I'm so boring that I hate Disneyland! :(

Firiel

I am the most boring person in the world, and I hate it. I think I used to be fun, but the past couple of years I have pretty much started to hate fun. My in-laws are taking the family to Disneyland for my husband's college graduation, and I seriously don't even want to go. It's freaking Disneyland, and I'm just dreading it. All I see is a week of being overstimulated and overtired which will lead to breakdowns on my part because I am mentally unstable. All I want to do is sit at home and work on my summer schoolwork and stay on my same old regular schedule. It's ridiculous. I'm only 24. I'm still supposed to be having fun and laughing and staying up late and being young. Instead, I work as much as I can and avoid hanging out with people because it's outside of my safe little bubble.

I'm so lame. How do I fix myself?

If it's any consolation, I've never been to Disneyland and probably wouldn't consider that fun either. I dunno, I just feel like I outgrew Disney stuff when I was like 12. I don't get the hype about it at all.

I go out to bars and parties and such, but somehow my bedtime is still always around 10pm, lol.

Disneyland is not exactly high on my list of places to go to...neither is Las Vegas which is basically an amusement park for adults. Not enjoying places like that does not make a person boring...it just means that they have other interests. However, it does sound like you are in a bit of a rut and too comfortable hiding yourself away. I think just going away for a few days and doing something different (even if it is Disneyland) might do you a world of good.

I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a kid. And I probably won't go back until I have kids or go with my nieces. It seems rather an expensive and kind of stupid trip to me to take for a family vacation for a 20-something man who graduated, but whatever floats your boat. I'm sure you can find something interesting to do while there. I, for one, would rather take a vacation to a far away country than go to a theme park.

Haha.....I get in these modes too. I think it's because I AM such a routine oriented person, that anything that throws me off course seems annoying. Do you consider yourself a workaholic? Maybe you are and don't realize it.

Many times I will totally dread something but once I am there doing it I realize it's not so bad...and I end up enjoying it.

Try to just see it as doing something nice for your husband. It will probably mean a lot to him.

PS - Sorry if I sound judgemental here for a second, but I think that people who go on vacations to theme parks and resorts are more boring than people who take that same money and go off trekking to some unknown country, or drive cross country or whatever. IMHO, you don't get the sense of local culture and cuisine by staying at an all-inclusive resort. I think those are great for families with young kids, or groups of people, but when I have a vacation, I would rather go exploring, you know???

I think you could do much damage to your relationship with your husband and his family by refusing to go on this trip. It will seem churlish, ungrateful and will no doubt hurt them. Sometimes, you just have to go along with stuff like this and make the effort.

PS - yes, you should absolutely go and put a smile on your face. Look online on the website, and I'm sure you'll find some rides/attractions/restaurants that you are interested in, and then suggest those to your hubby's family when you are there. And I'm sure you can find an afternoon to just sit by the pool and read if you want to while everyone else goes off and does the rides.

If you are feeling this way sounds like you need the vacation!

You aren't lame. You work hard. But if you constantly push yourself go go go, you will burn out. If you are starting to 'hate fun' then you are getting into a work rut, for sure. The balance is off.

It's not that you "should" be out partying and being carefree and young. It's that it isn't healthy to work yourself to the bone and not have some breaks for recreation and fun and doing silly things like going to Disneyland as an adult with a big crew of crazy family. lol.

Try to have some fun!

Yeah, I am doing my best to be positive about it. It seems silly to me too. His whole family just really loves Disneyland. I went with them when my husband's brother graduated high school back when I was 21 or so, and I was stoked for it then. Even then, though, it was overstimulating for me. I'm an introvert, and being with a bunch of people 24/7 wears on me. I've been really struggling with keeping my emotions in check lately due to a recent encounter with really bad birth control, and I know I will be spending more time being stressed out about trying to remain upbeat, happy, and "perfect" than I will enjoying the time. I just wish I could get back to the old me that actually enjoys doing things and is fun. I just want to be a fun person to hang out with, but I always suck the fun out of all situations instead.

