Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

My son went camping with the scouts this weekend and he will be home this afternoon. Currently it is POURING down rain!

He has great rain gear including rain pants, a very rain worthy tent, and I even sent a canopy along. Everything is going to come home sopping wet! But I am sure they had fun- yesterday was really nice.

I stayed up late creating answer keys for some of the math packets the principal sent home to all of the upper grades. Just various math operations that kids need to know before state testing.

One question on there took me a long time to do- finding the area of an irregular polygon. And this one was really irregular, so I couldn't easily break it down into triangles and other regular shapes. I was stumped!

I never did like geometry... Anyhow, I finally Googled the answer and voila! I had forgotten so much of math at this level! After all that, all I had to do was calculate the area of a rectangle around it, and then subtract the pieces not in the polygon.

I'm just doing this as a parent volunteer at my son's school... I deserve a gold star for all of the work on that one!

I can really hear the birds singing this morning. And one has a nest under my eaves. Looking forward to seeing the babies once they hatch and learn to fly.

Today our church is going to celebrate Earth day. Our "Creative Care" committee is in charge of today's service so I am curious what they will do. Our church is trying to be more environmentally friendly.

Well I need to prepare my lesson for Sunday School- have a great (and mostly dry!) day everyone!

Lol Silver!

Yes I am busy these days and sometimes I wonder how I fit it all in!

My son came back from the campout and every thing was sopping wet. But he said his tent worked well and everyone had a great time.

Today I take him in to the high school to meet with the guidance counselor to map out his courses for next year. My baby is growing up!

I may be late for the math club, but they know that and the principal will cover for me.

State testing starts today- hope I can figure out the computers! This is my third year doing it (maybe fourth?). Some staff members will be watching me today to see how to do it...they went through the training but they wanted to see it in action before attempting on their own.

I start my online class tomorrow- never have done that before so I hope it works out.

Today was busy at work, but my boss was upset with me because I pulled the wrong students for testing. Ack. I will have to talk with her tomorrow... The students I tested needed to do it, but she had other ones she wanted me to do first.

A hot day here today- not used to that yet! A few days ago I was wearing a sweater!

Well- I just spent three hours for the online class. A lot of work so far, and I haven't made it through the first module for this week.

The other students know so much more than I, but I have found to my surprise that I know more than I thought! Purely from my last six months of experience.

The state testing went much better today- partly because I got there earlier to get more organized with the list of students still needing to test.

Usually the students are nervous and stressed but somehow the teachers prepared them such that they were truly excited to be able to take the test. I had third graders jumping with glee in the hallway! Lol. I wonder if they felt the same way after they were in the middle of the assessment...

Our principal and the executive director - both of whom were dismayed at the list of students I pulled for assessment- were much happier today. I guess some of them weren't scheduled to be assessed until next week because the teacher wasn't finished teaching s necessary unit.

In the end, the scores were decent enough, so I guess I am out of hot water now. The principal came in this morning to apologize for her reaction yesterday.

Yesterday I heard an interesting radio piece about high school treating in the US as compared with testing in other countries. It was an interesting piece and nice to learn how other countries handle education.

It was a really hot day today - 86 f - and just two days ago I had the heat on and was wearing a sweater!

Testing on Thursday was tough- somehow the printer wasn't working and then when I went to call for help then the phone wasn't working! Gah! Kids were in there testing and I couldn't leave! Fortunately I stuck my head into an adjoining room and had a student ask for help in the office.

Turns out they had had a meeting in there the night before and had unplugged the printer and took tge power strip and extension cord- which I knew- but when I plugged it into the "computer on wheels" charging station it didn't have power.

I got help and all was well- when trying to figure out the power I must have pulled the phone cord from a socket in another room. Did a little investigating with the cord and where it went and found the other end unplugged.

The building is 50 years old! Not enough power outlets and phone outlets.

Yesterday the testing went way better! My coworker and I worked as a team in adjoining rooms. I worked with students that had special accommodations and my coworker had the third graders in the next room. She had printer issues and I helped her. So much better having someone else in there! Anyhow, we are a good team and we got a lot done.

My online class is a lot of work but I am learning a lot on how to help kids with reading issues. I already have some ideas on how to better help some of my students.

I spent another 3 hours on the class last night and I am almost done with the first module. The next module comes out on Wednesday.

I do have one more major assignment to do and I also need to look ahead at the final project so I can be prepared. 6 weeks will go by fast!

I also got an email with information about a week long class about math curriculum I can take this summer- and I don't think there is a charge, since it is through the district! Definitely signing up for that one.

Yesterday it was perfect weather here - mid 70's and sunny and breezy! Beautiful!

Today the clouds have arrived and I hope it doesn't rain, because I have to mow the lawn and do so much yard work!

My online class is keeping me busy! I had a huge assignment due yesterday and so glad it is done. It was reporting an analysis and comparison of our state education standards.

