Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Well I thought I would get back to my students but one person is out due to surgery, one of the teacher's mom died and another teacher's dad died. Then one of the teachers had to take her husband to an appointment because he had a stroke.

So they put me in the kindergarten this morning and another class this afternoon. Phew!

I put two first grade girls in a group together and they both told me they aren't friends. So they each walked down the hall in a huff but I told them that everyone is friends in my room.

Once they got there, I got them both giggling about something and then one of the girls said "Well maybe we can be friends in this room only" and the other one agreed. And they went giggling together down the hall back to class... Too cute!

It's spring here- the birds start to sing very early, and they are gathering things for their nests.

The crocuses and daffodils are up.

In the past few days I have seen the beginning of buds on some of the trees.

I think we have to change our time this weekend, which is annoying.

I do love the longer days and more light!

My cold is getting better, although I still have quite a bit of congestion. I felt pretty good at work today but was quite tired at the end of the day.

My ex wanted me to take our son to a class tonight, which would have meant I would have to feed him dinner and drive him out to the country on a day that he is supposed to be at his dad's. I declined- because I was so wiped out. His dad was annoyed with me, but I had noticed it was becoming a pattern of expectation so I told him last week that I would rarely be available to help with that. I dislike the expectation and no offer of extra money to offset the costs of extra food and gas to cover expenses.

I did see my son at school today so I got a hug.

Today we had a lockdown drill and I was responsible for keeping everyone in my area "safe". I did pretty well- just forgot one little part I was supposed to do.

Afterward we had a conversation about how we all did. I told them that if we are ever in that kind of a situation them it is absolutely crucial that they be quiet. But it can be boring and difficult to stay still and quiet for so long. I told them to find a way to amuse themselves silently in their minds.

So sad that we have to touch on such a serious subject with these kids. But it is really important that the kids know what to do if it should come up.

The office administrator asked me how I felt about going halftime soon- I have about three weeks left of fill time. I am looking forward to working as a team with the person whose job I am covering. I think we work well together and we complement each other's skill sets.

I haven't heard anything from my supervisor yet, and they are paying for me to go to a workshop in a few weeks. So they must be intending on keeping me around at least some.Since I am there because someone is out on maternity leave, there is always a chance that she will decide to stay home with the baby more. Maybe that is wishful thinking on my part. I really love this job!

I will know more after this week- the new mom will be bringing her baby in and will meet with my supervisor to let her know what the timeline is.

My older son texted me- he is really doing poorly in his classes and is worried about failing.

He has not been taking any ADHD medication this year and never got organized to get to a doctor to get some. So now he is tanking and I am concerned. He has so little energy that he asked me- pleaded with me- to call a doctor and get an appointment lined up.

I will do that. But I also told him that it would not be the end of the world if he failed . It would change his life, yes, but he would be fine in the long run. However he would likely lose his scholarship.

And I told him I loved him. He sounded so desperate.

For some reason I am still wide awake- and I have to get up for work in a matter of hours.

Today it got up to 66 F and so it really felt like spring.

The stray cat that had adopted us as his family has not been around. I was wondering what happened to him, because he has slept indoors here all winter. But he must have spring fever, because he showed up briefly this evening and greeted me then ate some food and was out the door again in a jiffy. I suppose there is a lot for him monitor with all of the spring activity going on, lol...

Today I called my son's old pediatrician to see if they could give him a prescription for one month just to carry him through until he can get set up with new primary care doctors.

I had to do it via message because the nurse and doctor were busy with patients but the only time I could call was on a break, and I had to walk up the street to use my cell, since there is no cell coverage in the building.

But they came through! I received a message just as I was leaving work that the prescription was waiting for him at the front desk. So I dropped by his dorm on the way home and got him to the docs to pick it up, then on to the pharmacy, and then back to the dorm with the meds. He ended up being 15 minutes late for a class, but it was worth it.

Hope it helps him focus for the next few weeks.

I haven't heard officially about the plans for my temporary position, especially since my supervisor is caught up in some pressing meetings this week. So I have had little opportunity to talk with her.

But oddly, I heard from a student that I will likely be working in the mornings after spring break, and the other person will be there in the afternoons. We'll see if that is how it plays out...

That's so good you were able to help your son out like that.

