Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Younger son admitted to older son that he had some late homework already. I overheard older son tell him to get on it right after dinner. He did not, though. He went and turned on Netflix and spent much of the evening putting it off.

Finally I couldn't stand it and told him to go get it done. He got mad at me and told me that just because I told him to do it, he doesn't want me to win the argument so he won't go do it.

Aargh! Teenagers! I told him that he is the one who loses when he makes that choice. On his permanent high school transcript. I also told him that I will make him quit cross country if it is going to interfere with his studies...

He got it done. Finally.

I am going to explore the new web based parent information program to check up on his other assignments and grades...

LOL, my son was lucky parent web-based info like that didn't exist when he was at school!

At his old school they had Jupiter grades. It was helpful for me to look over assignments and grades. Usually this particular son got everything in on time and did a great job.

Adolescence seems to have transformed my son... Sigh...

But I will figure out this new system and I will put the pressure on him to start the school year out the right way.

My son's teachers have marks and assignments and notes posted on Edmodo. I know there are quite a few apps and things where parents can keep an eye on kid's assignments and marks.

I am so glad to be able to monitor the work and grades. So glad someone thought to create such programs! Parents can really be on top of it all, and students get more timely feedback.

I've been too busy to try it yet, but I think it will be great!

Today is a lazy Saturday- no games, no cross country meets, just doing things around the house.

Both boys are home today too, which is a rarity.

Tomorrow I am going to try to get us all in for pictures at a local store. This year I am doing this early and taking advantage of all of us home right now.

This weekend I am helping older son with shopping for his new apartment. He moves in on Tuesday. Hope all goes well with his new roommates. He only knows one but the other two are friends of that roommate.

This morning I cleaned all of the glass votive candle holders for my Sunday school classroom. Class started last week but I didn't have time to do it before.

I'm not quite sure how to clean off the wax residue- so I just heat up a kettle of water and pour it over the votives in a pan. That seems to melt it, then I wash them with soap and water and they are clean! But then I have to scrub out my pan, lol.

Now I'm off to the store to get some supplies for my classroom for tomorrow, so I can finish getting it set up for the year.

How are you doing with your son leaving home for good?

It is interesting- on the one hand his STUFF is spread all over the house - and I didn't really have room for it when he moved back for the summer. So that will be a relief.

He is moving up the street from our church, so I could always arrange to take him to lunch. He won't likely come to church unless food it's a potluck, lol.

I know I will see him so I'm fine with it. In fact I am excited for him!

I am also worried that he will annoy his roommates by leaving stuff out or not be aware of or considerate of his roommates. But that is feedback he will get from them. And that will be good for him.

He is at the stage where he needs to set out on his own to try things out and learn to live on his own.

His dad and I are supporting him while he is in school, so as long as he works and contributes, then all is well.

So, in a sense it is kind of a halfway house so he can try out his independence.

At one point he had mentioned that he might want to move back in with me after this year's lease is done. He wants to save money. But he does not know I would also charge him rent. I wouldn't be able to afford the extra expenses.

I am really glad I had him for the summer- I feel like we got closer. I got to give him some last minute life lessons and he has been more open with me than ever before.

But all of the stuff - I will be so relieved to see all of that go!

I didn't get called in to work today so I am working on things at home.

I need to get out to mow the lawn before it gets hot out.

Later I have a bunch of electronics to donate to the electronic recycling place- 2 dead tv's, a dead printer (that I loved way better than the one I have now) and a dead computer. Or two.

Time to clear my junk out the door...

Tomorrow is the big moving day for my son! He is thinking about his favorite recipes, since they will share cooking. This will be great life experience for him, since he is in a quad...

Younger son is with his dad this week.

Sigh, I've put it off long enough. Better go mow that lawn.

My son moved into his apartment today!

Last night I went into his room and he was playing some computer game. I told him to pack so he could move in the morning. His dad was supposed to come help at 8:30 this morning.

My son had that glazed look of being overwhelmed so I kept on him until he was mostly packed.

His dad showed up on time this morning and we loaded everything up in my truck and my ex's car and headed off to the apartment. When we got there they said that the clearance for the parking structure is 7' 1". My vehicle is a truck. We had measured my garage opening and it is 6' 9", and my truck gets through that.

When I got there I was really nervous about the heighth of my truck in the parking garage. Bit it all worked out. However it made me so nervous- I kept looking at the structure and beams as I drove up the garage.

Everytime the truck went under a beam I would duck my head, as if that would help lol...

