Dad keeps cracking stupid joke about my favorite movie

Good for you, you actually do housework instead of paying rent. Guess what...you'll have to do BOTH when you move out on your own

Clearly you missed the point entirely on why you needed a different viewpoint. [Hint: it has nothing to do with housework or your parents putting you up.]

As for me, I'm nothing special. But I have worked at a camp with kids who have MS, mentally handicapped children, and some Habitat for Humanity. I'm not saying this to brag (you asked). I'm saying it because if you've ever had to bathe and wipe the ass of a 12 year old boy because the year prior he lost the use of his legs and arms, I PROMISE you things like a corny joke wouldn't seem nearly as important.

OF COURSE I understand that there are people out there who have it worse! Just the other day my father and I watched the 1932 film Freaks; there was a guy with no arms or legs, and we agreed that we should be grateful for having our own. But if there's one thing I've learned, ignoring or belittling your own feelings doesn't help. I grew up with a stuttering problem, do you know what it's like to be mocked EVERY DAY for something you can't control?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm.....albeit subconsciously, it must show that it's annoying me. Maybe I should practice laughing next time he does it, then he will stop. Of course, most of the time "ignoring" or "laughing" with a bully just encourages them even more.

It actually doesn't. I was bullied my entire life in school - when I started laughing back at their jokes or ignoring them, they left me alone. Bullies look for the weak ones they know will take their crap. In seriously believe this is just how your dad does funny - it's not something you can change.

Not really. Dealt with a lot of bullies in my life and they almost always went away if you ignore them. They WANT a reaction. You do not give it they do not get their jollies.

In my experience, most bullies want an easy target. In Judy Blume's book "Letters to Judy: What your kids wish they could tell you" EVERY SINGLE letter had this line: "The teacher just says to ignore them, but that doesn't work."

Well take it or leave it, but what you are doing now isn't working, right?

Look, I needed to vent this out on here. I just don't get why after 12 years, he still gets a kick out of such a stupid joke. As I've made clear, it's not just the joke ~ He puts us down and yells at us a lot. "You got an 85 on the test? It should've been a 95!" He leaves his plates on the floor, throws things at us, calls us names, etc.

Look, I needed to vent this out on here. I just don't get why after 12 years, he still gets a kick out of such a stupid joke. As I've made clear, it's not just the joke ~ He puts us down and yells at us a lot. "You got an 85 on the test? It should've been a 95!" He leaves his plates on the floor, throws things at us, calls us names, etc.

We are listening to you. We are hearing you vent. If you want to vent and no advice cool. I got you now. You wanted advice, we gave it to you. You do not have to like it, you do not have to follow it. But do not get defensive with people trying to help you, it is not necessary. I have heard what you said and I told you the solution, move out. You said you can't. I get it. If you want to vent just say that. I am here to vent I want no actual advice because it makes me angry.

Think about it and maybe one day you'll get it.

I don't get why some people come on forums just to belittle the problem. I didn't need to hear you accusing me of being spoiled; I am nothing but nice to people I meet, but obviously if you're going to be rude it's only natural to be rude back. I do have empathy for others who are less fortunate, I just came here to vent & get some advice on how to get my dad to stop with the dumb joke. You act like I belittle others for their problems, I don't, but you do, camus154.

Autumnrose, the only one that is causing your unhappiness is you... over a movie. So he does something that is harmless but annoys you. That is what it is like living with anyone. Think of it as practice for your future relationships.

If there are bigger issues than this, then focus on those.

Back in '98, a woman on the news said she saw Titanic "over 100 times" in the theater. So more people are obsessed with it than you think.

But being obsessed with something does not make being obsessed a good thing. It has no feelings, it does not care, the movie cares nothing about you nor do the characters. YOU have feelings though because you are a person. Do not get bent up over an inanimate object and create yourself grief over it.

We are not belittling you,we are trying to get yourself to stop causing yourself grief.

Then why has this forum escalated the way it has? If you think my problem is insignificant, FINE, but don't comment on the forum!

Because your letting this in the way of your life. Does I really matter if your dad cracks a stupid joke for the rest of your life? He could show no interest in you, at all, or what you like. Have you ever stopped to think this is his way of play fighting with you?

But being obsessed with something does not make being obsessed a good thing. It has no feelings, it does not care, the movie cares nothing about you nor do the characters. YOU have feelings though because you are a person. Do not get bent up over an inanimate object and create yourself grief over it.

We are not belittling you,we are trying to get yourself to stop causing yourself grief.

The movie offered many people hope and inspiration. "It wasn't just a movie but a life experience!"

Archived