Dad keeps cracking stupid joke about my favorite movie

..behave what way? I'm nothing but nice and respectful of him, yet he doesn't reciprocate one iota. (Except of course, for giving me money.) You don't even know me, I never said anything "repetitive and/or not so nice" stuff when I was a teen. Back then, I was too dull to even be worth grounding.

She is not insulting you. She is telling you raising kids is NOT easy no matter how agreeable the child is. Try looking at everything is not against you.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're probably the one person in the world who didn't see (or like) Titanic. Sucks for you.

Well I have never seen it either and have no interest in it. I prefer what happened to the real people on the ship and to be concerned about those people and families. Not being interested in the same movie as someone else is no big deal.

How is it rude to tell him to stop making a joke that he hasn't stopped doing for 12 years? I agree with you on here that yes, he is doing it with the secret knowledge that he's trying to get to me. But he's not being funny, he's being stupid.

To you he is being stupid, to him it's being funny. For me I agree with Vic - doesn't matter hoe stupid I may think s joke my mom makes is, would NEVER talk bsck to her sbout it. It's just respect.

And yes, there are bigger issues with my dad. Just read the post where I said he yelled at tonight, claiming I don't respect my mother. B.S. He's always angry about something, and makes sarcastic jokes when one of us gets upset with him, when we have a legit right to be. So no, the "go for it" joke isn't the only thing on the table here.

I think you're probably the one person in the world who didn't see (or like) Titanic. Sucks for you.

Um, no. I saw it and hated it. I'm like Vic, I have always held a soft spot for the REAL Titantic and all that came with it - the movie was just a Hollywood money maker that made a bunch of young girls go ga-ga.

It's a joke your dad says, you should not be this bent out of shape over it. I think your counsellor needs to find out WHY it bothers you, not give you lines to shoot back at your dad.

..behave what way? I'm nothing but nice and respectful of him, yet he doesn't reciprocate one iota. (Except of course, for giving me money.) You don't even know me, I never said anything "repetitive and/or not so nice" stuff when I was a teen. Back then, I was too dull to even be worth grounding.

I am sure that your parents had to deal with the typical temper tantrums, etc when you were a little girl -just like most little girls - you might not remember of course since you were under 3 perhaps but it's highly unusual for parents not to have to deal with that. Obviously it doesn't mean you need to endure abusive behavior but what I wrote was meant to give you some perspective. Taking his money doesn't mean you have to put up with abuse but it does mean you need to be far more lenient with annoying behavior.

I did see the movie -several times -it's entertaining but kind of corny IMO. I find the documentaries about Titanic far more interesting.

Um, no. I saw it and hated it. I'm like Vic, I have always held a soft spot for the REAL Titantic and all that came with it - the movie was just a Hollywood money maker that made a bunch of young girls go ga-ga.

It's a joke your dad says, you should not be this bent out of shape over it. I think your counsellor needs to find out WHY it bothers you, not give you lines to shoot back at your dad.

In the original post, comeback-lines #2 and 4 were my own. The other 2 were the counselors; as you can see, those were more mature.

If any of us insults something my dad likes, he yells at us. So why is it ok for him to always crack that joke for 12 years, everytime the movie is on?

But, it is a movie, right? If he sees this does not bother you it will stop. When a bully gets no reaction they stop. You keep playing right into his hands every time. Just stop doing that. It is a movie. He does not share your liking of it. You love it. Just do not pay attention to his comments that is really all it takes.

In the original post, comeback-lines #2 and 4 were my own. The other 2 were the counselors; as you can see, those were more mature.

If any of us insults something my dad likes, he yells at us. So why is it ok for him to always crack that joke for 12 years, everytime the movie is on?

Because he's your dad. I'm 23 and my mom annoys the ever living crap out of me by giving me directions to places I'll never go but I live in HER house rent free and she is my mother - annoyance or not, she deserves my respect.

How often do you watch it? Sounds like you watch it a lot. Why don't you watch it in your room or watch it when he's not home and then your won't get ridiculed.

Or maybe move out and you can watch it a million times over on repeat. Actually that sounds like a great idea.

I did watch watch it in my room alone recently. But when Gloria Stuart passed away a few months ago, here's what happened:

Dad: "Guess who died yesterday?"

Me: "Who?"

Dad: " 'Go for it!' "

See how he loves that dumb joke for some weird reason?

I do watch it in my room alone, when he's not around. But when Gloria Stuart passed away a few months ago, here's what happened:

Dad: "Guess who died yesterday?"