LOL the cat- well it wasn't until I was moving out of G,.'s that Ilearnt my siameseXburmese was being treated to a second home and family next door for a long time and they even used to let her sleep on their bed.

LOL the cat- well it wasn't until I was moving out of G,.'s that I learnt my siameseXburmese was being treated to a second home and family next door for a long time and they even used to let her sleep on their bed.

Yes, this cat us technically not mine. He originally belonged to a college age girl that lived behind my house on a different street. The cat adopted my house last year, but has also bonded with the next door neighbors.

He came in tonight and had fun chasing a string around the house.

Well we have the time change tonight so I changed all of the clocks ahead already. I'll feel it in the morning and will likely encounter some grumpy students on Monday...

Went for a hike this morning and although it was overcast it was warmer than it has been- around 50's. Spring flowers are out already and we saw lots of white trillium blooming in the woods.

Then I slept the afternoon away- just was really run down by my virus this week. I had much to do at home but I will have to do it tomorrow...

My son got into a good program for high school for next year. I am excited for him- although he really wanted to get into a different high school but he didn't. My youngest - going to high school! Sheesh!

I LOOOOVE Trilium! They grow in the woods up in Wisconsin. (North of here....and by Dan's) Years ago, I had a cousin who lives in the woods in Wisconsin, dig up a patch, and i planted it in my yard. It never multiplied much, but it was such a pretty clump in the spring...for about 15 years.

Then i dug it up and took it to Dan's.

It's a 3 petal white flower (hense, tri...lium) and then the white gradually turns to pink. Sooo pretty. There is also another type....taller and pink. I also took that to Dans. ugh

My son is using the computer for his current events homework - otherwise I would post some pics for both of you.

It was a very nice surprise to see that spring has come into the woods.

We had so much tree damage here from the freezing rains and snow and winds so there are broken limbs all over the place. But somehow trees are beginning to bloom too - the pink flowering plum trees and the pink cherry trees will be next.

Crocuses and daffodils have already been out for a bit.

However, it has been pouring down rain here for the past few weeks. Typical spring weather...

And we need the rain because we were heading for a drought. What we need most is snow pack up in the mountains, them when it melts during the summer we have a ready supply of water.

My virus is almost gone now - just a sniffly nose and a few coughs here and there. I slept a lot this weekend- something I really needed.

I have been setting up a spread sheet on the new national requirements for what students are expected to know for math. Now that I have given the assessments I have found the areas needed for each student but it is hard to figure out who goes in what math group. So I decided to do a spread sheet. It is astounding how much the students are expected to know with these new requirements.

But I think this will be helpful to the students I am tutoring.

They are sending me to a district meeting this week- so it makes me think that they are planning on keeping me around - otherwise why bother!

I still won't find out until this week what future my job holds- depends on when (or if) the person comes back to work.

We will see!

Yay! First night this week that I don't have any meeting or multiple meetings between my son and me. Feels good just to be home!

Yesterday I went to a training workshop and my supervisor went with me. She was going to meet with the person out on maternity leave afterward so them I would know if I will be working full time or half time after she comes back.

My supervisor was out today but I did hear informally that I will be halftime - I told the person I will be sharing the job with that I am looking forward to working with her as I am sure she will be able to teach me a lot. She looked worried, but hopefully it is because she will have two halftime jobs and not that she is worried to be working with me!

My supervisor did tell me yesterday that I am doing a good job so that was nice to hear!

Oh my goodness! They are cutting down a humungous cedar tree a few houses up the street and every time they cut a new piece off then they let it fall to the ground. It makes my house shudder and feels like it hit my house but it is really up the street!

That's how big those logs are...

As school started up yesterday, there was a dog shut inside the playground fence, so they had to bring it inside to the office until animal control could come. Which of course took a couple of hours. So all of the kids who usually end up in the office ended up in my area- sick kiddos, behavior issues, kids that needed to do their occupational therapy exercises, etc. it was a full house and an interesting day! Finally out of desperation the office administrator took the dog on a walk and found the owner who lived behind the school...

My supervisor said that I will be in charge of preparing all of the lessons for all of the students but I will do the lessons in the morning and the other person will do the lessons in the afternoon. In the morning she has to teach in the other classroom and so she will have those lessons to prepare.

Wow, I hope I can prepare good lessons for her! We have different teaching styles... Fortunately I have worked with her before (temporarily) so I think we will be a good team.