After administering the state tests the past few weeks and with the class, I'm a bit brain dead...

Younger son is with me for the week- Yesterday he rode his bike the six miles to school. And home at the end of the day. He was very hungry when he got home and very worn out later. He went to bed at 8:30!

My son said he wants to cook for me for Mother's Day- so sweet! I'll see if my other son wants to come home for dinner that day too.

A glorious day here today- the sun is shining and the birds are singing!

I better get going to work - more state testing to do...

Went to a meeting last night with the scouts. The boys were running the meeting and I was so proud of all of them. The "Senior Patrol Leader" did a great job running the meeting- he's in high school now. I've known him since he was a 6 year old brand new Cub Scout, so little and so quiet and shy. He was so confident last night!

A parent came to talk about her son's severe food allergies, and all of the boys responded with big hearts and thoughtful suggestions. It brought tears to my eyes.

On a totally unrelated note, a spider must have gotten into my bed because I have spider bites up and down my left leg and they really really itch!!!!!

I changed my sheets to new ones but today I am going to thoroughly vacuum my room. I really hate spider season!

My son will be graduating from middle school next month and they asked for pictures from babyhood on, for a slide show. I've been down memory lane this evening! When I get a chance I'll post a few if my favorite baby pics of him.

I have one pic of him in scoobydoo underwear over his sweat pants, boots, and his arms up in joy. It's hilarious- and will be in the slide show with his blessing...

Ah they grow so fast- his 14th birthday is Saturday!

Thanks Silver - I went to the store and got some anti-itch spray, and some cortisone cream. They are beginning to heal, but I suspect it was a venomous spider so it may take a few months for the bites to heal.

My tetanus shot is current - since I camp with the scouts sometimes, they require that.

Happy birthday to my son! We had a quiet but really nice day.

I had suggested that he invite friends for a sleepover party or invite them to a movie, but in the end he decided not to do his party until he gets to his dads next week. I think it is because they have big screen tv's and better gaming systems there...

This evening my former inlaws took us out to a Mexican restaurant for my son's birthday dinner. My nephew was there and I have hardly seem him since my marriage broke up. We went back to my place to have some coffee and chocolate mousse and my nephew was so happy! He hadn't been to our place for a few years. He said that being here brought up such happy memories.

After they left my son wanted me to cut his hair with the clippers and usually I do a great job but this time I messed up a bit on the side, using the taper attachment. Well, I've done better- but it is not a huge disaster. My son's a good sport.

Last night I woke up and heard some noises that sounded like it was coming from the exhaust vent above the stove. This morning when I opened the drawer to get a clean kitchen towel there were mouse droppings all over in there.

So my day was spent running loads of dishes through the dishwasher, loads of laundry to wash all of the towels, and disinfecting the drawers.

Oh, and I set a mouse trap under the drawer.

I am not sure how the mouse got in, but I suspect one of the cats brought it in through the cat door. So I guess we are back to mouse season again!

Spiders and mice... Sigh...

I've been so busy with state testing and birthdays that I barely had time to complete my homework on time. But I think I did a good job on it. This class is going to help me with my job.

Hi Lum,

Well I have been told to expect lots of little creatures, including snakes. Hopefully, my cat and dog will take care of mice and their larger cousins.

You would think that with two cats I would not have a mouse problem. But I think they catch them out in the field by my house and then bring them home for lovely gifts...

Today was a great day. Went to church this morning and my younger son actually went too.

After church we picked up my older son and went home. The boys planned and cooked a dinner for Mothers Day. It was steak fajitas and it turned out really well! I went out and mowed the lawn while they cooked. I did get a bit concerned when I heard the smoke alarm go off, but in the end the dinner turned out great!

Then the three of us played a board game - of course I lost, but we all had fun.

My brain is tired from administering state tests the past few weeks. And then this afternoon I was needed to sub in a classroom til the end of the day.

There was a group of little boys that were arguing at recess- ack! Had to pull several of them aside to mediate arguments and hurt feelings and anger. Holy smokes I am glad I not in that classroom! I was glad it was only a few hours.

The principal is going to do a gratitude exercise with the class where each student had to write a thoughtful note about each student in the class.

My online class is stepping up the work and I have several assignments due tomorrow!

Got my assignments submitted early yesterday and so far so good. Already was graded for my work and all great feedback so far!

Work is still intense with the state testing but we have one more week and we are done.

Haven't heard whether I will have a job next year but there seems like there will be some shuffling because a few staff are retiring.

If I don't have a job next year then I will go back to school to become certified.

Last push on state testing today. The deadline is next Thursday, but the computer program always freezes up when you try testing on the last few days because everyone in the state is trying to finish...

And then I have to do district testing. Argh.

I am missing working with my students!

Still no word on jobs, but I suspect that they are waiting for state testing results before deciding which direction to go in. Right now they are still working on which students go to which class next year.