Me: "Who?"

Dad: " 'Go for it!' "

See how he loves that dumb joke for some weird reason?

Then just walk away. When it no longer bothers you he won't do it.

Because he's your dad. I'm 23 and my mom annoys the ever living crap out of me by giving me directions to places I'll never go but I live in HER house rent free and she is my mother - annoyance or not, she deserves my respect.

Of course I respect my parents! But he acts like I don't! And when I try to explain to him to please stop doing something that is offensive, he blows me off. But then blows his top if something is directed towards him.

But, it is a movie, right? If he sees this does not bother you it will stop. When a bully gets no reaction they stop. You keep playing right into his hands every time. Just stop doing that. It is a movie. He does not share your liking of it. You love it. Just do not pay attention to his comments that is really all it takes.

I have not let him see me get upset or angry over this stupid joke. But after 12 years, wouldn't you get a little annoyed at hearing it every time a reference to the film is made?

Of course I respect my parents! But he acts like I don't! And when I try to explain to him to please stop doing something that is offensive, he blows me off. But then blows his top if something is directed towards him.

Oh no!

Your parents are putting you up while you get on your feet or do whatever it is you need to do right now. How about sucking up a corny joke now and then and being appreciative of what they are doing for you.

Go do Habitat for Humanity or work a soup kitchen one weekend. A different point of view would do you tremendous amounts of good.

I have not let him see me get upset or angry over this stupid joke. But after 12 years, wouldn't you get a little annoyed at hearing it every time a reference to the film is made?

After 12 years, wouldn't you have figured out a way of getting over it?

But obviously you have showed him it annoys you or why would he bother ribbing you about it? That makes no sense. But no I would not get bent out of shape about someone mocking a movie. I do not care about movies enough to have a fight about it. My husband and I DESPISE each other's selection of movie. We often mock each other about them playfully. I watch what I want and he watches what he wants. No biggie.

Oh no!

Your parents are putting you up while you get on your feet or do whatever it is you need to do right now. How about sucking up a corny joke now and then and being appreciative of what they are doing for you.

Go do Habitat for Humanity or work a soup kitchen one weekend. A different point of view would do you tremendous amounts of good.

After 12 years, wouldn't you have figured out a way of getting over it?

For your information, I clean up EVERY MESS in this house, do the laundry, clean dishes, and cook meals. That is how I'm earning my keep, just so you know. So sorry, I don't need a different point of view to "do me a tremendous amount of good." What do YOU do that's so great and helpful? Curing world hunger or aids, are you? I'm sure you are, congrats!!!!

For your information, I clean up EVERY MESS in this house, do the laundry, clean dishes, and cook meals. That is how I'm earning my keep, just so you know.

Good for you, you actually do housework instead of paying rent. Guess what...you'll have to do BOTH when you move out on your own

So sorry, I don't need a different point of view to "do me a tremendous amount of good." What do YOU do that's so great and helpful? Curing world hunger or aids, are you? I'm sure you are, congrats!!!!

Clearly you missed the point entirely on why you needed a different viewpoint. [Hint: it has nothing to do with housework or your parents putting you up.]

As for me, I'm nothing special. But I have worked at a camp with kids who have MS, mentally handicapped children, and some Habitat for Humanity. I'm not saying this to brag (you asked). I'm saying it because if you've ever had to bathe and wipe the ass of a 12 year old boy because the year prior he lost the use of his legs and arms, I PROMISE you things like a corny joke wouldn't seem nearly as important.

But obviously you have showed him it annoys you or why would he bother ribbing you about it? That makes no sense. But no I would not get bent out of shape about someone mocking a movie. I do not care about movies enough to have a fight about it. My husband and I DESPISE each other's selection of movie. We often mock each other about them playfully. I watch what I want and he watches what he wants. No biggie.

Hmmm.....albeit subconsciously, it must show that it's annoying me. Maybe I should practice laughing next time he does it, then he will stop. Of course, most of the time "ignoring" or "laughing" with a bully just encourages them even more.

Hmmm.....albeit subconsciously, it must show that it's annoying me. Maybe I should practice laughing next time he does it, then he will stop. Of course, most of the time "ignoring" or "laughing" with a bully just encourages them even more.

Not really. Dealt with a lot of bullies in my life and they almost always went away if you ignore them. They WANT a reaction. You do not give it they do not get their jollies.

Anywho, that is my advice. Ignore him. And get moved out.

Archived