Edit: In case it's not clear, I'm not thinking about not going at all. I am 100% going for sure. And even though my husband knows I'm not super enthusiastic about the trip just because I suck at hiding my feelings and can't fake legit excitement, I haven't said to him what I've said here-- that I would really just rather stay home. He deserves a fun time with family because he really has worked hard to graduate from college. I genuinely do want to be more fun and enjoy things like this.

I know what you mean - because my idea of a vacation is more lazying around, free to either come and go with having to interact with others or not, that is how I recharge.

Maybe you could plan a separate thing for yourself in the near future that is your idea of "ahhhhhh, fun and relaxation, finally!".

Ha ha, three days after getting back from Disneyland, I have to go to a family reunion and spend time with my parents and sister which is 1000x worse than Disneyland would ever be. I'm spending so much time and money on vacation for other people this summer that I don't have the time or money to do anything that I am looking forward to.

It sounds rather overstimulating to me as well - long waits for rides, overpriced food, expensive admission fees, ugh. at least it's only for a week, at most, right? and you and your husband have your own room, so you can have some quiet time, right? i might "fake" a headache one morning so you can get a day of rest to yourself, but otherwise, just try to live in the moment and enjoy the trip. Just think of it as a fun opportunity to do something different. You can go to your apartment, and sleep and watch TV the rest of the year.

Doesn't mean you're boring at all. Just means you like different things. I don't like amusement parks even as a child I didn't like the really crazy rides. To me relaxing on the beach is more exciting than going to an amusement park. I find it funny when people go to Disneyland/ Disney World for their honeymoon.

Oh, I love my in-laws. I just have issues dealing with so much interaction and noise and heat and walking and people for so long. I would love to go for a couple of days, but I really do start to break down after a few days of constant interaction. And then I feel super pressured to just try to force myself to be happy and excited, but I always fail and end up cranky and then I feel like a terrible person. If I were just more fun, I wouldn't have to worry about any of this!

Awwz, lady, you are definitely not boring. My sister hates intense social interaction because she gets sensory overload, or something like that. Judging from your posts, you seem like a funny person in a self-deprecating way. I love people like that and they tend to make up most of my social circles.

When you go to Disneyland, just do whatever you want. Do you wanna stay in the shade and drink lemonade all day? Do it! As long as you're happy, you'll be in a decent mood and you'll be able to avoid fights with your husband. Unless him and his family want you to actively participate with them.

Take the place at your own place. Find places you like, and focus your time there. And don't be afraid to "Camp" a bit while the others run off to go stand in line.

If you know what things you don't like, avoid them. But in the end, EVERY place is like Disneyland - you have the things you want to see, the thingsyou DON'T want to do, and then the things you have to tolerate. You'll be fine!!

I'mm be honest on one thing, though - I wish I had the kind of family where reunions were a common event. My father's side is too disjointed and my mother's is getting up there. it speaks highly of your family that they have these reunions - so treasure what you have while you have it!!

Oh, I love my in-laws. I just have issues dealing with so much interaction and noise and heat and walking and people for so long. I would love to go for a couple of days, but I really do start to break down after a few days of constant interaction. And then I feel super pressured to just try to force myself to be happy and excited, but I always fail and end up cranky and then I feel like a terrible person. If I were just more fun, I wouldn't have to worry about any of this!

P.S. Kids LOOOOOVVVVEEEE Cranky adult-kids. LOVE! Thenagain, maybe that was jsut my sibs and I - we could smell fear, and once we know someone was fun but they didn't want to be fun, we cued in on it...

Be cranky for a day, or an hour. Take a break and get away for a bit. You'll be fine!

I would not like Disney either. Never been and ain't ever going. I am in Florida right now and I am not visiting Disney on purpose. There is no need to stand in hours long lines to over heat and puke and have a bad time. I hate big crushes of people too.

Archived