Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Tk there are so many different types of climates in the US- some places are desert regions, some are plains, and some are mountainous regions. Some southern climates are sunny and warm year round ( such as parts of California in the west and Florida in the east). Up in the mountains of course it can be cold all year long. And some places get constant drizzling rain but not much snow (Oregon and Washington State).

The west coast had a very unusual arctic freeze about six weeks ago and places got snow that rarely do.

And now the eastern and Midwestern portion of the US have had a lot of snow and very cold weather.

My area may get a few snow flurries this week but normally we do not get snow.

Oh what a slippery mess! It snowed about 5 inches. For some reason they did not call off school, so I did drive accross town to work. I have a big truck that has 4 wheel drive, so all went well. I was more worried about someone sliding into me.

Someone told me that they saw a police car in the ditch, and they even had chains on! Also, the news reported that there was a twenty car pile up on the freeway an hour away from here.

I did get a lot of work done today because a lot of kids were not at school. Did some testing done and got my paperwork organized.

Glad to be home now.

The snow stopped but then there was sleet and rain. Some people lost their power. Thankfully mine is still on!

Still lots of snow on the ground.

My older son never made it here to do his laundry. I called him to pick him up but he had to be somewhere that evening. And then it snowed, so I never bothered calling.

Then I received a text from him (while it was snowing all day) asking if I would pick him up so he could do his laundry here. My response was: hahahaha.

Even though my truck has 4 wheel drive, I explained that I didn't want to risk being run into by cars that can't stop.

My younger son is with his dad this week. The class he is taking is so good for him. Last week they talked about relationships and how to ask someone out and how to respond if someone asks you out. They even practiced and role played. They taught the kids how to decline in a kind way too. Then their names were all put in a hat and they had to pull a name out and practice asking them out and the person had to practice their response.

The week before was a session on Internet responsibility and safety. My son came home with a contract that he was to discuss with me and his dad. We talked about it, and I'm so glad they did that session! So pertinent in today's society.

Well- freezing rain means lots of limbs and trees down. I had power for half the day but then heard a thud and it went out. Turns out a tree took out the power line up the street and the neighbor said that the fence was smoldering where the live wire landed. They couldn't get through to the power company (lines busy) but they called 911. I expect it to be out for a while.

What was I thinking! My sheets and blankets from my bed are sopping wet in the dryer, lol...

Fortunately I have some clean ones from the guest room.

For dinner I can hear up water or soup on my camp stove outside. I have a great solar powered light that I bought at Costco last week and I can also power it up with a crank if needed. And I have other flashlights and a kerosene lamp if needed.

All is well- thankful for a roof over my head and food to eat and warm blankets...

I called my elderly neighbor accross the street and she has power and she is thankful that people are watching over her.

Haven't had the time to be on here this week much since I have been so busy.

Tonight I took my younger son to a high school information session- I can't believe he will be in high school already!

When we got there he saw a table of girls he knew and went and sat with them instead of me. Lol... One guy (my son) and a bunch of giggly girls... I'm going to have to watch him!

Work has been busy but in a good way. I felt a little overwhelmed this week because there have been a lot of referrals after the results of the state testing came back.

But I have been able to do the testing and parent notification letters and I will hopefully be able to fit everyone in.

The snow is almost completely melted. The temps have been in the 50's the past two days.

So nice to have power and heat and a wa place to be.

It's been pouring down rain all night. The rivers are already swollen from all of the melting snow, so I suspect there will be flooding near the rivers.

We do need the rain - or actually we need snow pack up in the mountains for water this summer. Otherwise we were headed for a drought this summer.

Happy Day everyone!

One of the benefits of my job is to work with sweet little souls.

Yesterday I went to get a student to work on reading but he was in the middle of making a valentine for his mom. I told him to bring it with him to my room and finish it there, which he did.

He would sit and think, and then very earnestly write down his sweet sentiments. He very painstakingly wrote in his very best handwriting. He was very sincere in his words and they came straight from the heart.

Normally this student is a jokester but he was truly full of love for his mom.

Here is what he wrote and then I will translate it for you:

Der Mommy I lluv yer smill. Yer eyes sporkll. Wen it is binnr tim you mace it with lluv.

(Dear Mommy I love your smile. Your eyes sparkle. When it is dinner time you make it with love.)

Such a sweet moment to be able to witness!

We are having lightning and thunder here but only drops of rain. At least we are having respite from the heat.

Hope you guys get some good rain soon! Surely you need it after all of that heat!

My cousin's wife said that she took her dog out for a walk last week and it was snowing out, and all of a sudden there was lightning and thunder! Her dog went back inside and tried to hide under the bed...

Today was foggy in the morning and a stunningly sunny day this afternoon. I went for a walk with a friend and her dog. They got there first so they walked up the path a bit whole waiting for me.

The dog took off after a squirrel when my friend said (my name) is here- let's go find her. The dog stopped in her tracks and went running up the path to see me. What a greeting committee she was! And I guess I rate higher than a squirrel- a real compliment! Lol...

It was crazy to see how much tree damage there was with the ice storm a few weeks ago. Many many limbs broke off and our whole area is scattered with limbs and debris.

Busy busy week for me- doing a lot of mom things and chauffeuring my son to activities for every night this week, but it is all good for him..,

Yesterday they couldn't find a sub for one of the classrooms do they shifted me over to work there for the day. Oh my, it is a lively classroom! I did the best I could but the person I was covering for is a pro so it was hard to fill her shoes...

Plus I missed working with my students.

I am hoping they won't need to shift me over today...