Post a picture of your Engagement Ring! (or Wedding band)

I just got engaged yesterday!!! Ahhh! He did it early, so we aren't telling my parents/family until we go up my home state (where he was supposed to propose!) because he and my dad had a big plan and we don't want to ruin it for them! Sorry to just ramble, but I'm so excited and really can't tell anyone (other than his family, who were not too happy with him for ruining the surprise, but he just couldn't wait!) for almost 3 weeks! Anywhere here is my beautiful ring that I had absolutely no input in, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE. He picked it out himself, and the center stone is his grandmother's. I didn't really know what I wanted, however, somehow by some magical way, he did.

Wow your ring and story are very similar to mine. The only difference is mine is oval and yours is round. I didn't know what I wanted and we were supposed to go shopping together to look at rings.

Instead, he came home with this ring

image removed

Which has his mothers stone in the middle. He picked it out all by himself and I love it so much.

Your ring is beautiful! Congrats!!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asti you sly thing, you never posted that you had gotten engaged! (at least as far as I saw). You and your fiance have just always sounded so wonderful to me, and have such a lovely story - I was rooting for this to happen! CONGRATS!

(And yes, beautiful ring)

Asti you sly thing, you never posted that you had gotten engaged! (at least as far as I saw). You and your fiance have just always sounded so wonderful to me, and have such a lovely story - I was rooting for this to happen! CONGRATS!

(And yes, beautiful ring)

Me too!!! Sigh.

Me too!!! Sigh.

Every time I read something that Asti has to say about her boyfriend/fiance on a thread, it's just so incredibly adorable that I'm both really happy and insanely envious - send his brother down over to Sophieville! But really, they are just so great to each other. Best wishes for many many many years of marriage, Asti!

Every time I read something that Asti has to say about her boyfriend/fiance on a thread, it's just so incredibly adorable that I'm both really happy and insanely envious - send his brother down over to Sophieville! But really, they are just so great to each other. Best wishes for many many many years of marriage, Asti!

I know, I feel and think the exact same thing. It's so sweet and loving. You two are so lucky to have found each other. This one's forever.

Aww yea, I'm not really the type to announce it out haha. Even at work, my co-worker went around telling everyone for me!!

It was a perfect proposal. Our favourite hiking spot high above. No one around.

image removed

Aww yea, I'm not really the type to announce it out haha. Even at work, my co-worker went around telling everyone for me!!

It was a perfect proposal. Our favourite hiking spot high above. No one around.

image removed

That sounds wonderful. That's my idea of a perfect proposal - something really private and intimate and in "your" place.

I need to stop gushing. Congrats one last time though!

For everyone who wants platinum....just a word of warning....it looks really nice to begin with, but scratches really easy and once it does, it will look "dull" and there's not much you can do to get the "shine" back. Now, on the plus side, it will never change color, like white gold will, but I've seen so many people with platinum rings that don't look very nice after a while and there's really nothing you can do about it. Also, if you get a platinum head for the diamond, make sure to have it checked often because it's a rather "soft" metal and the head will almost always loosen up. (BTW, I work at a jewelry store and have been around the same store for the past 20+ years because my BFF's parents used to own it)

This isn't quite accurate. When platinum gets scratched, you don't lose the metal like when gold scratches. The scratch displaces the metal so any jeweller worth their salt can push the platinum back into their respective grooves which will bring back the shine on platinum bands.

Also, platinum is almost twice as hard on the Mohs hardness scale as 24K gold.

Platinum = approx. 4 - 4.5

24K gold = approx 2.5 - 3

It's the alloy metals that make any gold below 24K harder. I have no idea what 14K - 18K would be rated on the Mohs hardness scale.

You are correct that platinum is harder than 24K gold, but jewelry is not made of 24K gold....and 14K is stronger than most platinum alloys (and, despite popular belief, the platinum used in jewelry IS an alloy, just much purer than the gold alloy used...platinum is usually 90-95% platinum)...18K is pretty comparable. Also, platinum repair is much more involved than simply "pushing the metal" back...it takes different equipment to work with...which is why it's also much more expensive.

What metal would you recommend for a setting then?

I'm not saying you shouldn't use platinum, because it does have its advantages. It never loses its "white" color, it wears much better than gold (the jewelry shouldn't become thin over time, even if you polish it regularly), it's also considered "hypoallergenic"(because of the limited amount of other metal-usually iridium-in the alloy), and is much heavier (which, to some is also a disadvantage). Palladium is quite similar to platinum (same "family" of metals), but is also much lighter (AND cheaper, DOUBLE BONUS!!). In our store, we have plain wedding bands made of different materials, and the platinum is almost 3x as heavy. A lot of people are also going with tungsten or titanium because they will RARELY scratch (although the downside is that they can't be sized)....tungsten is heavy like platinum, titanium is lighter like palladium, but tungsten is the hardest metal around.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived