewelery, or any jewelry

Wear glasses that look hipster-ish

Dress like a freaking hipster

Have yellow teeth

Smile too much--especially if they have yellow teeth

Wear baseball caps backwards

Men who call hair gel/pomade etc. "Product"--unless he is a hair stylist.

Men who use the aforementioned "Product" in their hair

...Ok that's all for now...but I bet I will have more later

Women who speak so that everything they say sounds like a question.

So true!! I can't get my head around that. I feel that I sound too serious and monotone nowadays.

Also people that answer the question 'what are you doing with your life?' and they say 'living it'. Yeah...while the rest of us are wasting it. People that are too happy clappy. I believe they are in denial.

Another vote for vegans and yoga lovers. Something about it in a man puts me off. Too much tranquility. I also don't like it if he burns incense sticks.

So true!! I can't get my head around that. I feel that I sound too serious and monotone nowadays.

Also people that answer the question 'what are you doing with your life?' and they say 'living it'. Yeah...while the rest of us are wasting it. People that are too happy clappy. I believe they are in denial.

Another vote for vegans and yoga lovers. Something about it in a man puts me off. Too much tranquility. I also don't like it if he burns incense sticks.

Aw, I like yoga dudes, lol. They're so rare! Sting does yoga, and he is pretty sexy

I can't stand men that are super stoic. With no facial expressions, can't show any emotion, try to look tough all the time. It's such BS.

Guys with mullets

Guys who watch 'rassling'

Guys who have...or have ever watched Dukes Of Hazzard..and had to have it explained to them.

Guys who call women 'chicks' ...

Guys who wont wear anything other than jeans, and harley t shirts... (These are ok on occasion but not an everyday basis.)

Guys who constantly comment on how how hot or 'homely' a woman is...rather than her merits as a person.

Women who are too perverted too soon. I got some; "i like when i guy pleasures himself into my drink..." and "will you let me suck it later?" all on first dates.

Girls who lean to an extreme tomboy or feminine type.

When women tell me to do something when i hardly know them- that really gets me mad. I hate the "take off your hat" and "will you stop wearing boots for me?" I always respond with a no and just completely wreck the mood and flow of things.

The girl i am seeing cracks her bones, including her neck. That really turns me off and freaks me out. I keep trying to stop her from doing it, it doesnt look healthy at all.

Guys with mullets

Guys who watch 'rassling'

Guys who have...or have ever watched Dukes Of Hazzard..and had to have it explained to them.

Guys who call women 'chicks' ...

Guys who wont wear anything other than jeans, and harley t shirts... (These are ok on occasion but not an everyday basis.)

Guys who constantly comment on how how hot or 'homely' a woman is...rather than her merits as a person.

Agree 100% with all of this

I like guys that ride horses (because I ride horses) but I don't like it if they identify as cowboys. If they wear their boots or hats outside of the barn, forget it. Not cool. Or if they have that cowboy persona in everyday life, bleh

A few deal breakers for me include:

1. Guys who come accross as overly confident and pompous;

2. Not big on piercings and tattoos (eek!);

3. Someone who is caught-up with material things (yikes...this is so superficial);

4. Tight shirts and jeans (this makes me want to run in the opposite direction);

5. If they don't like animals;

6. If they constantly talk about themselves (aka: narcissists!);

7. If they are inconsiderate (instant turn-off! This may go hand-in-hand with #6);

8. Negativity;

9. If they take longer than me to get ready for the day/evening (and I don't take long);

10. If they're overly quiet (I love a good conversation!).

These are just to name a few.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more as the night goes on...

Women who are too perverted too soon. I got some; "i like when i guy pleasures himself into my drink..." and "will you let me suck it later?" all on first dates.

Incredible. Really wish I had the guts to say stuff like that. I wonder what goes on in their head.

Just thought of another one

If a guy thinks Coldplay are experimental. Or if he likes Oasis.

If his eyes light up when he asks "do you like karaoke?".

Status seeking and materialism. I couldn't be more bored.

Dumb. I wouldn't mention this except that it isn't a given; some people have no problem with dumb, even find it a turn on.

If he takes a lot of the stories, opinions, or differences that other people express and makes it into a political lecture for people. I like political consciousness in a man, and I like a man with opinions. But it is a turn off to me when everything that is happening becomes another way for him to express how he doesn't agree with racism, or borders, or seeing people's differences, blah blah blah. How about addressing the issue at hand? Or just letting someone else talk sometimes?

Guys with excessive national pride. Especially a turn off when you are covering yourself with the flag with clothing, or with tattoos, it's in your car, it's coming out of your mouth, and you have a rivalry with other countries (either with sports or in general) based on your heritage. Bonus points: you weren't born and raised in that country. Extra bonus points: you are misinformed about what you are so proud about.

Agree with happybear; especially 'urban' cowboy identifiers.

Actually a big one to me....men who won't walk. Drive everywhere. And I mean, everywhere. If you can't exist without your car, or if you look down on having to take a bus or some other form of transport once in a while (don't care if it's a bike, your feet, even a cab) then that turns me right off.

My list:

-Guys who are super muscular or WAY too into 'going to the gym'. NOT interested.

-I also don't care for guys who wear the oil/product in their hair. Natural hair please!

-Guys who seem to think that they need to 'protect' me from teh world (telling me I should/shouldn't do something 'for my own safety'.)

-Guys who come accross as arrogant and/or feel the need to point out their accomplishments ALL THE TIME

-Guys who think they can learn a few words in another language and then embarrass themselves by attempting to order from the menu in that language.

-Guys who are too uptight to dance/let loose

-Guys with bad teeth.

-Smokers

-Guys who refuse to educate themselves on contemporary issues. I hate ignorance.

-Guys who don't read/engage in popular culture

Incredible. Really wish I had the guts to say stuff like that. I wonder what goes on in their head.

Well, to be fair, they were online dates who i spoke to for days and weeks, so i wasnt just some guy. But, it was our first date, and i never bring up sex, they literally went from, "yeah, so i bought a new car" to "can i suck it later?"

Heres another thing that turned me off:

When someone acts like they are a certain ethnicity when they are not. I was seeing this beautiful camboadian woman, and everything was going fine until she started using spanish words for no reason. I knew she liked latin men, but i felt weirded out with her saying, "so papi, do you want to go somewhere else, por que this place is getting packed, amor!" I was like... huh?

Actually a big one to me....men who won't walk. Drive everywhere. And I mean, everywhere. If you can't exist without your car, or if you look down on having to take a bus or some other form of transport once in a while (don't care if it's a bike, your feet, even a cab) then that turns me right off.

Oh good one, I can't stand this too.

If he takes a lot of the stories, opinions, or differences that other people express and makes it into a political lecture for people

Extra bonus points: you are misinformed about what you are so proud about.

Oh my, this really gets me too. I lose respect SO quickly for a man that regurgitates information and has nothing to add when I challenge the conversation. I assume that is a turn off for everyone.

Also along the not walking I don't like someone that never recycles or throws rubbish on the street but again I reckon that goes without saying.

I knew she liked latin men, but i felt weirded out with her saying, "so papi, do you want to go somewhere else, por que this place is getting packed, amor!" I was like... huh?

I had a guy do something similar, speaking half my language (his parents were from my country) half english I was totally lost and turned off.

Also on language I am shocked as to how many people think they speak a language. I had 2 certificates in 2 languages before I felt comfortable to say I speak the languages.

Archived