Any how, his room is smallish but he has a bed and desk and a bookcase in the room. And that's all that fits...

Ha an lum I do the same thing when someone else is driving, it's like I'm looking for the breaks, lol.

How do you feel about him moving out? It's probably bittersweet. I'm sure it will help him in the long run though.

Hugs

I am excited for him! He has a lease for one year. He is only a few miles away- and his apartment is up the street from my church. He won't be coming to church much, if at all - since he is an atheist, lol. But I might meet him for lunch sometimes.

I went back last night to take over a few things my son forgot. But beforehand, I zipped over to Costco and got him some things he is going to need. And a big pizza, because he hadn't had dinner.

By the time I got there the last roommate was there getting set up. I had met her before as she had lived on his hall at the dorm. Her dad was there and her boyfriend, putting together the furniture.

I had to laugh- the kid's rooms were all furnished, courtesy of Ikea.

My son had unpacked and his room looked decent. He had a painting he had bought last year over the Internet, so he was putting that up- well, he was learning how to do that, lol.

I have him a hug and told him I loved him and went on my way...

At least he is close by and you can see him. That's really lovely of you to go and buy him a few things and pizza, it's something my mother would do. Ah mothers. Always thinking of something their child needs...and I never thought I'd say that until I became one myself.

Today is the first day we have had rain since last spring. It has been a long and very hot summer. There have been several wildfires this summer and even several fires around the city. I am so glad to hear the rain coming down as it will bring relief.

Oh- I have to laugh- now that it is raining, the other cat is back. He spent a glorious summer next door at the neighbor's but now that it is raining out, he has found a cozy spot on a warm and dry chair in my living room.

I told the neighbors that he is their summer cat and he moves to my house for the winter, lol. Technically he belonged to a neighbor that lives behind us, but I don't think he goes there anymore. He has decided on our two houses for his home. Actually, he thinks he owns the entire neighborhood.

The neighbors and I coordinate his vet visits and shots, etc.

I have a friend coming into town for a few days so I have a lot of housecleaning to do!

At least he is close by and you can see him. That's really lovely of you to go and buy him a few things and pizza, it's something my mother would do. Ah mothers. Always thinking of something their child needs...and I never thought I'd say that until I became one myself.

Petite, I almost said something about what you get to look forward to in about 17 years... The years go by so very fast!

I had gotten a box of framed photos out from the garage to see if my son wanted any of them. They were black and white photos that his dad had taken and processed in a makeshift dark room many years ago. As I pulled them out, I was surprised to find some framed paintings that my son had done in preschool! They were so cute.

I had written quotes of my son describing the picture underneath. So sweet! My son was touched that I had framed and saved them.

I had not opened that box because I thought it was all things from my ex - but I was saving them for my sons.

Both bathrooms clean, kitchen floor mopped and counters clean, 4 loads of laundry done, whole house vacuumed, and guest bed made up.

My friend got here just in time for dinner and we had a great salad with veggies from various friends' gardens. My friend is vegetarian so we had tofu pâté for the protein. It was very good.

It is Rosh Hashana here, so she came to town to go to services for the Jewish New Year. So she is gone for the evening.

Good thing, too! Because I broke the toilet seat while cleaning it and I had a replacement - I thought- but it is the wrong size. So I need to go to Home Depot to get the right size...

It was tough getting the bolts off from the broken one. Good thing everything was clean, because I had to get very "intimate" with the darn toilet twisting the bolt on top and holding the bottom part steady with a crescent wrench...

So I'm off for my errand.

Having fun with my friend J visiting this week from out of town. She brought a friend and friend's son home for lunch after services and we had smoothie, salad, and the boy had a sandwich. Afterward we played Taboo, which the boy liked. Our teams tied so that worked out.

Then they went back to an outdoor service by the river- called tashlich and cast some stones in the river. Here is an explanation about what it is:

link removed

Afterward she came home and I had made a tofu tikka masala for dinner over rice. Yumm!

While she was gone to the river, my son called to see if he could come home for a bit- he is at his dad's this week, but he had practice after school and then had to go to staff a fundraising cross country race to benefit his team. He would not have had time to go home to his dad's house because it is 12 miles out of town.

So I fed him some quick dinner and dropped him off at the race and zipped home to finish the tikka masala.

I told him he is always welcome at my house but that he needed to make arrangements ahead of time for rides. And his dad would have to pay me more for food and fuel, since it is technically his week.

But it was so nice to see my son a bit extra this week!