Post a picture of your Engagement Ring! (or Wedding band)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For everyone who wants platinum....just a word of warning....it looks really nice to begin with, but scratches really easy and once it does, it will look "dull" and there's not much you can do to get the "shine" back. Now, on the plus side, it will never change color, like white gold will, but I've seen so many people with platinum rings that don't look very nice after a while and there's really nothing you can do about it. Also, if you get a platinum head for the diamond, make sure to have it checked often because it's a rather "soft" metal and the head will almost always loosen up. (BTW, I work at a jewelry store and have been around the same store for the past 20+ years because my BFF's parents used to own it)

For everyone who wants platinum....just a word of warning....it looks really nice to begin with, but scratches really easy and once it does, it will look "dull" and there's not much you can do to get the "shine" back. Now, on the plus side, it will never change color, like white gold will, but I've seen so many people with platinum rings that don't look very nice after a while and there's really nothing you can do about it. Also, if you get a platinum head for the diamond, make sure to have it checked often because it's a rather "soft" metal and the head will almost always loosen up. (BTW, I work at a jewelry store and have been around the same store for the past 20+ years because my BFF's parents used to own it)

What metal would you recommend for a setting then?

This isn't quite accurate. When platinum gets scratched, you don't lose the metal like when gold scratches. The scratch displaces the metal so any jeweller worth their salt can push the platinum back into their respective grooves which will bring back the shine on platinum bands.

Also, platinum is almost twice as hard on the Mohs hardness scale as 24K gold.

Platinum = approx. 4 - 4.5

24K gold = approx 2.5 - 3

It's the alloy metals that make any gold below 24K harder. I have no idea what 14K - 18K would be rated on the Mohs hardness scale.

My band is palladium and it looks as shiny as the day I received it. Additionally, since it is not plated like white gold, the color will never wear off. (Also, it was quite a bit cheaper than either white gold or platinum).

edit: to add that I knock my hand in to things all day long and it still looks gorgeous. An ex coworker of mine who used to be in the jewelry business told me that I could probably hit it with a sledge hammer and it wouldn't be affected. And no, I didn't try that.

Palladium? I haven't heard of that...that's cool! I will look into that for the future.

I don't have a ring...but my longterm boyfriend gave me a necklace to wear. I always wear it underneath my shirt and times when I'm alone and thinking about him, I pull it out and hold it in my hand.

image removed

It's a fake opal (I really don't want to wear a real one) and a silver chain.

ok, i have a question.

which ring do you guys like more. the solitaire tiffany 1.5 carats

or

the one attached. center stone 1.5 side stone .52 tcw = 2.73

Is this an urgent question?

I like the solitaire better by far. To me those side stones are really large too - the cluster of diamonds is just too big for my taste! But the ring you posted also seems to have channel set diamonds all the way around the band? Would the solitaire ring have them too? Either way my preference is the same.

Is this an urgent question?

I like the solitaire better by far. To me those side stones are really large too - the cluster of diamonds is just too big for my taste! But the ring you posted also seems to have channel set diamonds all the way around the band? Would the solitaire ring have them too? Either way my preference is the same.

let me post a picture of the solitaire one..

*looks*

there!

Honestly, I think you'll have to try them on to see which you like best on your hands. I always thought I'd go super traditional, have a solitaire and then we'd have plain matching bands. But DH did a wonderful job picking mine out and I love his too:

Engagement removed[/i]

My band removed[/i]

His band removed[/i]

And going to the website I now see that mine have been marked down a couple hundred each. Why couldn't they have done that sooner?

Honestly, I think you'll have to try them on to see which you like best on your hands. I always thought I'd go super traditional, have a solitaire and then we'd have plain matching bands. But DH did a wonderful job picking mine out and I love his too:

Engagement removed[/i]

My band removed[/i]

His band removed[/i]

And going to the website I now see that mine have been marked down a couple hundred each. Why couldn't they have done that sooner?

I like that you guys matched all 3 rings.

I think the diamonds on the wedding band is pretty, but I prefer a plain band with something inscribed on the inside.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got engaged yesterday!!! Ahhh! He did it early, so we aren't telling my parents/family until we go up my home state (where he was supposed to propose!) because he and my dad had a big plan and we don't want to ruin it for them! Sorry to just ramble, but I'm so excited and really can't tell anyone (other than his family, who were not too happy with him for ruining the surprise, but he just couldn't wait!) for almost 3 weeks! Anywhere here is my beautiful ring that I had absolutely no input in, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE. He picked it out himself, and the center stone is his grandmother's. I didn't really know what I wanted, however, somehow by some magical way, he did.

I just got engaged yesterday!!! Ahhh! He did it early, so we aren't telling my parents/family until we go up my home state (where he was supposed to propose!) because he and my dad had a big plan and we don't want to ruin it for them! Sorry to just ramble, but I'm so excited and really can't tell anyone (other than his family, who were not too happy with him for ruining the surprise, but he just couldn't wait!) for almost 3 weeks! Anywhere here is my beautiful ring that I had absolutely no input in, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE. He picked it out himself, and the center stone is his grandmother's. I didn't really know what I wanted, however, somehow by some magical way, he did.

That's stunning! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!

0.0 Holy cow that's a ring! Congrats tinkerbellkj! It's a GORGEOUS ring.

soooo pretty!!! congrats to you!

my boyfriend (fiancee!!! ahh!) proposed yesterday as well! i couldn't wait to update this thread and your post reminded me to haha

here's my ring!

image removed

not the best picture but let's just say i love it

Thank you! And congrats Hers! Very pretty, and I can tell it is very shiny! Did he pick it out himself??

he did. he asked if it was the exact one i wanted (you can see the one I had picked out for myself on this thread, like first or second page) and i told him i dont even care...i think it's perfect

That is so the best part! I never told him what I wanted, and honestly, I never really knew, I had seen rings I thought were beautiful of course (I had ring envy for a long time haha!), but when he gave me this ring I was in absolute shock! He chose it all by himself (and believe me, he's not the type who enjoys to shop!), and just got feedback from the girls at his office, his sister and mother. I was instantly in love, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen because it was mine and he had picked it out all by himself!

Archived